Old 09-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Abbeville , Louisiana
Wanting Info On Best Airstream To LIVE IN...

Wasn't sure where this should be placed in the forums...

I just joined the forums and did so specifically because I've been considering purchasing an Airstream to live in as a home. I'm a single 33 year old guy who is a confirmed bachelor and very happy. I have lots of friends who understand my quirks (so no need to "fix me up" with anyone!).

Thing is, I have paid rent for the last ten years for an apartment that is likely smaller than some of the 25' Airstreams I've seen online. I'm very comfortable living in a small space but tired of paying $500+ a month for that as it seems a huge waste in the long run.

So I need advice on choosing an Airstream TRAILOR that is perfectly suited as a home that can be parked and left in one spot.

I absolutely love the interiors of some of the nicer Safari's and hope they are actually inhabitable for long periods. In other words, I hope they stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter without costing me an arm and a leg in a place where it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter (Oklahoma). I currently live in Southern Louisiana but plan to move near Tulsa Oklahoma in a few weeks for a job opportunity.

Just please note, I know virtually nothing about Airstreams. I've seen them over the years, felt they all looked really neat, but until recently the thought never came to mind of "future home," until some friends mentioned it and said they can so easily see me living in one of these...

All responses and suggestions would greatly help.

maqboqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Uh, not to worry ... been a member of the forum for 2 years now & have never seen anyone try to "fix up" any 2 members .... just their Airstreams. So we ain't gwine jump in there with your first concern. All 33-year-olds should be single anyway, so what's your problem with that?

As for your second issue, well, a confirmed bachelor such as yourself, whatever your "quirks," should know that no amount of opinion takes the place of empirical evidence. So continue to scout 'em out, bro.

But rest assured ... that perfect fit imagined via your $500-a-month mind will find a cold singles bar in hell before it meets up with your standards, which are: Airstreams that are cold in the winter in a hot place & hot in the summer in a cold place? Yet inexpensive? Especially for someone who knows nothing about "trailors"?

My mortgage runs me probably $2000 a month despite perhaps 31k tied up in "trailors," none of which I would live in.

Stick with the cheap rentals. And stay single.

Of course I'm an elitist. Look around you.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
my sediments exactly

the kid has "hit the nail on the head" pretty much, unless of course you get a job working in canada in the summer, and arizona in the winter...
Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
A 25' to 28' would be good for a single person. Consider the International CCDs for contemprary styling and ease of cleaning. The new Special Edition Safaris are equally easy to clean, but have the more conventional (wood grained) decor. The Classics have more expensive decors, but weigh a little more. Go for a queen size bed. Make sure that you have an adequate tow vehicle to handle the trailer that you decide on. Best of luck.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine

We bought used. There is much danger out there for a used buyer, I know the hard way. Watch out for floor$ and frame$, spend time or get $omeone who knows. I like the 30' with Queen rear bed. Large enough to sleep well, small enough to move when you have to with what you can get to move it. Did not get married 'til 34, still a little young I think. This is a great Forum to learn about Airstreams and have some fun.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstreams originally were made for travel. That still remains their forte. If you are just looking for a cheap place to live and do not expect to move often, there are better solutions. Some of the newer 34 footers are more like small appartments and people use them for wintering in Texas or Florida. They then spend the summers up north. It is cheaper than keeping two houses. Some of the newer units have better insulation and some have double pane windows which make them more livable in widely varing climates. Older units are not so climate friendly. You could buy a cheap mobile home in Oklahoma, that is not movable, with alot more square foot and better suited to the climate and then sell it when you next time you decide to move for a lot less than you would expend for an Airstream and not be as comfortable. Mobile home rental parking is alot cheaper than apartments and you may pay more to rent a campsite than montly rent for parking a mobile.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #7

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I recently purchased a 24ft ('68 Trade Wind) and while I consider it to be of excellent size for traveling and passable for short term accomadation in one location (say maybe a few months); I dont think it would be at all acceptable for long-term parked housing. There simply isnt enough space for starters. When your traveling you expect to spend the majority of your time outside, this is not the case with normal living. The lack of room to move around in in bad weather and the lack of storage would get old all to fast. I think I would reconsider. Hope this helps

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
Cozy Livin'

I been livin in a 32' excella for a year now. For me its a dream. Yea most folks need/ want way too much space and cannot relate to such tight quarters. Their loss I say. Do learn as much as possible on this site. You will. I started in the dark myself. But I read the data here all the time. If you dont, you may hate your choice. If you use this site, it will be great. Go for it. Life is so much more flexible than we think...
Metiltube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Can be done

I would willingly live alone in my wide-body 28 Classic (actually 29' long). The wide body makes a world of difference in usable room, so look for a late 90s or newer trailer. The only thing I would miss is my workshop.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
spring , Texas
livin in a camper...

