Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3campers View Post
Throw a bike lock around everything and lock it to your AS! Don't forget the combo!
Yup, I have a bucket of chain and padlocks for the bbq, bike, chairs........ A really heavy chain and really BIG lock for the generator.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
We tow the 'old fashion' way.....with a CAR. And it's a convertible too. It does keep us 'frugal' to what we take. What doesn't fit in the CAR travels in the Trade Wind. My dear wife has her 'stuff' which she deals with. She also has to deal with listening to me everytime I set up. By the time the trailer is unhitched, level, stablilized, power connected, sewer connected, water connected, tv antenna connected.......I'm tired and ready for a beer. I step up into the trailer and have to stop. DW has piled all the 'cargo'.....chairs, mat, bbq, extra folding tables, folding bike.....for me to take out and set up. Most of our travels are to camp for several days so we do take much. For short weekend or overnight stays we DO take way less. The back seat of the convertible used to be very handy....but a few years ago my dear wife wanted a dog.

Neil
You might want to consider a cooler with an adult libation in the back.seat with the dog to fortify yourself before tackling DW's pile of stuff, :-)
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
What am I forgetting?
Vernon, what about an outdoor movie projector to throw a film up on the side of the 'stream? Where does something like that go?

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, yep, yep---the common denominator here is to take less stuff.

Take only what you need, in it's smallest serviceable form, and be always on the lookout for items which can serve dual purposes.

Life is too short, time out In your unit too precious to waste any time packing and unpacking unnecessary items.

Maggie
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
You might want to consider a cooler with an adult libation in the back.seat with the dog to fortify yourself before tackling DW's pile of stuff, :-)
.....something to consider.....

Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Vernon, what about an outdoor movie projector to throw a film up on the side of the 'stream? Where does something like that go?

-Chris
I hear that the side of a 'Big White Box, aka SOB, make for great movie screens.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I hear that the side of a 'Big White Box, aka SOB, make for great movie screens.

Neil
So do the sides of Airstreams.

Jack Canavera has been showing movies on the side of an Airstream at the Moraine View rally for the past 9 years, I believe. This year will be the 10th.

Maggie
Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We tow with a GMC Suburban and I'm always thinking about how to get by with less stuff. The Suburban will hold lots of stuff if that's what you want. However, getting to it easily is a challenge - using totes is helpful but still not great. I too have thought about a shelf/second floor but that in itself does not solve our entire problem. I can't get to the stuff!

If and when we buy a truck we may consider a tool body so we can access things from the outside. The outside compartments combined with a locking topper sounds like the ticket and I don't mind looking like Mr. fix-it.

Another possible solution for trucks and large SUVs is a slide-out system. There are many brands out there... the weight capacity of the slide-out, ease of use and other factors need to be considered. They're costly - some start at $500 but many are well over $1000 when you add dividers, compartments, etc.

Here are some we've considered:

Cargo Slide

Bedslide

Extendo Bed

TruckVault

Tuffy

In the end, we purchased a used Extendo-Bed via eBay. Our Extendo Bed will look much like the one shown Here. We'll be picking it up soon and installing it by the end of the month. It will require some modification to fit in our Suburban but the price was right - $100!

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
kbOzke:

Here is a link http://www.roll-a-bed.com/pro.htm to a truck slide out that my friend has. Also the additional weigth in the truck won't sigificantly affect the mpg but will improve the ride.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thanks for all of the great ideas. A couple of them were just what I was thinking about, so I'll investigate further. Another possibility, although not removable, would be to build a custom box on a flatbed pickup.

My concern was more about stuff blowing around while we are away from the campsite than theft. Yes, it could all go back into the truck when not in use, but that would be added weight that we're hauling around while sight-seeing. Partially offsetting that, though, is the added weight of the removable box that we would be hauling when moving from one campground to another.

Much to think about.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote