Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
_

. , .
what are your favorite wintering locations?

greetings all

i realize summer just began and in much of the country we're cookin' right now in 90+temps.....BUT it's never too early to think about and plan that next winter retreat.

one of my steps in progressing towards full timing is to spend the 2005/6 winter some place much easier (weather wise) than the midwest.

i'd like to camp long term (6-8 weeks) in about 3 regions where i won't need my down parka and snow shovel from mid november to april. i figure RIGHT NOW is the best time to start searching for those 3 spots.

so please take a break from this early summer day and tell me about your favorite place to migrate when the temps drop......where fair weather with easy livin' is your goal.

what's your favorite geographic region and why?
what's your favorite snow bird state? how about internationally?
where within that state?
any particular campground or long term parking spot?
any place you've been to and absolutely will return to?
any place you want to go because you've heard great things?

also, if you could take a minute, describe why you like a given place. what special features or charm do you recall.

i can't wait to read about and try some of these winter destinations.....

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Not there yet, but...

We're not ready for full-timing, or even half-timing, but here are a couple suggestions from one who travels waaayy too much on business...

1. Mission Bay in San Diego - Several campgrounds and mobile home park on the water, in great climate ( some rain, but no cold or snow..) and lots of things to do.. If you want more warmth, head inland a few miles near Escondido or Rancho Bernardo where golf and sunshine are better...

2. Florida? Depending on preferences, lots of warm weather and fishing and boating down near Key West, with several campgrounds (including one entire KOA island..) in warm shallow water.. Also several interesting campgrounds on west side near Sarasota and St. Petersburg, which has some of best beaches and weather in FL...

3. Palm Springs area in Calif - Dozens of campgrounds catering to snowbirds, with golf, pools, and lots of activities spread across 25 or 30 mile stretch.. Prior manager took his 28' Airstream to same campground every winter for 10 years after he retired in early 1980's, and was looking forward to going back by July.. (Though summer temps after April rise to 110 degrees and up, so summers are pretty deserted.. )

Good luck, and keep us posted on decisions..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
2air,

This fellow posted some pictures of where he stayed during the winter. Mostly Southern California and Mexico. The places he posted looked beautiful, especially the beach shots in Mexico. I've got no personal knowledge of them but I saved a link to his site just to look at his pic's.

Good luck,

Dennis

P.S.

My dog, Chester, has been trying to return your calls but got no answer.

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
We wintered last year at Canyon Vistas RV Resort in Gold Canyon, AZ. Enjoyed it so much ... we will be returning this year.

Gold Canyon is at the extreme southeastern outer edge of Phoenix ... next to Apache Junction and the Superstition Mountains. We like it because it is remote enough to be peaceful ... yet close enough to drive in to 'civilization.'

Folks here tend to be in their 50s and 60s ... so it is considered a 'young park' ... very active place ... excercise room, pool, billiard room, computer lab, Wi-Fi, hiking club, golf, baseball team, wood shop, RC car race track, etc.

Quite a few folks from the Midwest and Canada. We had the only Airstream ... so come on down ... your 34 can keep our 34 company!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:46 PM   #5
_

. , .
hi john mcg, chester (i mean dennis) and porky

agree mission bay is a fine locale but how affordable/what parks accept our tin tubes? same with the palm springs area....not in-expensive most parks seem geared toward the big bus/deluxe class a's....what campground did your co worker go with the airsteam? i'd consider a 4-6 week layover in florida but not so far south as the keys....really i'm not that fond of florida but i'd like to try a few weeks each of the next 2 winters just to say i have....

dennis
i did look over the travel log of the chap in mexico and the swest.....having a small class c rv has it's advantages.....he's certainly had an interesting trip.....captured by "mr mavica" and his other traveling 'friends'.

porky
i am interested in the canyon vista resort.....although i'm a little younger than their minimum age 55 requirement....my hair is gray, will that count? could you be my foster parents? it'd be great to have another 34 nearby....can you say "spare parts"?

another traveler suggested palm creek golf and rv club have you heard of this spot? their web site is nice.

what were the fees like at canyon vista?

btw i used to live in seattle and purchased my first airstream at the old dealer not far from your summer home campsite.....how are things at the wb park anyway? 25 years ago they won't allow airstream motorhomes to use the wb park.....my how times change.

i'm planning to come out to oregon and washington in august/september this year.....when will you be pulling up stakes?

any other winter suggestions out there in airstream land?

cheers
2air
Old 07-06-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
porky
i am interested in the canyon vista resort.....although i'm a little younger than their minimum age 55 requirement....my hair is gray, will that count? could you be my foster parents? it'd be great to have another 34 nearby....can you say "spare parts"?
I don't remember geting 'carded' when we checked in ... but they did ask for our birthdates when we made the reservation.

Quote:
another traveler suggested palm creek golf and rv club have you heard of this spot? their web site is nice.

what were the fees like at canyon vista?
Palm Creek is down in Casa Grande ... nice resort ... but we're not too crazy about Casa Grande. Also, they are being sued by some of the folks who purchased lots.

We paid a bit over $400 per month at Canyon Vistas ... we got a break for 5 months.

Quote:
i'm planning to come out to oregon and washington in august/september this year.....when will you be pulling up stakes?
Already pulled ... we're in British Columbia at the moment. Sorry we will mis you.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 07-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Post Abita Springs, LA

Have fun researching 2air. Abita Springs is lovely and just the right distance to/from the Big Easy, stayed there before Jazz fest, French Quarter fest, etc. my folks often winter there, just a drive over the causeway to Nawlins. They have a great microbrew in Abita, food is ok (compared to what you can get in Nawlins) beer is great. Best tasting water...
http://www.whresorts.com/aor/resort_...tasprings.html

Have fun looking for cool places to winter!
Steph
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Greetings...

Things seem to be well at the Land Yacht Harbor at Lacey; we spent the 4th of July weekend there.

Our schedule (we're still "working Streamers") has not allowed us to be at a rally there where I'm sure it's crowded...on off-times last last weekend, there were just a few of us, with lots of open space.

A lot of new houses down the hill from the LYH, but the club has a large buffer strip with mature trees and shrubs. We think its a great place to stay. More info on the site is at http://www.waunitwb.com/

The "Tall Ships" from around the world were in the Tacoma harbor last weekend...that was an awesome site.

It's too bad Porky's not going to be at the Oregon Country Fair this weekend - that's another northwest specialty !

Jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OreExcella
It's too bad Porky's not going to be at the Oregon Country Fair this weekend - that's another northwest specialty ...
We attended ... last year ... once is enough!

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 05-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #10

1971 27' Overlander
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Steamboat Springs - It's all about the Champagne Powder! Many fellow Airstream owners spending the winter here...
SteamboatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
2air,

If you're Florida bound, you will find some of the best winter weather in SW FL, specifically the Naples to Ft. Meyers stretch (that's what got me here!). Great beaches, awesome golf (some RV 'resorts' even have their own courses) and not super congested (YET!). Shopping....you are close to anything you want or need.

There are probably 50 + RV parks that will have spaces, especially long term. You can go from right on the beach (Red Coconut in Ft. Meyers Beach) to out in the boonies (Paradise Park, an old Airstream park 20 miles from anywhere). Of course, the closer to the beach and the nicer the park, the more it costs. Some of them get $1500 a month for a 3 month stay in 'season', that being Jan, Feb and March, after which the mass exodus starts.

Pricing usually depends on amenities, location and the size of the pads. Some parks really pack them in and others offer up to 50 X 100 ft. fully paved lots with tons of lush tropical landscaping.

If you're interested in this area, let me know and I'll gst a few names and locations for you.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Not to be a wet blanket, but this is a 2005 thread

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
True, it's an old thread, but I suspect there will be new readers who are thinking ahead to snowbirding next winter--'07-'08. I, for one, read each post with interest and dreams of heading out for several months to escape our midwest cold. Just a'wishin'.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
we spent last winter in Mexico at Kino Bay.Travel there was easy and safe for us. we also went to Abita Springs in April ,it was very nice . Next winter we're going to southern Tx in the " Valley".
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
_

. , .
hi sun dogs....

yep this thread still matters.

many of us are regularly "chasing 65-70 degree temps"

all the recommendations are still current,

well except that pre-katrina site near nola...

wonder if that park is back in action yet, tin sista ?

steamboat? well that's a stretch for winter unless u r all about skiing.

keno bay? i like that one and some of us are planning to check out the area this year.

wanna tell us/me more about your time in keno bay?

i love details!

yep lewster i'd love to read more about some florida spots,

and especially with your experience in the sunshine state...

so pm be with some specifics when there is time.

thanks for the updates folks,

but it's 68 degrees outside right now...

gotta go!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
I just joined so this 'old' thread is 'new' to me! I love reading these vignettes of people's lives on the open road. It sounds very alluring. We still have a kid at home in the tenth grade, so are a few years from doing anything full-time but it sounds great. I still love my house though and think I would miss having it.. I think...

Keep these stories coming, folks.
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We stay at Travelers Rest just north of Tampa. Previously an all airstream park, now open to all brands. It is a large, active park located amid orange groves and horse farms. includes a 9 hole USGA rated golf course. Their web page will give you much more information. Travelers Rest Resort - Dade City, Florida If you can't find many things to interest you, you must be dead.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
The past two winters we spent all or part of Jan-Feb at Dateland Az in a little private RV park{Oasis RV} . Just a few sites , maybe 25-30-very reasonable $ by the month. It's out in the Aztec hills just off I-8 midway between Yuma and Gila Bend. Many of the same people come there year after year but not clickesh. Pool and cabana for your use but no entertainment or activities except an ocasional pot luck or thursday night campfire. Animal friendly-hiking and ATV out your back door. This year we'll be at Araby Acres, an RV resort in Yuma. Wanted to try something different this year. On the edge of town, rated very good. Hope to make a few trips out of there this winter over to southern Ca. This will be our first experience with a "Resort" type park. Have a site rented Dec thru March
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
ingrid has been coming here for 25 years. i think she likes it ;-)
mostly regulars during peak season, openings gets to be very limited and i don't think you can beat the rates for what you get. no wi-fi yet (4 phone lines available at the office), no cable tv or phone lines at the spot, only water, sewer, and electric 30a & 50a available. i guess it's like luxury, boondocking, lol.

Park and Recreation
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #20
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That's around the corner from Everglades RV, which I think is a little nicer!

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote