Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
What do you do for an address?

Well my wife and me are just about ready to begin what I hope is at least a year on the road with our 34' Limited. Our start depends on when we sell our condo, as we can't afford to keep the condo and go on the road for any length of time.

My question is in the post 9/11 era what do you full timers do for an address for mail, drivers license. Can someone who doesn't own property use an address from a place such as Mail boxes or UPS brown store to establish residence??

I look forward to your input on this subject.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get one from Good Sam, I think you then have a Texas address.
Florida wants a real street address for driver's license, no p.o. boxes allowed. However, you can get creative, and find a place that rents p.o. boxes that aren't p.o. boxes.
Instead of "p.o. box 12345", the address would read 264512345 Main st.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Thumbs down Mail

Escapees address is not a P O Box and I have been using it for three years.
Drivers Lic., Registration in TX.
Lic. plates for 06 Safari is $50.00 and Disabled Vet reg for truck is $3.00, Regular Reg for truck is $78.00.
Mail forwarding can be arranged by e-mail / 800 # too any address or general delivery.
Check it out at Escapees RV Club – the club for all RVers

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We own a Mail Depot business

In addition to Answer Center, our telephone answering service, we own "Mail Depot Inc of Virginia". I understand Escapees and several other businesses have been used as "permanent addresses" for many individuals over the years.

In point of fact there is a Postal Form 1583 that you are supposed to fill out when renting a private mail box - and in most states it is NOT a legal residential address. Most of our patrons use the boxes for business purposes so that their customers don't show up at the home address. Businesses which DO keep accurate records are required to see two forms of picture ID and verify that at least one of them is a valid existing street address (post 911). Some businesses ignore those regs - and if they are caught the postal service will freeze all of their mail. We are on a first name basis with several FBI special agents and we actively report suspicious customers.

Practically speaking you can use a relative's address for your drivers license/voter registration - with their permission of course. Then you can change your "mailing address" from your condo to a mail receiving agency such as ours. Be sure to get any pensions, social security or other financial income put on direct deposit so you don't have to wait for the agency to forward them to you.

Check with your local postmaster for all of the gory details - and be aware that in Virginia at least - it is illegal to get a drivers license, start a corporation or sole proprietorship, or even register to vote with a private mailbox's address - and yes our local constabulary does occasionally wander in and check on us. Only exception? If you own all or part of the stock of the mail receiving company's stock. (moi)

Paula Ford