Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
12V Power Plug in for 12v T.V.

When I plug my 12V t.v. plug in into the 12v power supply, the t.v. works fine for about 2-3 minutes or more, and then the power just goes off. I then unplug the plug in, then plug it right back in and it works again. And it repeats this cycle. It does not blow a fuse. Can anyone explain to me what is happening? Thanks......
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Hate not being able to see year and model trailer on phone.

What 12v power supply are you using? What are you plugging it into, cigarette lighter type socket?

That being said not knowing the specific setup you're likely blowing a inline glass fuse. There is probably one in the male 12v plug thats on the tv cord going into the outlet. Sometimes when they blow the metal ends deflect due to the heat. They are so small that they cool very quickly. When they cool the contracting metal can deflect back to where it is touching it's other broken end again allowing current until it heats up and deflects again.

Other possibility is that there is a 12v automatically resetting circuit breaker that actually works on the principle above. It may be going bad.

Are you unplugging it as soon as it goes off? If so try leaving it plugged in for a few minutes to see if it comes back on by itself then goes back off again after a few minutes. That will indicate the above is likely.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Is yours a motor home like this, now approaching 20 years in age? [edit -- see PS2]

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...cht-tennessee/

Do all the other 12-volt functions work, including other cigarette lighter style outlets?

Do you have any other 12-volt appliances which you could plug into the suspect outlet, and do they cause the same power interruption? Recent suggestions by Joe also make sense IMO. Have you located the circuit breaker for this outlet? Does the TV work correctly in other outlets?

If you could provide more details we could probably figure his out, as there are some pretty knowledgeable motor home owners here.

Good luck!

Peter

PS can you check with the prior owner on this?

PS2 your other thread for everyone's information: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f156...es-149767.html

You referred to the manual in that thread so are there 12-volt schematics in it? Any word on the circuit breakers being ones that reset as Joe suggested?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
Sorry it took me awhile to reply, but was having trouble getting on the site....anyway, I think Joe nailed it. I have a 1998 Airstream Land Yacht, and all the 12v outlets work. On this particular one, in the bedroom, when I plug it in...the plug in will get warm/hot, and will go off (it has a red light showing power on it) and then after about 20 seconds or so, it will come back on by itself. So it has to be doing what Joe said....burning the filament/wire, and when cooling re-attaching and back to providing power. So, my next question would be, does anyone know where I should, or can, purchase a heavier duty 12v plug in ? (I super appreciate reading this site, I have and am learning so much.)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Sorry it took me awhile to reply, but was having trouble getting on the site....anyway, I think Joe nailed it. I have a 1998 Airstream Land Yacht, and all the 12v outlets work. On this particular one, in the bedroom, when I plug it in...the plug in will get warm/hot, and will go off (it has a red light showing power on it) and then after about 20 seconds or so, it will come back on by itself. So it has to be doing what Joe said....burning the filament/wire, and when cooling re-attaching and back to providing power. So, my next question would be, does anyone know where I should, or can, purchase a heavier duty 12v plug in ? (I super appreciate reading this site, I have and am learning so much.)
First just try opening up the fuse holder and replacing the fuse. See if that works since it will keep your original protection. If that fuse blows quickly then you'll know you may have another problem to look for.

Blue sea systems makes some nice 12v outlets.
Do you have photo of the one there now? Is it one that's part of a wall plate size outlet. They still make those. Vintage trailer supply has a few different ones.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
I will try and change the fuse and see what happens. Here are a couple of pictures. Looks like a store bought add on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01530.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	271252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01533.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	271253  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01534.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	271254  
Old 09-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Oh yeah, auto zone! you can do better than that thing!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
I am going to pick up a different 12v outlet then, and give it a try. I assume the corded plug in is sufficient? I've searched and searched for them and they all kinda seem to be the same. I appreciate your help. I post results after I find a better one. Thanks. Don.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
There should be a fuse inside that 12v cord plug. The one that looks like a pistol that goes to the tv. Looking at it it may take removing screws to get it open. That's the likely culprit.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
Got it working now. That pistol looking 12v plug was/is junk ! I had tried different fuses in it with no luck....went looking around for a "heavier duty" 12v plug, and was given looks like I was crazy...haha I was told by everyone that 12v is 12v....so I just picked up a $5 12v plug and gave it a try, and it worked. It didn't get hot or anything, so all along it was that the original 12v plug was just a bad unit altogether. Joe and Orta, I super appreciate helping me out. The suggestions/ideas given helped me figure this out...in a cheap manner. Thanks again !!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Glad it's working for you.

Out of curiosity, the tv still has the energy sticker on it , is it new? What kind? Did the first 12v supply come with it or separate? Is it 120v and 12v?
Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1998 33' Land Yacht
Greenville , Illinois
Yes, it's a new one. It runs off both 110 AC and 12v DC. It came with a 110 AC power adapter, but I had to order the "pistol" shaped 12v plug in that was supposed to match the Insignia brand t.v., but that was the one that was junk. So it really didn't matter as long as it was a 12v plug in. It's an Insignia 12v t.v. I purchased it at Best Buy. I had to take the display model though, as the manager said they aren't making the 19" 12v models any longer.....but they still make the 24" 12v/110 t.v. and I bought one of them for the front of the RV. Same as the other, came with power adapter for 110 but had to get my own 12v plug in. Oh, and they are both digital HD. They have great pictures.

Obviously they are upgrades, as the other 2 tv sets were the big box units. Front unit was only 110 and rear was only 12v. They were both original units, and I got rid of them. These are nice, as both has the two power options. Kinda nice for use with shore power and the ability to switch to batteries if needed.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad it worked out, we are thinking about getting a 12-volt combo TV also. Thanks for the updates.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v