Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Out here in the west there's plenty of people living in mobile homes and RVs on land. But the closer you are into town, the more rules there are. They are trying to make Tiny Homes legal, luckily there is a builder in the area spearheading the efforts.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2016/m...lf-industries/

Funny it says county code does not allow mobile homes smaller than ~800 Sq ft - our actual ranch style home is only 900!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, If you plan to buy an Airstream to remodel. And add a roof, a mud room, and a laundry room. Wouldn't it be better and possibly cheaper to just buy a pre-fab house?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed067 View Post
My wife & I are wanting to live in an Airstream full-time. I've spent many years of my younger days living in an RV not an Airstream but various RV's. There is a twist though. Though out the years we've wanted to live/build a tiny home.

Once we do find one we want to gut it & buy some land & live in it. Our problem is that we can't find any laws saying that we can or can't not live in a RV on our land. We got enough time before we buy the land but no one can seem to help us find anything out regarding living in an RV on private land.

Been lurking just never posted.

Thank you in advance.

Depends on the location. Go to the zoning office where you intend to buy land and ask.

20 years ago I had 70 acres in Custer County Colorado, beautiful, put in septic and a well and was going to move my 5th wheel out there.

My father got sick. I went to take care of him. Ended up selling the property and the 5th wheel.

Now we home base out of a 55+ park in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. We have a newer park model we got for cheap. We're close to stores, health care, family.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Valdosta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, If you plan to buy an Airstream to remodel. And add a roof, a mud room, and a laundry room. Wouldn't it be better and possibly cheaper to just buy a pre-fab house?

We've looked at AS for around 4K they need work on the inside which is fine because we wanted to gut it anyhow. land would be the biggest cost even more so having to put in a septic tank, well, etc in. As I stated above land in that area goes for $3,500ish an acre.

IF we can find one with those on it then all the better. Getting a big enough storage building to have it all together was the idea. Mudroom, laundry room & storage for our bikes & hiking gear. IN the end we're going to look into the local zoning laws & hope that we can do this. If not then maybe building our own tiny home is the way to go.
Reed067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Read067 do you have a 1990 34' Excella or not?
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you are dealing with a county like we have here in Fl. Your biggest drawback will be dealing with the local environmental protection dept. here they have more power than law enforcement and can enter your property without a warrant, meaning every little detail of your trailer setup will be scrutinized in complete detail. So be sure to check this out. Thanks, just trying to help.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Airstreams are designed to roll, not to sit still.

They are not designed for permanent location, four season living accommodations. Any decent home builder can tell you why tiny houses are ill suited for that purpose as well. Although some small homes have a decent design.

It seems like you are getting the picture when you said that gearing up for your dream, could eat up the proceeds of your house. I'd bet your house is by far more comfortable than any RV.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
I hope you find the Airstream of your dreams. I wish you the best of luck.
Please, let your fellow Airstreamers know about your find.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Valdosta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatingair View Post
Read067 do you have a 1990 34' Excella or not?
No as of this time we do not. When I signed up it asked me to choose so I picked what we are looking for. The internet down here is terrible after 8pm getting online is a gamble. I have fixed that sorry if it felt like I miss led anyone. That was not my intention.
Reed067 is offline   Reply With Quote