When I was single I lived in a 16 foot mobile scout (1985 to 1989) then moved up to a 1973 28 foot Coachman which I lived in until 1998. Can you say $45 then $70 (for 8 years)then $90 ( all in Georgia) and finally $200.00 a month when we moved to Tucson, AZ. I loved living in my campers, the ac kept me cool and the furnace kept me toasty. And although people who knew me laughed when they found out, they could'nt understand why I always had money and was able to take month long vacations, until I told them very matter of factly I don't spend $500 a month on rent! How I ended up living in a camper was the fact when I started school my choices were: camper or dorm....
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
2 years full timing in Excella 30ft...

...and still going strong. I don't need a bunch of room I guess. I spend alot of time outdoors in my free time (fishing, hiking, riding my bike, etc). You can save money, but there's ALOT to learn about the "kind" of RV parks that are available.

You're still going to pay rent. Not 500 a month, but at least half that, and probably closer to 300-350, depending on location. And phone, and propane, etc...

If you could find a company or business, that was looking for someone to stay on their property for security reasons (some Storage Unit businesses look for this, and offer a "free" hook-up. some Big TIMBER companies too), or part time "work-camp" (like I intend to do next year) you might be ok.
infinite LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We used to own The Original Long, Long trailer...

And lived in it, full-time. (the 1952 New Moon trailer from the movie) However, it had an addition on it that effectively doubled the living space, and it was still close quarters. Trailer dimensions were 8' x32', lot rent was $239/month.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi Magbogs,
It will depend on how much money you would like to spend. I am 34 years old and have owned several airstreams from a 1975 to the current one that I have now that is a 1991. I would recommend a 31ft trailer as they are very popular and plentiful and have a fair size living room area.For this size trailer they are pretty much the same as far as floorplans from the early seventies thru the late eighties with only cosmetic changes as they got newer.Also if you want a rear bedroom then you will have a small bathroom. If you choose the rear bath model then the bathroom will have two closets in the bathroom itself and will have more floor space/legroom.If you can get lucky and find what I think is the ultimate 31ft floor plan it would be the rear bath with a full bed or goucho in the middle. With this combo you will have the two closets in the bathroom and two closets across from the bed/goucho which is a good bit of closet space for a travel trailer.n Now if you like having friends over alot then you might want to consider a 34ft trailer which will have more living room space and will have a dinette that can be used for seating.The 31ft trailers have a sofa and table in front only.Also if you choose a rear bedroom model with twins they can be converted to a fullsize bed with ease.
I don`t think you will have any problems with the heating and cooling during the seasons.I will say that I do try use the grill outside during the summer so it won`t labor the A/C any more than necessary. During the winter when I camp I will usually use an electric space heater and if it won`t keep it warm the I will use the furnace and it will defenitely warm it up.
Also don`t know if the interior wood colors are if any consequence but the older trailers in the seventies have a darker look. The last 31ft I had was a 1981 and it had a lighter wood which was very nice and not drab looking. I had a local upholsterer redo the sofa and the valances over the windows and updated the carpet and really made it look nicer and that was done for less than $ 900.00 . But you may be able to do those things yourself.
I have owned an airstream since 1989 and they are the easiest towing travel trailer that I know of even though you won`t be towing yours. Well I hope this info. helps and happy hunting. Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
2002 34' Classic
Tecumseh , Ontario
Magbogs :

Get a late 90's 34 ft.

The cost of the campsite will be the same as a smaller unit, you won't have to kneel down to use the microwave & while seated at the dinette you'll be looking out the window under your own awning...NOT into your next door neighbour's window !!

Regards, Paul.
25 Safari #8800.

PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote