Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu , Colorado
Want to become full-timers next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
Thank you for your service! I've been full time for the last couple months and am currently admiring the view from my dining room table. I can't get over how many windows AS's have (pic attached...could they fit anymore windows). I went with a 25FT due to the layout with the twin beds up front (nice extra outside storage). IMO, I'd look for a gently used AS with all the bugs worked out. I tried to find a used one but due to the timing of moving out of my apt lease, selling or donating most of my belongings, and reporting to my new duty station, I went with new. Can't speak from experience with traveling with pets as I don't have any.

Best of luck with your search and decision to full time.

Safe travels!

OSCS,

Gently used makes a lot of sense, and this is my gut reaction so far too... that said, another good point
Was made about the older you get, the less depreciation you will have... I do like "nice" thinks though so not sure I want to go with the 90's look either..... that may be a little superficial of me...

The view, windows and quality are definitely elements drawing us to AS as well! Can't wait to be posting from mine!

Are you full timing while serving? That's s cool feat, if so!
FishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Sulphur , Oklahoma
First I want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR SERVICE.
We started out with a 2017 27 flying cloud. We had it for several months and after three trips decided it was to small and didn't like the floor plan for our needs. We traded it in for a 2017 30 classic and love it. We pull it with a 2017 Nissan Titan HD with Cummings diesel. Pulls awesome. I do have to say if we were going for any length of time like your planning we would probably have to go with a toy hauler or fifth wheel. The airstream really close in on you when having to stay in them all day while raining or snowing. Good luck.
Dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
As you say, Sequoia is an incredible machine. Passenger comfort and convenience exceeds all others, and three rows of fold-flat seating make it the most versatile cargo bay of any SUV. Last summer, fellow campers with an Escalade couldn’t believe a Toyota could pull a trailer as large as ours. But specs on my Sequoia say it tows 2,400 lbs more than their Escalade. When I showed his Mrs the interior layout, especially the kiddie compartment in the rear, she swore they would trade the Escalade for a Sequoia as soon as they got home.

BUT the Sequoia is dated. There have been no significant upgrades since 2008. Newer Tundras are superior towing machines. Keep driving your Tundra. It’s the most economical thing you can do. No doubt there are a LOT more miles left in your current truck. If you ever do wear it out, there are plenty more Tundras to take its place.

Kids and/or pets may make an SUV a better choice than a pickup. We chose an SUV because when we’re home, we give rides to church. Regardless your tow vehicle, it’s always better to put excess cargo in the trailer. We carry only comfort items in the truck with us; snacks and pillows, etc.

I can’t speak to the quality of pre 2002 AS. We are very satisfied with our ‘89 Avion, but there are those who say the best Avions were pre ‘74. View as many trailers as you reasonably can. You will recognize your trailer when you see it. ALL trailers require regular repairs and maintenance. It won’t be difficult to see when a trailer has been abused or neglected.

Old RV wisdom says <20’ trailers are great for weekends in the park. 20-26’ trailers are well suited for two or three week vacations. >28’ are for long term travel/camping. In addition to larger water, sewer, and propane tanks, they also may have larger batteries. This gives far greater flexibility during extended travel. Obviously larger refrigerators, closets, and bigger bathrooms will make your time more comfortable. These can be significant quality of life issues.

We’ve had our trailer less than a year, and have put about 8,000 miles on it. This includes a few weekends in local state parks. We spent a week at a church convention in FL (one of the primary reasons for wanting an RV, especially with LOTS of closets, a large bathroom, and full size kitchen). Last fall we traveled to the PNW; three weeks and about 5,000 miles. We stayed in campgrounds a few days each in Portland and Vancouver BC. Otherwise we boondocked pretty much every night. There’s simply no reason we need hookups while on the road.

Trailer life is not about rushing. Top speed for most trailer tires is 65MPH. We usually roll about 60-65. If you’re in a hurry, catch a plane. Observe that most interstates have a minimum speed limit. You have as much a right to go the minimum that anyone has going maximum. If you’re going that much slower than the rest of traffic, the guys in a hurry will be passed and gone before they have time to get aggravated that you’re going slow. As long as you are driving safely, it’s NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS what other drivers think of you. BE SAFE.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #24
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like you want an Airstream that's "ready to camp," so do keep that in mind when you're looking for something used. Depending how handy you are, consider finding an Air Forums member near you who has signed up as a volunteer inspector for used Airstreams. That person might help you spot a serious problem (e.g. leaks and rotten flooring, or rear separation) that you, as an Airstream Newbie, could easily miss.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTank View Post
So, this is the story:

I was injured in military service (Canadian, though i have served with US and UK troops for a few years in Afghanistan) and am forced to medically retire. My wife and I have decided it may be the perfect opportunity to take a year or two off work to travel North America (with our 2 dogs and maybe a cat? I'm trying to convince her the cat is a bad idea and that we should leave then at her moms..). I'm 35 and she is 30, for point of reference.

I would ideally like to to both coasts (as far north as Alaska and maybe further south than just the US), with some trips towards the interior to see anything interesting that we want to see.

I've been wondering what size trailer we should buy, and what size pickup goes with what, and for any tips and tricks. I presently have a 5.7l Tundra, but as I know that it's quite the consumer of fuel, Im thinking of moving towards a Chevy (maybe even 2500) for the year or two on the road. I guess size of the truck goes with size of the trailer... any advice?

On the trailer side, we are currently thinking that we will aim for a 30' classic with a queen size bed. I'm thinking bigger may keep us more sane over the long term, but I'm also cognassent that bigger will cost more in gas and be more difficult to park, etc...? I thought 23 may do the trick, but I also think this may be too small... are there any must have features? As we plan on essentially living in it for 2 years, are there some better in colder climates than others?

We are thinking buying second hand is best? We want to purchase something that won't lost too much value over the 2 years we are likely to own it, and recoup most of our down payment when we sell. I'm not sure back to what year I'm willing to go, and this is why I need some advice. Is newer better? Does it matter? Where is the sweet spot for buying and reselling in terms of age?

Does anyone have experience travelling North America with pets? I imagine dogs are pretty common but cats?

Well, thats all i have for now, hopefully it will generate some discussion that will give us all the info we could want thanks in advance for any advice!
Thank you Fish, for serving alongside my Veteran brothers and sisters. I know the sandbox hasn't been a good place for anyone as I have good friends that were there in it's earlier wars. I got out in 1981, Cold War Vet.

My boyfriend and I live in our 1987 32 Classic Airstream Motorhome from 4 to 6 months a year. 32 feet is the smallest I could go or recommend for fulltiming. Sometimes I still get a bit close feeling.

We have 1 dog and 2 cats. All of them are very easy to live with, they all get along, the only bad thing is PET HAIR EVERYWHERE. I will recommend my skinny vacuum at the end. I have major back issues, my Chris vacuums everything every morning. KatyKat and Chibi have finally accepted Turbo into their family most generously, but are still teaching him Cat manners. Turbo's first move at them years ago as a Puppy was to bound up to them and drop down into play invitation position, they were frightened out of their wits at his enormous size, 25 lbs LOL, and angered at his gall! He earned a claws out smack on the nose. He didn't understand and cried piteously. He crawled forward, begging forgiveness, they hissed. We worked at it much slower after that. They will now concede to lay close to one another, and Chibi is trying to convince him that she should be able to lay on top of him, because he's made of warm. Don't let your wife leave the kitty behind, she may concede to it out of her great love for you, but it will hurt, she will miss her cat, and grudges are built on such as this. You would never think of leaving your dog. I assure you she feels exactly the same about her cat. I know because I am a dog lover who loves a cat lover. I simply could never hurt my true love like that. Oh, and you should know that once cats get used to traveling, they are easier to travel with than dogs. We keep the litter box in the shower, it's cleaned twice a day, the fan cleans the smell out immediately while Chris goes to grab cleaning supplies. The box sits in the hallway while we shower. I only ask for a few things, no cats on the counters, my food is prepared there for God's sake! And no litter box smell, because in such a tight space it's overpowering. And I will not play with or pet cats at night. Yes, cats are nocturnal, I get that, I however, am NOT. Chris has managed to teach the cats not to touch me or wake me for play while I am sleeping. I do love KatyKat and Chibi, and they love me back, they seem to realize that I am burdened with rules, they have no understanding of why, but love me anyway. Which is pretty cool for a cat. We do head bumps. ��

Our dog is medium to large, 24 inches high, 55 lbs, he is a Kelpie. Loves to lay on our feet, and LOVES to hike for miles. I put a pack on him and he carries his own food, water, bowl, bags, extra leash, etc.

If you don't have pet health insurance I am going to suggest you step into your nearest PetSmart with BanField Pet Hospital and buy a MultiPet Plan now. I pay about $70 to cover our three and it covers all exams plus labs and most vaccines, all your pet visits for illness and injury etc. I bought it when Turbo was less than one year old and I have saved many thousands of dollars. His medical records and information are in their system nation wide. Whatever state I am visiting, I can find a Petsmart close by. They also have grooming, and some have pet hotels. I've used the grooming extensively and the groomers are awesome. I've never boarded Turbo anywhere except with family. A grooming every six to eight weeks makes for a LOT less hair in your home.

Make a file for each of your animals, it MUST have a copy of the latest rabies vaccine, the last health exam, and a packet of Lost Flyers with very clear photos of your pet, his/her name, how to approach, or not to approach at all, all phone numbers, etc. leave blank space for writing in your current address/Campground, where last seen, etc. You may never lose your pet, but if you do, these will be immediately available. Sometimes pets, dogs and cats, feel so confined that they make a run for it out the door. Your fear for them causes you to give chase, their fear causes them to run faster, and eventually they are lost, alone, and frightened. They don't know the area and can't find their way back. Put up your flyers right away. Take one of them to the nearest copy machine and make more, always make copies of the original in case it happens again.

You also need to chip your pets if they have not been chipped yet. Turbo and I use the "Home Again" program in his chip. For $17 a year they keep his information up to date and if he gets lost a nation wide flyer is put out to all dog shelters, and Veterinarian's offices as well. New dogs in either of these places are always scanned, but a flyer brings my dog to immediate attention. Home Again will also fly my pet back to me at my home address. Look into this and like programs.

I have no idea what your injury is, but give consideration to an Airstream Moho, (Motorhome). Setting up a Moho at the end of a days driving is very simple, and if you are just too tired, may be skipped until morning; depends on how out of level, will your fridge work?

Chris did homework on trailer vs Moho and he decided on Moho. We have the Chevy Big Block Engine in ours, this means the parts are easy to find and inexpensive, and if you already know about fixing the classic muscle cars, not hard to fix at all. Like everything, do your research thoroughly. What's good for us, may not be your cup of tea. At our age these engines are a complete known, we may be the last generation that had cars that were easily fixed. Vehicles before computers. We have a toad, an old Jeep. It's a "toad" because it's towed behind us. That's how we get around once we've parked.

I have no idea if you can make use of Veteran discounts as a Canadian, look this up now and if you are eligible for any, Apply now or when you enter the states. Perhaps you have a friend who might provide a temporary mailing address. (If anyone wants to rag on me for this because he isn't an American Veteran, remember that Canadian Soldiers served with us in the sandbox and several other wars as well), I am not advocating anything illegal, only that he check what is available to him. I have a Veteran and/or Disabled card in two states, and a Federal discount card as well. I'm 100% service connected for PTSD and Seizure Disorder, (not combat related, but at the hands of an Army captain while serving). Always carry a file of your military papers, especially regarding your Disabled status. If you have a Veteran and/or Disability card, carry it always. Lots of places give small discounts to us.

Well that's a beginning, if there is anything I can help you with, one Veteran to another, message me. I'd love to help you and your wife out if I can.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The standard process is to look at a number of layouts and mentally figure out how you would live, travel and store stuff. See if a 25 will work. It is a good compromise of size vs features. The 30 you suggest should work for most if the price is within your reach.

Full time = different than a weekend. A couple of years = different than retirement and forever. Travel is different than camping. The lifestyle you want is the driver for the coach that will work for you.

We have a 23. We think it is perfect. Great travel size. Big enough with the right features. However we travel a month and return home to plan the next adventure. Some folks can full time in a 23. Others would go stark raving mad in two months. Your nature is key to the coach size you need.

How do you spend your day? On a couch watching the tube, on a lawn chair checking the scenery, hiking, fishing, stamp collecting or doing adult beverage at the bar. Some delights work better with space, others would be well done with only a place to lay your head at night.

The used rigs are different than new. Most feel they will be good value. Finding the best is worth some time spent looking. Your DIY ability has a lot of impact on your decision. In any case save some capital for repairs and a few upgrades. Tires more than three years old need to be replaced. A tread separation on an AS results in $2-5K of aluminum damage. Brakes should be checked regularly. Bearings should be repacked every 2 years unless they live in a dry climate. ASs will leak if the roof sealants are not maintained. A moisture meter is a good investment. Battery capacity is a challenge, but if you use less electrical power the investment follows. Golf Cart 6volts are likely most cost effective, but are not a direct replacement. There are very cost effective generators on the market now as opposed to an investment in solar.

We talked to a fellow at a gas station in the middle of Nevada. He purchased a 34 for his wife. Got a good deal and she liked it. However, they did not use it. He thought his truck would not pull it, which may have been true, but there are folks towing 34s with mini-vans. Just note that your expectations impact how you feel about your rig.

Other shoe - you can likely buy a new SOB for what a good used AS will cost you. After two years, the SOB will be worth less than the AS, but you may have a better experience. Note - older appliances vs new ..... At a minimum, you should look. Check on the Oliver trailers as a reference point. A well maintained fifth wheel in a reasonable size might be worth considering.

TV - the Tundra may well prove to be a good solution, depending on the coach you decide to purchase. Lots of folks love them. The advantage is that you are familiar with it. Obviously you are predisposed to the brand. The disadvantage is fuel consumption as well as possibly towing capacity/payload rating. First you need to determine your coach and then look at how you want to pull it. Conservative travel speed gives you more options than 75-80 mph speeds.

Research and knowledge is your friend and will save you a lot of $s. That is because everything you consider will be a compromise. The better you understand the subject the better your decision will be. Standard answers cost a bundle. Informed decisions save a bundle. Besides, all this is your responsibility, if you choose to do it.

And yes, thank you very much for your service. Very much! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Hey guys!

I'll look at responding to some posts a little later, but we went to see our first airstream today. Serenity 25RB for 82 000$ cnd (61,000$USD). A few questions after the visit:

1. He has solar power installed (200w). Is this enough to keep everything running off grid? Is solar a reasonable idea for keeping off grid, or am I going to need a generator one way or another?

2. Air conditioning. Deep down inside, I knew the concern was present somewhere... but, i have dogs. What if I need to leave the dogs in the trailer for 3-4 hours... is there any way to get my air conditioner running on solar, or the draw will make this not feasible? What do those of you with pets do when off power with the animals?

3. There were some small, seemingly dismissible cracks in between the wall and the floor thingy (baseboard trim type stuff) is this normal, or a sign of something to come? I can include a pic..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	286012

4. The hitch was a Hensley hitch thing... (will include pic) I was under the impressing I could just hitch it up to my pickup and pull it on the ball like a normal trailer without the need for something like this... is it worth its weight in extra problems? Do I need such a thing? He was talking about maybe getting equalizers? Anyone know anything about this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	668.2 KB
ID:	286017

5. After visiting, the amount of storage seemed.... lacking.... that said, i really don't know how much stuff will will or will not want... has anyone found their trailer too small in terms of storage space? I don't think even a 27', lets say, would have much more storage...? Particular concern was for clothes.. we like to do many type of activities, which require different footwear and clothes, maybe wet suits, etc...

Our first visit made my realize how green (green but undeterred) I am when it comes to making this type of purchase... I will definitely look into getting the "advisor" someone else suggested for any future visits. And comments on the price would be appreciated. He also has a bike rack installed on the rear, so that may add a bit to the price. Solar (flex panels permanently installed and factory inverter) seems to have been professionally installed as the engle England knew little about electrical systems...
Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I recommend 27-30 feet. At the smaller end if you can, but with two people and your pets that's workable.

I'm also a huge vintage fan--much, much lower point of entry on the cost--though more things to fix too.

I full-timed for 2.5 years with my 90 pound dog in a 1973 25' Airstream Tradewind. We were in 38 states. It was awesome! I hope you love it half as much as I did. I knew NOTHING bout RVing when I started, I just went for it and learned as I went. I know some people need to do more planning, and that's not a bad thing.

This week I re-entered Airstream ownership and settled on the Tundra after reading a lot of the posts on here. My new Airstream is smaller and lighter than my first one--I got a 22' 1962 Safari. I was considering the Chevy Colorado with Durmax diesel, but by buying a certified used Tundra I saved $10,000 and will have more than enough truck. The Tundra can pull just about any Airstream trailer. Not sure what the old 34-footers weigh but I wouldn't want anything that big anyway.

As far as your cat . . . that depends on the cat. Definitely will need leash trained. I met full-timers with cats before so if the cat is willing, it's doable.

Good luck and enjoy! And consider vintage!

Regarding 3-5 on your last post:

3. That alone wouldn't worry me, though hard to know just from that photo.

4. Hensley hitches are highly recommended. These hitches distribute the weight and eliminate (or cut way back on) trailer sway from cross winds and passing large vehicles. There are many other options and your needs will vary depending on your trailer and tow vehicle. Rich Luhr of Airstream Life magazine has written a lot about hitches and he also has two maintenance guides that I STRONGLY recommend. Go to www.airstreamlife.com.

5. I think what most of us learn when we full-time is how little we really need, and that's one of the great beauties of it. I packed things when I was moving out of my house into my trailer that I never used, though not too many. That's something you'll sort out as you go. As far as your gear for various activities, strong plastic bins became my friend when I was full-timing. You'll have your truck too. You can make it work.

Sounds like fun times ahead!
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Solar panels are good for keeping your trailer's batteries charged, and not much more than that. It will keep your systems running (lights, water pump, fridge controls, furnace...) when you're boondocking. Unless you have an enormous solar system, it won't run the microwave, or 110v outlets. AC is completely out of the question.

Yes, you want a weight distribution hitch for anything larger than a popup trailer. Hensley is top of the line! You'll get the hang of it quickly.

There is a direct correlation between the length of your trailer and the size of the closets (and bathroom, and kitchen cabinets, countertops, water tank, sewer tanks, refrigerator, batteries, LP tanks, etc, etc,...). I would rather have too much closet space than not enough. That's why there are so many sizes of trailers; we all have different needs.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Can I ask you why you're looking to upsize pickups? I'm wondering if, like, a bigger engine will be worth it over the long term... i.e. Bigger engines consume less gas to pull loads as they don't work as hard as lower engines... so, would a 2500 be even better than my 5.7L tundra? Gas wise...?

Our dogs are both 50lbs for point of reference, and they both travel very well. They are both rescued, and we often bring them with is for 2-4hr car rides, so I don't think they'll mind travelling. Big check in the cartes and food, my wife studied in animal science and agriculture, so we have a bit more knowledge than average... not experte though, so reminders are always appreciated

When you bought, did you buy used? How many years did you use your trailer and what do you think you would sell it for today? I'm trying to get a feel for what the depreciation looks like....?
My AS and current tow setup were bought used from my youngest son due to some 'interesting circumstances'. He bought it in 2008 for about $41K and its still worth about the same...We have installed a PrecisionTemp tankless hot water system, AMSolar solar panel system, and done other upgrades to match our travel style. We still have the AS. Son now has a V8 Lexus and can tow the AS in a pinch. He's the only one in the family that can borrow it...because he knows what he is doing.

Since the 23' AS behind a Tacoma (Crew cab 4x4, short bed V6) is a bit of a drag (pun intended) in the western US mountains, wife has suggested a Tundra would be more powerful and possibly more comfortable. The Tacoma does not have a power-adjustable driver seat, and the bigger Tundra models generally do. I'm getting old and creaky enough to appreciate a more adjustable seat. Because we flat won't consider other than Toyota trucks, this limits the options. She's thinking a crew cab 4x4 Tundra with a short bed and all the high-tech navigation and other goodies...in a year or two.

Our middle son and his wife are both veterinarians, and dispense with pet travel guidance regularly. One of the things we learned the hard way is that there is nothing worse than a dog off his regular feed and water, so we pay extra attention to keeping their diet and feeding times stable. We had one that I swear could barf up gallons of evil-smelling stuff when she got sick...

All our rescue pups are smallish (no bigger than 22 pounds max) and simply love to travel. The four of them sleep in their crate and generally nap on the freeway, and alert when we start to drive around 'town'. We stop and walk them regularly, make sure the AS is cool enough for them while we go eat, or they stay in the truck with a human in charge, with AC running while I run for takeout food. The challenge there is that they want to share...

A few short trips, and they fall into the routine. Longest trip was 6 week stay in with the Middle son's family, and our beasties roamed with their dogs after a proper introduction. We still used crates to keep them behaving right...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Want to become full-timers next year

rmkrum,

I have no doubt you will love the Tundra; I know I love mine and if it weren't for the towing capacity worry, I wouldn't be changing it (in fact, Im thinking of more "storing it" (having the in laws drive it a few times a week) and buying a Silverado 2500HD diesel).

Take us from someone who has spent a lot of time in both the tundra and the Tacoma, the Tacoma doesn't hold a candle to the Tundras comfort.... (but I would (and actually have) take the hilux (Tacoma) into battle in a heart beat.

The one thing I would recommend against is in-vehicle navigation (unless it's a much newer truck that connects to the internet to upload new maps). After owning several in dash navs, garnish, etc, I can safely assert that no navigation device is more accurate / up to date than google on your phone (more especially in NA than elsewhere). My wife puts over 100 000 miles on her pickup a year, and google is where it's at. If I had to choose my truck over again, I'd skip the Nav option.

Alluminati,

I agree on the storage point, which is pushing us much more towards the 28 / 30. We've pretty much decided it needs to be one of these.... once again, I have to say the weight concerns me. I know my Tundra can do 10 000lbs, and I know it's a beast... but with an 8000lbs trailer.... that doesn't leave much more room for all out stuff before a reach max capacity.... max capacity is fine for occasional tows, but I'm. I'm not sure I want to put 20 000 max capacity miles on my Tundra in a year.... any feedback with respect to this concern from experienced pers would be much appreciated.

I'm also a bit disappointed at the functionality of solar... i really thought I'd be able to rely on it more to make long term (minus the water / black water issue) feasible without the need for gas.

General question to all:

Someone has mentioned that a Honda generator conversion to propane may offer a more viable cost effective solution... anyone have any experience with this? What's your boondock setup, and what's your dream boondock setup if you were starting from scratch and knew you'd be moving around a lot?
Old 05-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Utah,

Thanks for your post, I'll look more deeply into the Hensley.

On the vintage side, the one small concern I have is how well they would travel (In talking about a upgraded vintage)... as in, of the "flipper" installed tile with grout in the shower... I can't imagine this travels well over bumps on a dirt road... would probably develop cracks, lead to water Infil and eventually rot... thats What worries me about vintage that I haven't redone myself... and In thats note, Im not confident on my own abilities to make one into the travelling home I would like it to be....
Old 05-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=FishTank;1954192]rmkrum,

I have no doubt you will love the Tundra; I know I love mine and if it weren't for the towing capacity worry, I wouldn't be changing it (in fact, Im thinking of more "storing it" (having the in laws drive it a few times a week) and buying a Silverado 2500HD diesel).

Alluminati,

I agree on the storage point, which is pushing us much more towards the 28 / 30. We've pretty much decided it needs to be one of these.... once again, I have to say the weight concerns me. I know my Tundra can do 10 000lbs, and I know it's a beast... but with an 8000lbs trailer.... that doesn't leave much more room for all out stuff before a reach max capacity.... max capacity is fine for occasional tows, but I'm. I'm not sure I want to put 20 000 max capacity miles on my Tundra in a year.... any feedback with respect to this concern from experienced pers would be much appreciated.

I have towed my 28' through 26 states with my Tundra, which I love. What I did not know/understand before I bought my 28' was that they carry the heaviest tongue weight of almost ANY Airstream. It will be at least 1000lbs and maybe more. This is a big deal if you have a Tundra which is handicapped by small payload #'s ranging from 1250-1475ish. If the Tundra had 2000lbs of payload, it would be a dream tow vehicle, but it does not. I think 2000lbs of payload would be my minimum if full timing.
Second limiting factor for full timing with the Tundra is the brakes. I have only had one issue in all my travels and it was on the Teton Pass (6 miles of 10% grade). I made it to the top going 30mph at the peak. But going down the other side was too much for this set up IMO. This is where a diesel exhaust brake is priceless.
Having giving you the negatives, I love my Tundra and it serves me well with its limitations. If I was full timing, there is no doubt that I would be in a big deisel with a cap on the back.

Guten Tag!
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
[QUOTE=malinois38;1954239]
Quote:
I know my Tundra can do 10 000lbs, and I know it's a beast... but with an 8000lbs trailer.... that doesn't leave much more room for all out stuff before a reach max capacity.... max capacity is fine for occasional tows, but I'm. I'm not sure I want to put 20 000 max capacity miles on my Tundra in a year

Tundra which is handicapped by small payload #'s ranging from 1250-1475ish. If the Tundra had 2000lbs of payload, it would be a dream tow vehicle, but it does not.

Second limiting factor for full timing with the Tundra is the brakes.
Our Sequoia (which has less towing capacity that the current Tundra) is pulling a 34' trailer with a dry weight of 7900 lbs, and a 9995 GVWR. Fully loaded we weigh in at about 9300 lbs. Commonly people will load about 1,200 lbs in a trailer this size. Add a couple hundred more if you full-time.
In the last year we have towed about 8,000 miles with no ill effects from that load. Toyota has proved it delivers on its promises. If it says it can carry a load, it will do so with aplomb. I have no significant experienced with a Chevy 2500, but Toyota delivers confidence in much greater measure than the Ford's I've owned and driven.

Current Tundra payloads range from 1,400 to over 2,000 lbs.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use your brakes on long steep downhill grades!!!!

Proper downshifting is not intuitive, but is easy to learn. Google it, and practice it. If it's not easy, you're doing it wrong. Go back and read it again. Once you learn how, you'll find how pleasant rolling downhill can be.