2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Full Time Set up

Originally Posted by Excellaphant
I will be starting tonight, I plan on staying 5-7 nights a week and plan on
doing it for the next year or so.

I have a perfectly stock vehicle right now, I do plan on a few modifications
though to make it a bit more livable for extended periods of time.

Things like:

An LCD TV that moves out of the way. On an arm/ wall bracket.

A Computer based Entertainment System (HTPC) since I won't have
too much space for CD/DVD storage.

Some kind of nice speaker installation, since I want to use my record
player and have decent speakers. (record storage is another problem)

The shower could use some modifications, I'd like to install some
better fixtures. I don't like the shower head on a hose deal.

That's just some ideas. I really don't know how feasable they are
from a mechanical aspect since I want to keep my Airstream as
stock as possible.

I'll post when something gets done though.

How has your setup for the Airstream progressed? Your idea about a computer based entertainment system really caught my attention!

While we are not full timing (would love to though) we use an Apple IBook on all of our trips. This summer while contracting in WV I lived out of the Airstream for a month +. I purchased an Elgato Eye TV USB box for the Mac. That basically made the Mac capable of viewing and recording TV just like a Tivo.

Additionally with my ITunes I carried more than 200 CD's worth of music along with me. We have a USB powered FM transmitter that connects to the Mac and broadcasts to our radio in the Airstream. Instant surround sound. In the space of less than my sink the Mac is a DVD player, TV, Video Recorder, and music center.

The latest IMacs have really caught our attention. Look at a flat panel TV, then look at an IMac......many possibilites there! Just need to figure out how to mount the IMac base on a swing out stand!

Thought I'd toss in $.02! My wife & I are tech junkies. Drop a note if you'd like, as I know this has gone slightly off topic.

Rich Charpentier

Rich C.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via AIM to nyairdream

i havnt been on here much but just thought id write a line to say hi

nyairdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Stillvering = non-moving aluminum abode.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #18
2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
We live full-time in our as. For winter we used heat tape and bubble wrap in the areas in direct elements. We did fine . We also had the local gas company to fill larger propane canisters and used quick connects. Inside we put up a flat screen tv and installed central vac.We are still working on storage ...we'll get there!!!!
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Excella 500
charlottesville , Virginia
Hi everyone,
I have been living full time in my AS since November of 2005. I have never been happier in my life. I have a few friends who wonder about me out here in this little aluminum cocoon, but to me it is heaven. I have moved it twice since November, but right now I am in the coolest place ever. I live about 10 miles outside of Eureka Springs. AR about 1 mile from the White River and 3 miles to Beaver Dam. It is gorgous here, the winter was rough, but I made it without any broken pipes. I had one weekend I got snowed in town and could not drive the curvy icey road to my AS, I was really worried about the freezing temps, esp me gone and heat turned down, but things were fine, I put some thin insulation around the bottom that was silver like the AS, and it looks so cool. Color matched perfect and that kept the pipes from freezing, plus I did all the heat wrap everyone is talking about as well. I put carpet down in the kitchen and bathroom and that helped with the floor, it got really cold before I did that. Still I guess that the biggest problem is that in winter it did not hold heat well and at night it got coolllldddd. But this weather here right now is making up for it and I live in such a nice place, I have one other person for a neighbor who has (of all things) another AS, but he is only here on some weekends. So for the most part I am living out here in this nice open space by myself. (Oh did I mention my little Shar-Pei, Peaches?) Well she loves it here too! Jimmieanna

jimmieanna is offline   Reply With Quote