Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think I'd get a base camp before I would choose an A-Liner. A-liners are a cool pop-up but they are just that. The price of Base Camps are coming way down and they would make a great expedition outpost, I think.

I still want one to make my soup/sandwich wagon, coffee bar/ continental breakfast, cocktail/appetizer rally-on business. Anybody got some capital they want to invest?
2007 Airstream BaseCamp with 3000lbs axle - Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Paula,

Here is a link to a good Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer website. These guys are as passionate about their rigs as much or more as Airstreamers. Check it out.

Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers :: Index

Safford RV used to carry the A-Liner brand, but discontinued due to poor quality that they had to stand behind and fix. Chalets are built better and there's a dealer in Chesapeake. A friend of mine has one. It still takes some time to set up camp with it, even though it pops up quickly. They're pretty expensive.

I've also been considering a simple "Bug Out" trailer to supplement my AS and the TD looks like the lightest possibility. Check out this TD made in Roanoke.

Silver Tears Campers

Good luck.

Bob

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Here's a nicely made, Canadian number that's developing something of a following:

The Escape Trailer
These look like descendants of the old "Trillium" trailers. Originally made from fibreglas septic tanks, IIRC.

There's a couple of the old Trillium ones here in my town, they simply don't rust, or corrode at all.

As for what to do about the second TT, to me at least, it all seems too much trouble to set up and keep and feed a whole other trailer, even if you full-time.

But maybe that's just me...
Old 10-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
Avion made a pickup camper that went up over the pickup cab roof, it looked like an Avion trailer notched out with a pickup under it. How cool would it be to leave it on your pickup and tow your Airstream with it. Brian
This could be a marketing move for Airstream. With all the pick ups in this country, a camper made like a streamer would sell much better than the base camp.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Our solution was to trade the tow vehicle for a class B; (the Chevy-based 19 & 21 ft. Roadtreks tow up to 8100 lbs.). It's great for weekend excursions, including overnighting on the kids' driveways).
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Our solution was to trade the tow vehicle for a class B; (the Chevy-based 19 & 21 ft. Roadtreks tow up to 8100 lbs.). It's great for weekend excursions, including overnighting on the kids' driveways).
I stand corrected on Roadtreks being maxed out. I discussed this with a local Roadtrek dealer about 2 months ago and his opinion was 3500lbs for a 190.

Regardless please keep us posted on how it handles extensive towing and or extreme applications such as mountain passes etc. This is a very interesting combination and the tow ratings are higher than the 3500 window vans with the 6.0. I see the 190 roadtrek has the highest numbers with the optional 6.0. I wonder if they are using a 4:10 rear end? Thanks for the update
Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
The Roadtrek 190 & 210's utilize the Chevy 3500 chassis, 6.0 engine, 4:10 rear end, and "tow-haul" mode. The towing capacity of the 190 is 8100 lbs., and 7500 lbs. for the 210, which we currently operate. The trailer weighs approximately 6000 lbs. It's safe and legal, and we have not had any problems yet with this arrangement (13,000 plus miles), however, compared to the former tow-vehicle (8.0/allison trans.), it is underpowered, and of course, disappointing in mountain passes.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey Foiled Again, how do you define fulltiming? We 've sold the houses, cars, & most posessions that don't fit in the MH. Loved being able to go anywhere without worrying about anything else. Loved the freedom without strings. We recently picked up a 25' Tradewind to remodel to our liking. Now we need a tow vehicle. Soon we'll need a place to keep them while we travel. Seems like we've taken a step backwards, curses-foiled again!

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28 View Post
This could be a marketing move for Airstream. With all the pick ups in this country, a camper made like a streamer would sell much better than the base camp.
I actually googled truck campers too, because of this thread. I was looking at the Bigfoot campers - thought they might be had on the cheap since it went bankrupt but wow they are $$ (28K for new). Really shocked at how big they look on the inside in the pictures! I went out to my truck and tried really hard to imagine it.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #38
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart View Post
I actually googled truck campers too, because of this thread. I was looking at the Bigfoot campers - thought they might be had on the cheap since it went bankrupt but wow they are $$ (28K for new). Really shocked at how big they look on the inside in the pictures! I went out to my truck and tried really hard to imagine it.
True, TC's are every bit as expensive/ft as AirStreams. They are also built very durable to withstand the off-road use many of them see.
They do have every amenity the AS has (actualy, our TC has more amenities than our AS...) some are surprisingly roomy inside (1-2-3 slides) but these will require a dually.
Our hard side (no slides) is plenty comfortable enough for 3+dog. Inside storage is fine. Creative use of racks outside makes for good storage; bikes, skis, kayaks...
Travelling with a TC is very easy (no parking worries, very easy to manuever...) my Wife drives the TC, she will not drive while towing the AS (she can, but doesn't like to) she will take the TC on "Girls Only" trips. Not so with the AS.
We can take the TC tail gating, to the beach, or skiing. It is not likely you would do this with a TT.
We have found the flexibility, manuverability, and convenience of the TC to be a great compliment to the room and luxury of the AS.
An RV for all seasons!

Bill

p.s. The Bigfoots are very nice. And you can still find them around, try CL...
Northernlite is another full fiberglass construction, very similar to BF.

Keep in mind, a lot of the "stuff" you use with the AS will also work with the TC...it's all campin'
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Hey Foiled Again, how do you define fulltiming? We 've sold the houses, cars, & most posessions that don't fit in the MH. Loved being able to go anywhere without worrying about anything else. Loved the freedom without strings. We recently picked up a 25' Tradewind to remodel to our liking. Now we need a tow vehicle. Soon we'll need a place to keep them while we travel. Seems like we've taken a step backwards, curses-foiled again!

Ricky
How I fulltime. Some folks think I'm not a fulltimer because I'm still working fulltime - I own a timeshare deed at a campground where max out and I stay about 32 weeks per year. If I'm on one of my required weeks away from the main campground, I will either travel or if work demands I move to one of about six other campgrounds in the area and stay there. I will go up to 50 miles away from work and face a long commute just for the joy of staying in a nice place like Chippokes Plantation, or the state park on the eastern shore ($12 for a one way commute though!)

I do try to get away for at least 3-5 days on a long weekend. Since I'm one of the two owners of the business, and I'm one of the two sales people, I actually can sell our company's services while traveling on the road.

So I'm not one of those people who put 25K on their trailers in a year. I am finding out that I can really enjoy exploring Virginia on a very intimate level. It's amazing how little we learn about places and people while whizzing by at 55mph or faster. It's cool to find a little town with a small city park or private RV park where you can settle in for a few days, go to the local shops and diners and chat up the locals. Every single small town has some interesting history or haunted house.

Paula
Old 10-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
The Roadtrek 190 & 210's utilize the Chevy 3500 chassis, 6.0 engine, 4:10 rear end, and "tow-haul" mode. The towing capacity of the 190 is 8100 lbs., and 7500 lbs. for the 210, which we currently operate. The trailer weighs approximately 6000 lbs. It's safe and legal, and we have not had any problems yet with this arrangement (13,000 plus miles), however, compared to the former tow-vehicle (8.0/allison trans.), it is underpowered, and of course, disappointing in mountain passes.
I am amazed it works that well. Combined weights are well within the needs of a big block gas or Diesel. I am surprised it works that well and a neat combination. Sportsmobile gives the ability to order a v10 or diesel. I really like the style of the Roadtrek however and they have a great reputation. Thanks for the info.