Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Here is good advice, Get what you and your wife want for the long haul and many years to come. Get your daughter a real nice TENT as we found out after having 3 girls they want their own space 85% and as they get older they will want to bring a friend or TWO, the best investment we made was a nice tent she pick out like having her own apartment and all will be happy.

dames7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I bought a used 1975 31' AS 14 or so years ago, I am solo so really don't need all the room, but the price was right.
I think if you are travelling with a child you would want room to accommodate play on rainy days.
Plus a longer trailer is easier to back up.
I have pulled my AS with my 1999 GMC 1500 pickup over 7000 miles last summer with no problem.
Good luck happy Airstreaming .

Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Topanga , California
If I were to have a child and wanted to work on the road, I would REALLY want the 30 foot bunk house. I would convert the bunk area into a mini office/sleeping area. That way your sofa and dinette could remain intact/useable at all times.
Nanette L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #32
planning for full time...
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Originally Posted by Nanette L View Post
If I were to have a child and wanted to work on the road, I would REALLY want the 30 foot bunk house. I would convert the bunk area into a mini office/sleeping area. That way your sofa and dinette could remain intact/useable at all times.
This is exactly what we are doing. Just traded a 25' for 30' bunk. The queen bed has already been sold and the frame is removed. Going to convert the "hatch" area to a couch.

This simple modification has opened up a ton of space.

No 5th wheel needed (or wanted).
living.somewhere.yonder | Early stages of Instagram
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have both a 25 and a 32. The layout is about the same. The advantages of the longer trailer is that it has a lot more closet space and a lot bigger shower and room for a couple of more chairs so that you can have a place for visitors to sit. I assume if you are working you are going to need more clothes than my 2 pair of jeans and half a dozen t shirts I travel in. We stay in the 25' for 3 or so months at the time when traveling and it works but it is a lot tighter. And the truck gets to carry all the winter clothing, hiking shoes, and stuff like that so it is full.
There is almost no difference in pulling the two if you are doing paved roads and commercial campgrounds. The 25 really shines on forest service campgrounds and some state parks. The 32 pulls the same, gets the same fuel milage, has about the same tongue weight, and is easier to back. The 32 has a lot of rear overhang and ground clearance can be a problem but not in most situations.

I could not afford it, but I really liked the 30' classic we looked at about 5 years ago.

And you can get a lot more space much cheaper in some OB trailers. They might not pull as well but they might be roomier when set up. I am not personally big on slides because of the added weight and the leaks, but they do add a bit of walking around space if you need it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
As I feel it's my duty, I must suggest a class A since you want to full time. I recommend any flat front diesel models. You'll get better gas mileage and no travel trailer can beat the amout of storage. I love the look of the classics but you lose the storage space to gain aerodynamics. I don't know what you were planning on using as your TV but most 4x4's can be towed 4 down by putting the transfer case in neutral. I spent a year full timing in my 36' XC diesel and there was more than enough room for anything and everything. I'm personally looking at upgrading to a 39' diesel and spending another year on the road in that.

I also have to second that for full timing 5th wheels truly can't be beat for roominess. Most 40'ers have way more space than everything under a 45' class A bus conversion. However, IMO a 5th wheel is a great full timer if you're staying put. If you want to travel then it's class A all the way.

Happy Trails and welcome to the AS family!
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I guess my question would be, do you want the smallest one you could live in full time, or do you want the most comfortable one you could live in full time? Obviously, you could live in a shoebox, but aside from that, I would say 25' would be the minimum sized Airstream I would want to live in full time. The reason I would consider that size, even if I could afford a longer one, would be that I like to visit national and state parks where 25' might be the biggest one I could fit into the available spots. They might have spots for trailers longer than 25', but you would be lucky to find one available, and you'd better be pretty good at parking a trailer even to fit a 25' trailer in a lot of 25' spots. If I didn't care about that, and knew I would be spending my time in places where a 30' trailer would fit, then that's what I would get.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master
1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We all have our opinions but I disagree that you need a 25'. We are 2 old geezers (60s) and have never pulled a trailer or parked one til 2 years ago. We have been to 25 natl parks and monuments with no problem finding a site. Ours is a 28' with a long bed pickup making us 50'.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
I would at least get a 27'. That is what we have and I think we could full time it. But its just two of us now. The thing I would change if I had known what I know now it the bed location. I would definitely get a rear bed.This is for several reasons. The biggest being that you can have a regular mattress. Good luck. I know you are going to love your Airstream when you find it. I would have an RV person look it over when. Make sure they check the floors for water damage.
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"However, IMO a 5th wheel is a great full timer if you're staying put. If you want to travel then it's class A all the way." This is the conventional wisdom, and it makes a lot of sense. We were told that the 30-day time frame is generally the guide point. If you usually stay more than 30 days at a time a towable is the better choice. If you generally stay less than 30 days at a time then a MH is the better choice.

At the time we bought our Foretravel, two years ago, we thought that we would be moving 2-3 times in a month, with occasional longer or shorter stays. That has turned out to not be the case. We're finding ourselves staying longer in one place, so we're thinking that maybe a towable ought to be our next coach, which is why I'm back on this forum.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #39
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Oh no one told you yet? It's impossible to travel with a small children in an Airstream and work fulltime on the road. You'll go crazy, and get divorced.

"Wisdom I've received on this forum."

<<large doses of sarcasm>>
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
We originally had an '89 Excella 25 with rear twins. We have stayed in that trailer for 3 months in TX and we decided a 25 or 27 wide body would be better suited to our needs...couple of retired types. After selling the '89 we finally found a '96 Excella...unfortunately with a rear double but we're making do. The key was the wider body. In all respects the trailers are the same except for the extra 6" width.

I really like the newer 27 FB, but it was beyond our budget. An AS is primarily a two person trailer but kids are easily accomodated. My comment about the 23 is that it is cramped and the bed is not actually a full size. More like 48" than 54". Your choice of TV will also determine what size you can pull. I agree that the 30 seems massive, but it really doesn't take much more skill to pull than the 25.

JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote