Old 09-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Abbeville , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I remember an episode of "Northern Exposure" where the cast members mused over the world's last communal ritual - going to the river and washing clothes together. O'Connor was abandoning it by getting her own washer and dryer. In the end, she sold them to the laundromat because she lost so much connection with her friends by cocooning with her machines.

The world is full of laundromats. If you want to live simply forget having a washer/dryer onboard. It's just one more thing that can break - and they are never big enough to do anything large. Buy two weeks worth of skivvies if you worry about running out of stuff.

I was in New Bern NC last week at a pretty decent KOA and enjoyed doing my laundry while chatting with a couple of nice guys from Texas. They were pulling a 25 ft Safari with a Jeep Cherokee - and had been doing so since 2000!

I turned them onto this forum.

Tin Lizzie
HA! I remember that episode too. You might be right. I could as easily do laundry at a laundromat. I don't mind doing laundry though and could see myself doing a load in the combo unit every other day or so, but you do have a point. The extra space could be put to use in other ways, though I do like the idea of having my Airstream as "complete" a home as I can.

Heh, speaking of my dirty linens, where's my mother when I need her?

Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Get a 30+ Airstream for full-timing. Go to the dealer websites and checkout the layouts and options that you want. Newer models offer flat screen TVs, indoor/outdoor speakers/solar panels, generator connections, etc. Also check their used inventory. Go visit the dealer and spend time in the Airstreams to see where you would put your stuff, where will your laptop go, etc. Then when you buy it, you will have more time to enjoy it.

I understand your cooking preferences. I have a convection over/microwave combo that works great. I used it for grilling steaks in Yellowstone, making popcorn and baking cookies. Works better than the conventional oven which just takes up space. Multipurpose tools is what you need in small spaces.

We just spent two weeks in our trailer and it was great. I wish I could fulltime! Good luck.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #59
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia
Get a 30+ Airstream for full-timing. Go to the dealer websites and checkout the layouts and options that you want. Newer models offer flat screen TVs, indoor/outdoor speakers/solar panels, generator connections, etc. Also check their used inventory. Go visit the dealer and spend time in the Airstreams to see where you would put your stuff, where will your laptop go, etc. Then when you buy it, you will have more time to enjoy it.
Sonia,
Good ideas...but you can retrofit all of them into a vintage unit...I am working on the flat screen...it comes right after the Fantastic Fans along with the fluroscent light(s) upgrade...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #60
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sonia,
Good ideas...but you can retrofit all of them into a vintage unit...I am working on the flat screen...it comes right after the Fantastic Fans along with the fluroscent light(s) upgrade...

Aaron
I have a flat panel in our 63, and halogen lighting, too. But Fantastic Fans use 12v, at this time all I have is 110.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Our previous trailer was a 17' Casita & we knew 2 different people that 'full-timed' in them, not the same trailer!. IMO almost any Airstream can be lived in, remember your dorm size per person?, but I'd look for at least a 25' or longer trailer. The 34 (used) might be the best overall & I'll bet more & more of them will be available soon.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #62
_

. , .
hi rivetED

not to hijack the tread, but i notice you're from hillsboro?

isn't that near one of the airstream parks? how are things there?

i'm planning to wander down from k.c. this month for a visit of a week or 3...

cheers
2air'
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Abbeville , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I have a flat panel in our 63, and halogen lighting, too. But Fantastic Fans use 12v, at this time all I have is 110.
Right now I'm working on a project for my flat panel LCD television. It's a 33" widescreen that is about three inches thick and I'm building a low-sitting entertainment center that has room in the front for a stereo, DVD player, etc and along the back of the top there is a slot.

I'm rigging up the elecronics and hardware now to mount my flat panel inside the thing so that when I want to watch television I can simply press a button on my remote control and the flat panel will rise up from the slot until it is fully visible. When through with it, pressing a button will cause the television to lower down into the slot until it disappears from sight. The top of the TV will have a wooden strip that will rest flush with the surface of the entertainment center when the TV is down so only a thin rectangular line will be all that's visible on the surface.

I figure it's a safe way to store my TV while also being conscious of space restrictions in the Airstream. This way when the TV is not in use I can utilize the top of the entertainment unit like a regular table (I do not watch TV very often and when I do, it's usually for weather updates or to view a DVD I rent).

I am very knowledgeable in Linux and have installed Gentoo Linux on a Mac Mini already that will serve as a small hardware control unit for such things as the up and down mechanism for the flat panel television. With a programmable remote control and some wiring and other gizmo's the Mini will serve as the hub of a lot of things for my Airstream.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:12 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
Thumbs up Living in an AS

I've emailed you some information and then went on to see all the great info you got from your new family. WOW! You should be able to make a good call on your furture lifestyle. By the way. We removed the front couch(never comfortable) and replaced it with two lazyboy recliners. Great move. Now we're both comfortable watching TV or doing the Forum thing like I am now. Took us awhile to find the right ones but we did. The have oak on the arms that match the rest of the woodwork in the Stream. We have an old fashioned icebox between the chairs to keep our "Office" stuff and set our happy hour on when the weather causes us to do it inside.

