Old 02-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
San Diego , California
Momo,
Couple of things you might want to consider on the less positive side. First, pulling a trailer or driving an RV around oddly enough rarely enables one to park off the side of the road and live freely. There are some BLM lands in the west you can drive off onto and park for free or a greatly reduced price, which is great with a capital G, but many places don't really appreciate a herd of RV's hanging out. The other option most people go for is in an RV park, and those aren't exactly on the cheap side. Well, at least I don't consider them cheap. Of course, you can find the exception occasionally. I lived in an RV in Southern California for the better part of a year and found that life in RV parks is just a little close. Physically close. Parking six to ten feet from the next guy isn't uncommon. Privacy becomes an issue. For those of us enjoying the wide open spaces, that isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. You will have to get used to moving occasionally to freguently depending on the park's policies. Being a military retiree, their parks frequently have a limit on how long you can stay in them before moving on.
On the more positive side, I've seen some wonderful sights and lived in some great places, if only for a while. Picking an Airstream for full timing is a wise choice, given they usually have 2 1/2 inches of insulation. The Winnebago I used to have had an inch of insulation, if that, and is not a good choice for full time living. Keep reading and doing your research, and you will come up with the right choice!

Old 02-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rss_ty
Momo,
Couple of things you might want to consider on the less positive side. First, pulling a trailer or driving an RV around oddly enough rarely enables one to park off the side of the road and live freely. There are some BLM lands in the west you can drive off onto and park for free or a greatly reduced price, which is great with a capital G, but many places don't really appreciate a herd of RV's hanging out. The other option most people go for is in an RV park, and those aren't exactly on the cheap side. Well, at least I don't consider them cheap. Of course, you can find the exception occasionally. I lived in an RV in Southern California for the better part of a year and found that life in RV parks is just a little close. Physically close. Parking six to ten feet from the next guy isn't uncommon. Privacy becomes an issue. For those of us enjoying the wide open spaces, that isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. You will have to get used to moving occasionally to freguently depending on the park's policies. Being a military retiree, their parks frequently have a limit on how long you can stay in them before moving on.
On the more positive side, I've seen some wonderful sights and lived in some great places, if only for a while. Picking an Airstream for full timing is a wise choice, given they usually have 2 1/2 inches of insulation. The Winnebago I used to have had an inch of insulation, if that, and is not a good choice for full time living. Keep reading and doing your research, and you will come up with the right choice!
There is an entire section full of sub-sections by region for Boondocking. Check into that section for the free and really cheap places to park it. Many places seem to have a limit on stay time, but I don't know if the rules prohibit a person from leaving for a day and coming right back if you're really interested in staying at that one place. Bob Thompson here has some really great threads called "Cheap or Free in..." and he lists the state. I'd love to have all the states listed some day and I'm sure he would too.

PS... I see nothing wrong with living off the land as long as you are respectful to nature, other people, private & public lands, and not breaking laws. And of course, part of this, I believe, means being a concientious and compassionate person, so lend a hand when you can. More power 2 u!

Peace Out!!!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
As for making money on the Internet: eBay featured a father and son not to long ago making $10,000.00 a month selling model trains. I know this is an exception but I've done a fair amount of eBay selling ( camera equiptment) with my best month at $3.800.00. Your not going to make this selling garage sale finds and Knic knacks, but it can be done and as long as you have the Internet and a Post Office your in business. The Post Office will supply Priorty Mail boxes and and tape for free and even deliver them to your house. (or Airstream)
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Momo3: Your young, your a dreamer and your naive but hey that's OK. I don't see a success to wintering in St.Paul in an AS. Too cold and yes, you will get cabin fever. If you have people and can't leave for whatever reason, all is not lost. MN is insanely beautiful and especially from May to November; in those months live your dream but come back inside when it gets cold.

Park that silver beauty in the vicinity of one of those cool northern lakes or wherever and enjoy it for what it was intended, camping and traveling during the 6 months when MN really shines. If I wanted to full-time in AZ or NM an AS would be fine because I would be outside. In MN I'd opt for a 5ver by Excel, New Horizons or Teton because they can take the cold, they are roomier and warmer. That said these particular 5vers can be seriously expensive. Best of Luck.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
San Antonio , Texas
Momo, I love this topic too! Here's another thread for your consideration. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-42066.html Living off-grid in a 'Stream must be archetypal! Find an airstream that suits you and lead the way!

“Complications arose, ensued, were overcome...savvy?”
- Captain Jack Sparrow
monocoque is offline   Reply With Quote