Old 05-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Unlimited Broadband for Full-Timers

This article was just posted by Mali-Mish, who have a wonderful Airstream blog.

Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog. Blog Archive Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler – Unplugged.

It solves a big problem for those of us who work on the road.

Thanks Dan!!!

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post

Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog. Blog Archive Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler Unplugged.

Thanks Dan!!!
I like your Avatar and Cupcake quote

Old 05-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secguru View Post

Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog. Blog Archive Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler Unplugged.

Thanks Dan!!!
Thanks Thomas for sharing our post with the community! I will be happy to answer any questions people may have about our setup.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
OK, this is my dream, too! Eleven years ago my company permitted me to move three hours south of the office to live in a rural Virginia county in our log home and continue to contribute to the firm. Now we want to transfer the work life to inside the Excella for extended periods of time. Unlimited broadband is an essential part of that plan.

I'm currently using the VirginMobile MiFi Broadband2Go $40-per-month plan. They haven't really capped me yet, so far as I can tell, but the threat is there. I'm eager to hear the solutions others have adopted.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
gheuer, you have a perfect opportunity to do just that. One thing I learned is that my clients are on a need to know basis on my personal life. They don't need to know where I am and what I am doing. As little as it matters to them, people do get envious and it can potentially effect the working relationship down the line.

You might already know this but your VirginMobile data plan uses the Sprint EVDO network. So your coverage will be exactly the same if you were to switch. There are several reasons why the MiFi does not work for me and one of them is that our service provider does not officially support them.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish
gheuer, you have a perfect opportunity to do just that. One thing I learned is that my clients are on a need to know basis on my personal life. They don't need to know where I am and what I am doing. As little as it matters to them, people do get envious and it can potentially effect the working relationship down the line.

You might already know this but your VirginMobile data plan uses the Sprint EVDO network. So your coverage will be exactly the same if you were to switch. There are several reasons why the MiFi does not work for me and one of them is that our service provider does not officially support them.
Yes, I know and understand the "need to know" issues. Thanks for the encouragement.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
If you want unlimited 3g you first need an unlimited phone plan. Then you need a blackberry or a android then you can tether them to your computer. Just as fast as a air card. We use sprint.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I use a Verizon 4g (usually on 3G is found) access point for all this times I can't find WiFi...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
If you want unlimited 3g you first need an unlimited phone plan. Then you need a blackberry or a android then you can tether them to your computer. Just as fast as a air card. We use sprint.
thats a great tip. As a matter of fact, I do also have an unlimited data plan on my phone. And since my 3G broadband plan doesn't support 4G data, I will tether when I am in a 4G area to splurge a little
Old 05-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks!

Thanks Mali-Mish for joining in on this thread. Everyone who knows your blog loves it, and I think every Airstreamer should hit your blog daily, as I do. (I use Google search, so I always know when you have a new blog post).

The more all of us can get together to solve bandwidth (and other problems), the more wonderful our Airstream experience is for us all.

Also, thanks to TinCrumpet for your kind comments!

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
A year ago, I bought an android phone with 4G capability, expecting 4G to be in my area soon as all the Sprint stores were touting and promising. Now, after being sorely disappointed , I have discovered what a scam the whole 4G thing is, at least with Sprint. I have made numerous phone calls to Sprint to complain that their stores in my area keep pushing expensive 4G capable phones and yet, they can not even give us an estimate as to when 4G will be in the area. Very clever strategy. Surely, someone who does the planning for all this for a major mobile phone company like Sprint knows when. So why not be honest and tell customers? Futher adding to the disappointment is the fact that 4G will likely be obsolete before it ever gets in areas anyone would camp in. As Sprint is using Clearwire's WiMax system, it will likely only ever be available in high population density areas. 4G is data only, not phone capable and therefore not replacing 3G, and very expensive to build in remote areas.
I would be curious what Verizon and ATT users have discovered with the 4G promises made to them.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You know I pay local cable here in Oklahoma at about fifty dollars a month for 3 G....what I have heard from some about androids (and any other 'phone' that brings the wifi hotspots...is that they drain their battery life real quick while using the internet source. So I am subscribing to Malimish's blog...might learn something there, as I am also a fulltimer.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We're interested, too. We won't be full time full timers, but will be part time full timers. Does that make sense? We'll be in the trailer probably two months a year, but we need good internet access for that time, to do what we do.

Heck, if we could get the wireless equivalent of DSL offshore, reliable and affordable, I'd be writing this email from a 42 ft. catamaran.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Check the coverage maps, world of difference between providers, verizon seems to have the eastern market. Virgin Mobile only works close to the interstates highway system from my experience with it.