Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Two Rivers , Alaska
I wonder what people did before the digital age?

Last might my sister was laughing at me as she imagined me putting on a separate tow hitch and trailer behind the airstream for my kitchen aid mixer!

Carmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Originally Posted by Carmilla
I wonder what people did before the digital age?
Took up a lot of space mostly. I cant help but be amazed at the giant pile of stuff that my tiny iPhone replaces. A stationery set, a giant wired telephone, a typewriter, a few hundred vinyl albums with record player, a scientific calculator, a level, a deck of cards, an alarm clock, an appointment book, a whole library worth of books, a camera, a stack of photo albums, a truck load of maps, a stack of video tapes, a VCR, and a small television. That just barely scratches the surface of what it's really capable of, including replacing gadgets that we didn't even know we needed until the digital age came along.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Miss some things, but mostly not

My two cents worth on some of these issues. We're in our fourth year full-timing and we love it every bit. We don't miss our dishwasher, we miss our clothes washer a little, I miss books and tools, and space for friends. We don't miss maintenance, insurance, taxes, junk mail, and repairs on the house and cars.

I miss a lot of my books. No, I can't download those I collected in the sixties and seventies. Some few of them maybe are out there but more aren't. They were good friends, especially in winter time sitting by the fire with an oil lamp, turning the pages slowly. I don't get any of the charm reading books on our iPad. Yes, it can comprise hundreds of books. But it is cold and without charm. Give me a real book anytime.

We do really well with our means of privacy. Whenever Debbie wants more space, she sends me outside. Doesn't happen often, in fact hardly ever. But the strategy is available. We're chasing 75 degrees and both love out-of-doors so going outside isn't much of a hardship.

I miss some of my tools sometimes, and suffer occasional seller's remorse. Yet we decided we couldn't keep it all and some of the tools were really bulky.

I don't miss the attics full of junk, (and some really neat stuff, too) one over the house and one over the garage. Both full, and most of it went to charity. Sold a little of it. Saved a little and saved some books and a few items of clothing and put them in a 250 cubic feet storage locker (5' wide X 7' long X 7' high).

Most I miss the space to dance or entertain in our house. Yeah, we can invite six in for drinks, but then they try to sit down and two have to face one way and four face the other way. Just doesn't play well. One percent of the time, we could use a little more space. Maybe not, eh? We'll just play in your house sometime.

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote