Old 02-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Water heater and furnace not working

Water heater light is on but doesn't want to fire up. I can here it clicking to start. I've started the gas stove to bleed the gas through but still doesn't fire up. Do I need to turn the pump on to draw water into tank?
And I'm wondering why the furnace only blows for a minute or so and only cold then shuts off. What am I missing and not doing right?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVESALLY View Post
Water heater light is on but doesn't want to fire up. I can here it clicking to start. I've started the gas stove to bleed the gas through but still doesn't fire up. Do I need to turn the pump on to draw water into tank?
And I'm wondering why the furnace only blows for a minute or so and only cold then shuts off. What am I missing and not doing right?
It sounds like you are either out of propane, or your propane is turned off. Have you checked the tanks? Is the flow switch at the tank pointed to a full tank with the tank knob turned on? Is the indicator bulb at the tank showing green? These are all things to check first.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I assune you have just switched gas cylinders? I have had that happen. Make sure the pigtail is really screwed into the cylinder tight. It has to open the safety valve. Let the whole system sit for an hour. Then try again, The gas pressure is very low, The stove is near the cylinder and will light on little gas. The furnace and WH need a full dose to ignite,
Old 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
And I'm wondering why the furnace only blows for a minute or so and only cold then shuts off.
This is because the thermocouples on the WH and furnace are not sensing a flame and so turnoff any gas flow. The clicking is the igniter trying to ignite, but no gas is getting to the igniter. The fact that neither WH or furnace are igniting means propane is not flowing from your tank. Try what the above posters have recommended.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
Agree with all the above but if you have a manometer, you could hook it up to a stove burner jet and check that your regulator is allowing 11" of Water Column pressure. If someone has been messing with the regulator or it is bad than neither your furnace nor water heater will ignite and stay lit.

Dave
Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Sounds like a bad regulator, I had a similar situation. My final test was to light all my stove burners and then tried to light the gas oven all at the same time. There wasnt enough gas flow. Replaced the regulator and all appliances worked at the same time.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Thanks all, looks like a bad regulator. I'll change it out this weekend. Love the forum.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfulltimer View Post
Agree with all the above but if you have a manometer, you could hook it up to a stove burner jet and check that your regulator is allowing 11" of Water Column pressure. If someone has been messing with the regulator or it is bad than neither your furnace nor water heater will ignite and stay lit.

Dave
DING DING DING!!! I think this is the winner! We had similar on our 1999... replaced it last year. Workie fine now!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Confused. Changed out regulator and the stove works great but furnace and hot water heater still not working. Furnace kicks on for 2 minutes, blows cold and water heater still clicking trying to light. Help. Wife needs hot shower
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Could still be air in the line. Keep trying WH and furnace several times to bleed air.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I had the same issue and followed the same course. It turned out to be a pinched exposed gas line under the Airstream. I think the pinch was caused by road debris. I worked on the line a bit with some pliers and nursed it back to its original diameter. The fix worked. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
I'll keep trying. Thanks all
Old 02-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Sarasota , Florida
Trying all day today after changing out regulator. Still no hot water or furnace kicking on. Keep bleeding gas through stove but to no avail.
Anyone got any other suggestions? I've been through all above suggestions.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Will the cook top burner flame light normally? If the stove will light you have proven that: (1) you have fuel, and (2) that the fuel is flowing through the regulator.

If the cooktop burner works, try wiggling (unplug and re-plug a few times) the wires to clean the contacts on the water heater. Then loosen the ground wire at the water heater, clean and re-tighten.

If you get the water heater going, the furnace may be a totally different problem.

edit:
I am an hour east of you, so I know about the lightning last week. Is it possible an electric surge might have affected the electronics in your trailer?