Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Where do you keep your shoes?

Sorry, hope it is ok to post this here, couldn't figure out where else to ask this. We are not full timers but spend almost every weekend and spare minute we have in our Airstream and I feel like it is 99% organized except for the shoes....

Figured I would ask all of you "full timers" where you keep you shoes? I feel like we are always tripping over them as we leave them right at the door entry inside the AS. It drives me a little nuts as I have a little OCD issue with organization and keeping things where they belong.

Was wondering if anyone out there has any "easily accessible" yet "out of the way" storage solution for shoes.

Thanks so much and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong section
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Glad you asked this question. We keep ours by the door as well and we are always tripping over them. I like for things to look tidy and put away. CU, Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Mounted one of those cloth hanging shoe holder gadgets in one of our closets. Holds 6 pair, almost enough for my wife!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
_

. , .
ok, the obvious answer is ON yer feet (all 3 of them).

it's hard to imagine ONE universal location given the variety of a/s models, sizes and storage nooks.

foot size AND aroma may also enter into the decision.

the bigger classics have a small hatch UNDER the dinette right at the entry door.

i keep a few basic tools and one pair of mud'rs there.

the main closet has one of these...

Name:   shoe-thing.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  5.7 KB

they are light weight, inexpensive and each hole will handle 2 shoes.

many of the beds have sliders or storage drawers in the platform, another place for shuz...

those drawers can be modified JUST for feet things...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...tml#post237686

(keep scrolling down from the link above)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...tml#post238725

special purpose shoes (cycling, climbing, yaking) are stored in gear bags along with other bits for the activity,

and that stuff is often IN the truck bed storage bins.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Under Dinette Bench seats. Carry 3 for each person .Gym Shoe, Teva and
Slip on LL Bean Type Shoe.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
We have "inside" shoes and "outside" Crocs when we use the AS. We keep the Crocs outside to minimize dirt.

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
My hubby and I keep the shoes we are not wearing under the street side bed in a cubby. Our kids can put their extra shoes in their assigned cubbies - but more often they are under the table. Both kids shoes end up under the table at night. With only 16 inches of closet space - I found the hanging shoe organizer irritated me more than it helped so out it went.
SRoffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Not a lot of shoe space in our 24' Trade Wind. But what works for me is to place each pair in a plastic grocery bag and toss them into the bottom of my wardrobe. The bags keep the dirt out of the wardrobe. Lynn has the larger wardrobe (of course) and places hers on the floor.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Where, oh where?

I tend to keep a pair of rubber muck boot brand slip-on low shoes outside for dewy / rainy walkabouts (I have some unwarranted confidence that the rubber won't attract gnawing vermin, but no real data on this), a pair of slip-ons inside the door for indoor wear when I'm not just barefoot, and then ...

several other pairs (or occasionally half-pairs! ) in palces I can never find them, such as: in the bed of the truck buried under something heavy, in an A/S plastic tray under the gaucho, in the bottom of a closet, under the front seat of the truck, forgotten at home, stuffed in bicycle panniers, etc. Once I figure out the REAL answer to your question, I'll write back.

For me, the biggest issue is that shoes / boots that come inside tend to bring dirt, leaves, snow, mud, careless folks' dog droppings, etc. (collectively known as "stuff") inside with them, and I generally want as much "stuff" to stay outside as is possible.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
1977 28' Argosy 28
Lyngby , Denmark
Click: Canvas shoe pockets
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
2air is right, because of the vast difference in floor plans, it is difficult to suggest one place. Our 20' Safari has a small tray at the bottom of the cabinet to the left of the door that will hold 2-3 pairs of shoes placed toe down. That is where we put either the slippers we wear inside or the shoes we will be wearing when we go outside, changing them as we come and go. The rest of our shoes (hiking boots, bicycle shoes, etc) go in a plastic tub under the bed so that we can retrieve them easily when we want a specific pair.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Our CCD 25 International has three sweater box totes under the sofa in front of trailer. Conveniently, one is almost immediately beside front door and where we sit at sofa or ottoman to put on or take off shoes. We seem to have accumulated shoes in over three years full-time. Crocs, sandals, hiking shoes, court shoes, and fleece-lined slippers stay in the tote, and we each keep a pair of sandals or sneakers at ready. The tote is the limit, though, (except for gtx king boots for backpacking, they are in separate compartment) so if we want another pair of anything it has to fit in the tote or no go.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post

For me, the biggest issue is that shoes / boots that come inside tend to bring dirt, leaves, snow, mud, careless folks' dog droppings, etc. (collectively known as "stuff") inside with them, and I generally want as much "stuff" to stay outside as is possible.

Thank you. In addition to your list, there are pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals that are picked up on shoes.

We slip shoes off at the door of our Interstate, and at the door of our home. Why anyone would want all that %#*% in their residence, to walk around on in bare feet, is beyond me. Yuck!

We store shoes we are not wearing in ziplock bags under one of the rear benches. Space is always an issue, so we only carry a couple of basic pairs apiece. Bags keep all the %#*! contained and out of your living space, and your shoes otherwise dust free until you put them on. Voila!

Maggie
Old 04-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Saint Paul , Minnesota
IKEA makes some handy shoe bins that are also great for storing magazines, travel catalogs, maps, paper plates, bathroom supplies and numerous other things.

IKEA | Bedroom storage | Shoe cabinets | TRONES | Shoe storage
Cambium29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
In our Argosy 24, there is a ledge over the water tank in the front under the dinette, and that is where my sandals go when I kick them off at night. Otherwise, under the bed at night, where they are out of the way but handy in the morning. Boots live in a cubby under the bed that has lost it's drawer, and we have one of those canvas shelf things in the closet that holds extra shoes that we think we might need (I need to weed these out, I don't think I have worn any of them in the last 3 years!
We never leave them out at night, there are stray dogs at the campground where we stay most often, and they have been known to make off with such things !

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
organization, shoes, storage