Keep thinking about it and if you need any further information or suggestions keep in mind,,,,,,,I'm full of it.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #65
Pre-tire today!

2005 25' Safari
all over , California will always be home.
Wanting Info On Best Airstream To LIVE IN...

Wow...this thread has gone sort of all over the place! Well here's my two-cents to the original question of living and what size...
Currently my husband, our 35 pound dog and I full-time in a 25' Safari. We find that this is plenty of room and enough space for what we truly need. Mind you this is coming from a girl with an extensive shoe, handbag and furniture collection (thanks to my mother for being so kind as to give up some closet and storage space).Neither of us are very big people and find the double bed works, the husband is 5'11", so he gets the space not enclosed by the wall and most nights the dog finds her way up and we all sleep just fine.
We are lucky enough to both have careers that allow us to spend long periods on the road. In the past four months we have traveled close to 10,000 miles and are going to bunker down in Southern California through the winter. By no means is it cheap to stay in California, but our monthly expenses are half of what they were when we were renting here. Unfortunately buying a house is out of the question right now, I refuse to pay $500,00 plus for something I'd need to tear down and rebuild.
Right now this is what works for us. So far I am happy with our choice. I had to get rid of a lot but having only what you need and use is a nice feeling in a world of excess.
I don't know if this helps, but my point is you don't need the largest Airstream made. Although if you aren't taking it anywhere go for it!

05 Toyota Tundra
05 25' Safari SS
"Don't Delay,Pretire Today!"™©
rollnthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
I enjoyed this one. My first impulse was to answer the question with a question. Pointing out that in life no, "one size fits all". I mean for me, the question about whether living in an AS is doable and what size would work was like being asked "how long is a piece of string".

The guy I rescued my honey from winked at me just prior to me driving off and he said " I hate to see her go... I had her hooked up in a park in McKenna and paid very little for rent aside from utilities.....it's a real cheap way to live dude ! ".

With a thumbs up, I was on my way, but not before wondering what that must be like, living in a park in McKenna. After all I live in a beautiful arts and crafts on property that is very popular with wildlife and my neighbors are only there when I need them (bless their hearts).

At 26 I lived in a studio apt. that when you sat on the toilet your feet were in the shower and in order to do the dishes it was necessary to scoot the cloths to one side of the closet so they did not get wet. I thought I was in heaven, my rent was cheap and I did not have high expectations. I wasn't married either, (humm maybe there is message in here for me....).

I just hope the original spark that lead to the question by this guy was not snuffed out. I mean I appreciate and smile at the directness and honesty of all the very bright and helpful members and I would not ever consider it but if done right, it might not be too regrettable for as long at that experience would last for an adventurist. I'll continue to look forward to short stays and a change of scenery.

Happy trails !

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:44 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
santa fe , New Mexico
Nice to hear somebody else chose a camper over a dorm room. that's exactly what I'm doing with my '75 sovereign!
Old 11-18-2005, 03:50 PM   #68
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
santa fe , New Mexico
More on living in an airstream... It's a fantastic place to live if you're single and quirky. I have been living in mine (31', or, as I calculated, 250sq. ft of organized living space) for almost 3 months and have never been uncomfortable, except for a recent 30-year-old water heater crisis. I'm currently staying warm during the 20 degree nights with just a simple $40 electric oil heater, and might turn the furnace on when December rolls around. The site rent is cheap for the area and since the airstream is in mint condition, I can sell it someday (but God I hope not) for more than what I bought it for. To all those who haven't tried it but say it can't be done, believe me, it can be! (Finding one that's mint and affordable, however, was a challenge.)
Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

MAQ BOQS

Update?

My 2 bits --

I am in an area of the county where 1 bedroom apartments cost $1200+ and lots run at least 700/month, with some as much as $1000 and many can offer only $50-60/day. It's not a frugal lifestyle. I pay less than for an apt. but pay more in gas with increased commute. So it comes out to be about the same. Maybe even worse given the 2 hours I spent in traffic every day.

Saving money is not the key reason to choose an AS. You have to choose it because you like it.
You _may_ save money, because when you are done with your unit, you will be able to sell it, and they retain their value better than "SOB" But along the way, you will needs tons of propane in the winter, increased electric, misc. parts.. think $500+ for AC, $1000 for fridge... univolt, etc.
And you will need a Tow Vehicle, unless you rent one. And the TV will initial investment + maint. It's not a cheap lifestyle.
And you will still need your daily driver, but if you move 1,000 miles for a job, it's going to be a real pain moving your AS unit + your TV + your daily driver.

I wouldn't even consider living in a ghetto, which is what these apartment complexes are, even nicer ones. Living in a box with residents above, below and to the left/right of you. An AS is a much nicer choice, and I would pay more for it, even with reduced space. You get a degree of autonomy in this world. _That's_ the reason.

Another key reason is you can move when you want to instead of being locked into a 1 year lease in a place you don't like.

I think it's well worth all the additional maintainance issues you will have to worry as the "landlord" of your silver unit.

Get the largest unit you can afford. The law of decreasing space will take effect: No matter how much space you have, the stuff you have will increase to occupy all available space and desire more.