Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
What a year it has been!

Exactly one year ago I left Out-of-doors Mart in NC with my brand spanking new Classic 31. I was really nervous. I had never towed anything this big and heavy. I had a big enough truck but I was worried about the power. When I purchased the truck I had not envisioned towing anything as heavy as my trailer. I had envisioned a boat. How things change. I new I was moving and I originally envisioned the trailer as temporary housing. Well it turned out to be much more than that. It freed me from having to take care of a house and well a sense of responsibility. It is freedom!
I have been seriously bitten be the travel bug. Can’t wait for next winter...

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Michelle,
It's been nice "getting to know you" on the forums. At least, that's the way it seems after seeing your posts on your travels, accident(s), etc.
Have a good season, I may see you out in base camp somewhere. (Since you'll be in the air and I'm a "ground-pounder")
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Michelle

I think many of us envy you the freedom you've found. What a great way to spend your off time, touring and meeting people and enjoying your baby. The truck mishap was unfortunate but out of that you got the right vehicle and you certainly put the miles on.

Have a safe summer, and looking forward to your travel records next year. For those of us who cannot do the trips you are able to it's a fun way to do so vicariously. It keeps the dream alive.

Take care,
Barry & Donna
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Happy Anniversary Michelle! Now I have been following your adventures and amazed at all you do and all the places you go, but I had forgotten that you were new to Airstreaming and RVing and towing, and now you are seasoned intrastate traveler. Mighty powerful quick on the uptake. Atta Girl!!! You keep on towing.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Michelle ~ It's been fun following you around the country this past winter. You have taken us to West Yellowstone on a trip that we could all do without as well as the Tin Can Rally and the all Ladies Rally. You have also taken us back to the mothership, twice! I for one envy the fact that you can travel all winter. Let's hope you do not have to work very much this summer.
Be safe and keep in touch.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Richard,
I have actually been back to the factory three times. The ladies at the front desk know my face. When I walk throug the door I get "Hi Michelle". Chris Burch knows my voice on the phone. Every time I call him. It's "what have you gotten yourself into now?". All the guys in tech support know who I am. I have talked to all of them at least twice. I have even had a personal audiennce with the "pope", Dave Schumann. They know me. I expect I am going to make at least one more stop there this year.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Be happy and safe Michelle!

Hey Michelle,
What a milestone, I remember reading your early posts...Isn't this Airstream forum community fun too? Did you ever think that by getting an Airstream and checking out an online community that you'd meet so many folks?
I've had the pleasure of meeting the nicest people at forum rallies, online here, and of course in person such as you, and of course the rivettes!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Thanks for the Inspiration!

Michelle,
As a brand new AS you have inspired me to say I can do that too. I can't tell you how much it has meant to me to read your posts. It gives me the courage to say I can do that too.

Have a safe summer!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Irish.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
I want an RV too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Exactly one year ago I left Out-of-doors Mart in NC with my brand spanking new Classic 31. I was really nervous. I had never towed anything this big and heavy. I had a big enough truck but I was worried about the power. When I purchased the truck I had not envisioned towing anything as heavy as my trailer. I had envisioned a boat. How things change. I new I was moving and I originally envisioned the trailer as temporary housing. Well it turned out to be much more than that. It freed me from having to take care of a house and well a sense of responsibility. It is freedom!
I have been seriously bitten be the travel bug. Can’t wait for next winter...
Hi Michelle,

I am new to the forum, and I'm dreaming of doing what you do. I'm currently living in Los Angeles and I'm fed up with it. I put notice on my apartment. Everyone keeps asking me, "Where are you going?" And I just keep laughing and saying, "I don't know!" The truth is, I don't want to commit to anyplace anymore. I want to put my things in storage and travel. I do all my work over the Internet so with a high-speed connection, I can live anywhere. I'm so tired of working and working and working and watching my life go by. I want to enjoy my life. So I've just started looking for an affordable Airstream. I went and looked at a new Bambi today. Very cute! Very expensive! I'm going to keep researching. I'd love to buy something decent and be on the road this summer.

Myra Winter
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Michelle

It looks like a certain furball has found a wonderful new person to manage. That is one kitty who will see the USA in style. Congratulations - it's nice to have a sidekick.

Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Myra,
It is an adventure.

Take your time and pick your trailer carefully.
It is important to have the right tools for the job.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Barry,
Yeah I had put my other two in foster care. They do not travel well. I missed having some fur around. She has spent her first week in the trailer. We took a shortt ride in the truck Saturday and She just went to sleep. Today I am going to show her the hangar.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Myra, please check out our classified ads here on the forum. Use the buttom on the menu at the top of the page. While brand new is wonderful, we all know how much your value drops when you pull it off the dealer lot. Perhaps a slightly used but newer trailer, currently owned and cared for by someone on the forum and with all the "new" quirks worked out already, is for sale and is perfectly what you want. Just an idea. Hope you are on the road soon, happy with your trailer, and ready to explore and enjoy. ~G {Okay, back to Michelle's thread--didn't mean to hijack, Michelle, especially on your anniversary }
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Barry,
Yeah I had put my other two in foster care. They do not travel well. I missed having some fur around. She has spent her first week in the trailer. We took a shortt ride in the truck Saturday and She just went to sleep. Today I am going to show her the hangar.
Michelle

She looks a lot like my recently passed kitty, Cricket. She was not a traveler. Almost 21 years of affection and much missed. We still have Smoky Bear who is very attached to my wife and I just get in the way but am considered good for treats when she's not home. Also not a traveler - he has one bad eye so movement freaks him out. The neighbors are great cat people and look after ours when we travel and vice versa. You are fortunate to have found one ready to go. It's funny how one cat will not mind at all, another will shred you from head to toe given the chance if shown a vehicle. We often see a couple at local rod runs with their cat sleeping stretched out all along the dash or in the back window on the package tray, soaking up the sunshine, whether they are moving or parked.

Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Congratulations on your milestone. Hope to meet you this year at the Can Opener Rally (sorry I didn't get to meet you at the one this past January). Make sure you plan on being in the Florida Panhandle in early January so you can be there!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I am planning on being at the can opener. Then heading west for a tour of the southwest.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:30 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I am planning on being at the can opener. Then heading west for a tour of the southwest.
Great, look forward to meeting you. I think my wife, Becki, may have met you at the pot luck. Either way we'll both look forward to seeing you in January.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote