Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
North Las Vegas , Nevada
Cool Want to start full timing!!

The husband and I have decided to start fulltiming early next year. We have never owned a camper before only tent camping. Crazy I know!! Trying to untie from all the materialistic stuff. We have a LOT of questions regarding size and towing. Any help would be appreciated We have a 2006 toyota tundra with a 7000 lb max towing weight but are interested in a 23FB Flying Cloud. Do we need a new tow vehicle? Is 23 ft too small for a young couple? No kids just two awesome dogs. He is military and we move and travel a LOT so we want something we can tow with ease. Thanks everyone!
bmarrero85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
I can't/won't comment on the TV (you'll get plenty of comments on that) but my advice is to just do it! You'll get all kinds of comments both for and against the full-timing, the size, the dogs....only you know what is good/best for you! We have 2 kids and 2 dogs in our 27', and it's plenty big enough for us!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Do a search on the topic. Both by Title and Post. Help out the rest of us, please.

The others of us happy to be of help have to ask about the same dozen questions to help narrow any worthwhile advice or experience. I recommend that when you run into something of interest (or think it may be) to just link it to a post in this thread.

Once a bit of clarity emerges, links from others reading this thread to more specific threads and posts will flow fast.

One can full-time in a Bambi pulled by a Mini Cooper. Or in a 34' slide behind a 4-door dually pickup. Yes, you can tow that combo. But a lot of questions will ensue. Again, do a search to help frame your specific questions. Where, how long, etc are all definatory. Both by trailer and tow vehicle proposed.

Welcome.

There are many, many ways to full-time. How you think of it is more important than any opinion here. So help us to help you.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
tow vehicle restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarrero85 View Post
The husband and I have decided to start fulltiming early next year. We have never owned a camper before only tent camping. Crazy I know!! Trying to untie from all the materialistic stuff. We have a LOT of questions regarding size and towing. Any help would be appreciated We have a 2006 toyota tundra with a 7000 lb max towing weight but are interested in a 23FB Flying Cloud. Do we need a new tow vehicle? Is 23 ft too small for a young couple? No kids just two awesome dogs. He is military and we move and travel a LOT so we want something we can tow with ease. Thanks everyone!
Find out where you will be staying, and figure your budget for camping, if ok then go for it, you can always go back.

I contacted the Toyota factory about an FJ Cruiser I had and found out that the tongue weight with an equilizer hitch shouldn't exceed 500 lbs, when I asked about the 100 lb assembly head that bolts onto the truck they said yeah now 400 lb tongue weight is the max . Check yours out and deduct the 100 lbs. Ideal tow weight is 80% of vehicle capability, ergo 5400 lbs loaded.

Happy travels
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums!

We are glad you found us.. sounds like you two are headed towards a big adventure. The 23 is a nice size.. Check a few more out before you purchase just to be sure. It would be great for you guys to attend a local rally and talk to other folks about theirs. Its a big purchase and you want to make the right choice.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would be cautious about buying the 23FB for full-time, as it has kitchen, dinette, bath, and bedroom. But the living room is essentially outside under the awning.

We tow our 25' with a 2006 Tundra and it is adequate, but not ideal. It's weak at high altitude climbing steeper grades, and I don't like a pickup daily driver. My preference would be a turbo diesel European-type SUV, better fuel usage, stronger at attitude, and shorter wheelbase for daily driver.

We spend six months a year in our Airstream.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
To add to Doug's reply, there are 23' models with more living space but you give up some bed width.

Go to a dealer and sit for a while in different trailers. Also do due dilligence and check out other brands of trailer.

While I like the smaller Tundra like you have, it's hard to resist upgrading to the later models with so much more power. Resale is really strong on your truck too which would help. But your truck would pull a 23 fine.

Personally, my wife and I would need a 25 or bigger for full timing. That size essentially gets two rooms which could be handy.

Tom
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
I'd recommend upgrading to the 07 model tundra and a 25 foot Airstream. You'll have room to grow. We also had a 05 tundra. The new models are much better.

Military campgrounds for the most part are a great benefit. We recently spent about 3 months in our famcamp while we waited for base housing. 420$ a month for full hookups, basic cable and laundry facilities were free. Only downside was every 30 days we had leave for 24 hours. Add to that was a 6 month limit per year.

DH and I plan to utilize military famcamps a lot when we full time after retirement.
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
North Las Vegas , Nevada
Thanks for all the input!

I am new to posting in forums or doing any blogging so I apologize if I stepped on any toes by asking the wrong questions. We are young, new to this, and still learning. As far as budget goes we are golden unless we need a new tow vehicle, that changes things considerably. I have looked at rallies and we want to shop around but the only airstream dealers are a good 5 or 6 hour drive from us (Las Vegas) so we can only make weekend trips to look. I will search the forum.

Good thing is we do not leave Las Vegas for 11 months so we have a year to plan this
bmarrero85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Scott AFB , Illinois
Your not stepping on any toes. Feel free to ask any question anytime.

Welcome to the forums and have fun searching!
smhx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
But the living room is essentially outside under the awning.

doug k
As it should be, you are camping after all.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarrero85 View Post
Good thing is we do not leave Las Vegas for 11 months so we have a year to plan this
We first learned of full-timing during an unrelated conversation and were so turned on by the idea we started right away taking steps to make it happen for us. Sounds like you two are on the path already too.

We had a 22 International, a great trailer we loved. But wanted a sofa, bigger fridge, and a dry bath so we looked around a little. Found the International CCD25-SS (not in production now) which added a sofa, doubled the fridge from 3 to 6 feet, and provided a separate shower from toilet from lavatory vanity. A perfect fit for us, we are in our fifth year living full time in this great airstream.

Check out Lani Pokrana (I think it is aluminabliss or something close to it) on your browser. She and her husband full-timed in a 23, even after the baby was born. They just came off the road but seemed to make their 23 work just fine. Another couple, not blogging I think, are in their third year full timing in a 20 Safari pulled by a 12 passenger van with back seats removed.

Good luck and great fun with your dreaming and planning. Remember this stage is part of the fun too, not just the means to an end.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote