Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

I have fill timed in a 25 footer for the last two years There has been vey few problems sans running out of propane. An emergency generator is a requiremet. I have been quite comfortable in temps of -10F.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
week 1 for us

We just started this week - having never lived in a trailer before, we were immediately faced with challenges. We also didn't really do a proper test of our systems (or learn how!). I don't recommend doing it that way!

We were also planning to do a lot of boondocking. We ended up in the Flagstaff KOA - to plug in. We were lucky to be shown the ropes in "dumping" from an old timer Airstreamer...now we know - when we need support, go to a park!

Good luck with your plan -

*people keep telling us to have a good trip - we keep replying "it's not a trip!"

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 PM   #43
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Way-to-go!

flyingcloud,

Way-to-go, jumping right in ... and having a blast too I suppose.

My kind of impulse adventure.

Nothing you encounter is really a big deal, except the journey itself.

And of course, there is nothing you can't fix yourself ... if your handy ........with a check book!

Happy Trails!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

In the winter:

Leave your furnace running (on low) at all times when you are gone. Otherwise you pipes will burst and water will freeze in the dishes left in the sink. It will start freezing at around 25F, not 32F.

You will go through propane like crazy. You need more than 2 30# tanks, 2 additonal tanks are good but a bigger 100# tank is even better (if you have the place to store it when you don't need it)

Need to get a heat tape and insulate your water hose well *before* it's 25F outside, dark, downright miserable, snowing maybe, and your water hose has been frozen for 3 days and you cannot take a shower. Then you still must not forget to leave a little bit of water dripping because it will freeze even with the heat tape at the point where it enters the camper (it cannot be insulated there). A light will help too, a bit, but all of the above needs to be done and maybe then you get to take a shower when it's 18F at 6AM.

32' is the minimum unit I would consider for full-timing. IMO. 35' is really better, towing issues never-mind. That's *my* expectation, not for everyone.

Space is critical and how you store your stuff. I have a lot of clothing, misc. stuff so I have to be super neat, which I am not.

You will miss internet and phone big time. Look into alternatives. Which are expensive. Have to learn about wireless internet and stuff you had no idea existed while you lived in the "world".

The biggest problem with full timing is not the unit you are in but the place you are at... makes the biggest difference. 25' vs 32' doesn't matter as much as that.

There is lots more but that's the essentials. Pretty much common sense but becomes obvious when you encounter it.

It's a special mindset you have to have... definitely not for everyone. You will have issues, the older the camper, the more issues. I've been relatively luckly because I haven't had major failures of anything (fridge, univolt, furnace, etc) and the failures I've were largely the result of my own incompetence... but I've gotten wiser....