Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Durham , North Carolina
Smile What size Airstream should we get.

Hello Airstreamers!

My wife Amber and I are trying to buy an Airstream on craigslist and thought I'd come here to ask the simplest question of all.

What size Airstream should we get? We are a family of three. Amber and I, and our 4 month old. We are planning on full timing and we've never done with before. I'm going to be working on the road everyday, so we were thinking we need a big trailer so Amber has her space and I have mine to focus on work...but a 31' seems massive! Would a 23' work, or would a 27' be the perfect size?

Please give me your best argument why you think a certain size would be better. Thanks!
pageandamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
It all depends on your lifestyle and need for "things". Minimalists can get by in smaller spaces. Storage needs will probably dictate trailer size.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Here is a young couple with two children that travel extensively.

Adventures of Dave and Ann: Where Are We Now?

They have a 2006 25ss (six sleeper), with a front L lounge, separate dinette and a rear corner bed and bathroom.

The 27fb and 25fb late models share the same rear dinette living arrangement.

The later model 28 have the front couch, separate dinette and rear queen or twin sleeping area (Flying Clouds only have twin beds and cabinets over the dinette).

I would think a twin bed arrangement would work better for you. The child and mother sleep on the twin beds, the aisle between the beds offers more space to dress and the area can be used as a living area for the child while you work on the dinette.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I would recommend a 25, 27 or 28. The 27 & 28 are basically the same size but the 27 has the bedroom in the front and the 28 has it in the rear. The 25 has a little less on-board storage and the bed alignment may not be to your liking.

I would not recommend full-timing in anything smaller than a 25. Plenty of people do it, but it is tight and some of the smaller units have bed configurations that are a challenge for two people over a long period of time.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
First step....go see the new ones at a dealer in person. The styles haven't change too much in the last few years, and it will give you a feel for the space even if you wind up with one that is different from the new styles.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Read Watson's Wander. They have a 25' AS and he works in his trailer full-time. We have a 28' with 2 tables and no dinette. It works for us but we only play on our computers. Tim and Amanda are contemplating bigger so he has a comfortable work space and she is a wonderful cook.

Just got to weigh it but I think they are thinking maybe a 34'. Many guys on this forum love them. My advice is check them out. We never pulled a trailer and have an extended bed pickup so far with no issues.

Good luck!
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We have a 27, but honestly, all you'll get is opinions, only you can truly decide what's enough for you and your family at the end of the day. Everyone's needs, tastes and preferences are different. Listen to people's reasons for their particular model and use as a gauge in your decisions.

We are full-timing with two children.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
what era or price range are you looking at ?

the newer trailers have better use of space than the older trailers.

If you are going older (1970s) a 31' would be great or maybe a 29' ,if you can go newer 2000s) a 27 would be fine maybe even a 25.

Otherwise its going to get small fast if you are living in it.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The key for anything is storage and how your family deals with periods of time when you are confined inside due to weather. If you are full timing consider your travel locale and the amount of clothing you will need, especially coats which tend to eat up closet space.

Interior layouts differ and depending upon the vintage, the same size trailer can present different storage options. A good example is my 30' Airstream is the exact same length of a 31' model. Big difference was a larger bathroom in mine. On the downside that larger bathroom took half of the closet that is present in the 31'. So we gave up closet space for bathroom space. If I were a full timer I would have chosen the 31' model instead due to the double closet.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageandamber View Post

...snip....

Please give me your best argument why you think a certain size would be better. Thanks!

If I were spending your $, I would go to an AS dealer and walk through/sit in as many as possible to get a good idea of what might work. After seeing many, we stepped in to the 27FB and knew it was for us (wife, hub, 70# bloodhound). We don't full time but for our use right now, it's the perfect size for us. Everyone's mileage varies - sometimes considerably. You are the only family who will know what works for you. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
Having lived a short while in a much smaller rig, where we had to convert dining areas into beds and back twice a day, it was important for each of us to have a dedicated sleeping space. I wish Airstream made smaller models with bunks, but for our family, the Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk is perfect for our family with 2 girls!
The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
34'.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
10Smiles, the 34' is our first choice should we decide to go with an Airstream. To answer the OP's question, though, the advice to go visit a dealer is good. Spend some time in each coach and "do" the various activities of daily life in it. "Take" a shower; "wash" the dishes; "use" the toilet; "watch" TV. Give thought to where major items will go. Since you are going to be using the coach not only as your home but also your office you will need to figure out how you can do that. Your daughter will need her space, too. You might not think that she needs much, but consider a stroller, diaper space, playpen, toys etc. As she grows that stuff will only increase in volume.

I'd suggest that you start with the smallest coach that seems reasonable to you. Since you mentioned 23' I'd suggest you start there. Do the above in that coach, then move to the next larger one, and so on. At some point you will reach a coach that seems doable. Probably the next larger size will be right.

As full-timers, you need to be prepared to spend several days cooped up in your coach. Size is your friend on those days. You also will need to have everything with you, from cold weather/snow clothes to swimsuits and suntan lotion. Consider carefully where all of that stuff will go.

This isn't one of those questions that can be answered easily by others. Only you can decide what will and won't work for you.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
You are about 70 miles from Out of Doors Mart in Colfax, NC. They are an authorized Airstream Dealer. Spend some time sitting, walking, lying and looking at storage space, in all different sizes, then make your decision.
We purchased our one-owner AS from this dealer and were pleased with the experience.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
25'
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleNC View Post
Having lived a short while in a much smaller rig, where we had to convert dining areas into beds and back twice a day, it was important for each of us to have a dedicated sleeping space. I wish Airstream made smaller models with bunks, but for our family, the Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk is perfect for our family with 2 girls!
I think there's now a 25 or 27 BUNK model for 2015.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . as others have said, try/walk thru/laydown in as many as you can. . . If it were me, I'd consider the biggest one I could afford AND was comfortable towing. And I wouldn't buy new ! If you haven't done this before, you're 1st one may not be your final one (like us). I thought my Safari 25 was just right, but when she was seduced by a dinette & a shower you can actually get into, we now have a FC 28. Good luck, Craig
Old 04-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If your budget allows it and you're shopping new the sky's the limit, as you will find out. If shopping used I think you'll find the best deals in the longer trailers. When we were looking we found the 25's brought a premium and there were fewer offered in the used market. I guessed that many are grabbed by dealers as trades. I found the best deals in the 30's and 34's. We settled on a 30'er and later upgraded to a newer 30'er and find ourselves comfortable with it. We do a lot of travel with it and find towing and parking to be no problem ( mostly that is).
Hey, when it comes to Airstreams " Bigger is Better", RIGHT.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Go 1 size bigger then what you think you will need.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #20
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I'm surprised no one asked:
What do you have to pull it with?
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote