Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm actually using a Millenicom 3G "stick" in a Cradlepoint router right now. Millenicom offers a couple of plans that might be of interest. We chose the 20 GB/month for $60/month, which uses the Verizon network. Since we're still working, most of our use will be at home, and we have excellent Verizon coverage here. They offer an unlimited plan for somewhat more, but it uses the Sprint network. They also offer some special deals from time to time, so it might pay to check them out. Their website is millenicom.com should you be intersted.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I am getting ready to purchase the new PepWave Surf On The Go (OTG) that has a USB 2.0 connector for the USB modem. Then, I am debating whether to use either a 3G Verizon/Novatel USB 727 cell modem that we already have (but have never used), or buy a 3G/4G Sierra Wireless 250U modem. Whichever way we go, I plan to use either Millenicom's "BYOD (Unlimited)" or "3g/4g Unlimited" Plan. One of these USB models will replace our DSL line at home and become our primary broadband connection, both at home and on the road.

Have those of you that use Millenicom tested the upload and download speeds? What is the typical data rates for 3G? For 4G?

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Our current DSL speeds are 5.6 Mb down, 700k up, with a 60 msec ping. I am curious what speeds we can expect with Millenicom. Are we going to find the 3G speeds too slow, compared to what we are used to?

Also, has anyone used the PepWave Surf OTG?

Regarding Millenicom, what problems have you encountered with service, billing, cancellation, etc.?

Thanks for your input, in advance.

==========

For your reference:

http://3gstore.com/product/3498_surf...4g-router.html

http://www.millenicom.com/page/plans
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Unless you have 4G at home and unless your DSL is crappy, you will be disappointed in 3G. Speeds are ok for loading up a web page but when you download a big file such as photos or video, you quickly get throttled. So dont believe the speed tests. And if you not in a dense metro area don't expect 4 G service anytime soon.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have 4G in the Phoenix metropolitan area. We are planning on disconnecting the DSL and using the USB modem full time at home and on the road, to eliminate paying double for duplicate services. We just wondered if 4G was faster than our DSL for at-home use. I figure 3G will have to do for road trips, since it's that or nothing in the boonies.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Based upon what your DSL does, no. On average its about 4 - 5 times faster than 3G, not 10 times. And then there is the throttling problem. And the increasing traffic. I wish we had dsl here.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We have CenturyLink DSL (formerly Qwest), and we are on an old plan. CenturyLink is currently advertising DSL speeds up to 40 Mb, with a 5-year locked-in rate. However, you have to bundle the DSL with several other services, which ends up costing more than we currently pay per month. So, our DSL speeds are OK for now.

My wife and I recently retired and plan to spend a lot more time in our Airstream. Therefore, we have been looking at mobile broadband. Since adding the cell modem service basically doubles our monthly broadband expenses, it makes sense to turn the DSL off and just use the cell modem at home and while traveling.

I think we are committed to making the switch, but I'm just wondering if we are going to be happy using 4G at home. Also, I'm wondering how much different the 3G speeds will be from DSL; although this is probably a moot point, since we really don't have any other alternative for broadband while on the road. Whatever 3G turns out to be, it will have to do.

If Millenicom doesn't work out and we end up switching to a Verizon MiFi or some other device, does anyone have any experience getting it turned off? Any horror stories out there that I should be aware of? Also, in the preceding posts, one person switched to two tethered smart phones. Other than that, has anyone else switched because of poor service, billing problems, etc?

Thanks again for your responses...
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I am on Verizon 3G when on the road and it is fine for what I do (e-mail, bank and news) but there is a 5GB per month limit then $10 for each GB over the 5.

I have the Pantech 4G modem my normal usage is 2 to 3 GB and I have never run over on the 5GB limit but come close when updating my Garmin GPS that takes 2GB down load.

I have 4G at home and it is very fast 10+MB download speed same 5GB limit I have never been without service but 4G is only in the larger cities.

$50 a month for the 4G plan.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We have Sprint, mainly because the tower is half a mile from my house and no other carrier works where I live. Sprint has an interesting plan if you have a phone with "hot spot" capability. Turn on the phone's hot spot and you have wifi for up to 4 users. And, there is no data cap because of the unlimited data plan for phones that Sprint still offers. The cost for the hot spot is $20 / month. You can turn the service on when you leave on a trip and off when you return. There is no committment and no extra fee for turning on and off. So, if you have the phone, the hot spot feature is great and might work for travelling. I dont know, however, if anyone else's hot spot plan works like that.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Just concurring with everyone else — 3G gets me by, but it is no substitute for DSL or Cable internet when/if you can get it.

I'm travelling (and working) full-time now and have two Mellenicom plans to try to cover more bases — the Sprint "unlimited" plan and the Verizon 30GB plan. Once in a blue moon, I'll be in a place where the Verizon feels really fast, but I don't think it's ever felt as instant as the cable/DSL plans I've had at home. Most of the time, it gets me by, but it's slow enough to be frustrating (then again, I'm impatient). Sometimes it's extremely slow. It just depends on where you are. The Sprint card: even though it has a higher data limit, I use it less because there is less coverage. I have been in the Pacific Northwest, West Coast and Southwest. Coverage strengths between carriers vary by region.

If money is not too crucial of an issue, I would not cancel the DSL in favor of the 3g.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This is a post (unconfirmed) that I just read about Verizon's unlimited data plan (which I have and am grandfathered into). I have had the unlimited data plan for about 7 years now and this makes me very very unhappy.

"Verizon mentioned in an investor conference that it will be eliminating unlimited data plans, even for those it grandfathered in. From the article: 'Speaking at the J.P Morgan Technology Media and Telecom conference today, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo told investors that the company's 3G unlimited data plans that customers were allowed to hang onto last year when Verizon switched to a tiered offering will soon go away entirely. Instead, the company will migrate its existing and new 4G LTE customers to a new "data share plan." The company has yet to announce the details of this new plan, but it has said previously that the data share plan will be introduced in midsummer. The plan will allow people on the same family plan to share buckets of data each month, much like they share voice minutes and text messaging. It will also allow individuals to share data across different 4G LTE devices. '"
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Verizon tells us there will come a time in the not so distant future when there is only 4g. We don't want to upgrade to 4g, but eventually will have to if we wants to keep Verizon.

There are very few places where we get no signal, and usually those are areas where there is nothing from any provider.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
This is a post (unconfirmed) that I just read about Verizon's unlimited data plan (which I have and am grandfathered into). I have had the unlimited data plan for about 7 years now and this makes me very very unhappy.

"Verizon mentioned in an investor conference that it will be eliminating unlimited data plans, even for those it grandfathered in. From the article: 'Speaking at the J.P Morgan Technology Media and Telecom conference today, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo told investors that the company's 3G unlimited data plans that customers were allowed to hang onto last year when Verizon switched to a tiered offering will soon go away entirely. Instead, the company will migrate its existing and new 4G LTE customers to a new "data share plan." The company has yet to announce the details of this new plan, but it has said previously that the data share plan will be introduced in midsummer. The plan will allow people on the same family plan to share buckets of data each month, much like they share voice minutes and text messaging. It will also allow individuals to share data across different 4G LTE devices. '"
Uh-oh, don't like the sound of that. We are grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan, too. . We are soon not going to need so much data, though, so if it changes we will be okay.

We are very happy with Verizon.

Maggie
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Stillwater (last known) , United States
Exclamation antenna / booster

Just an endorsement of the MaliMish post : I followed his recipe for the most part, but the refurbed Sprint card I got was a lemon - went through Millenicom directly and got the Sprint/Sierra wireless hardware with their uncapped plan - just bought an antenna booster they recommended and the goodness got even better 6" Booster Antenna (Adapter Cable Sold Separately) [ARC-FR0803R30] : 3Gstore.com
nick_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Nick_gee,

Just curious, were you offered Verizon as a carrier option? Also, how did you decide on the antenna you got? Did you consider the other antennas available (if so, which ones)?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
And Sprint told us three years ago that we would actually have 4G. Not. Now Sprint has switch to LTE. Presumably superior and less trouble. Nonetheless, it is my contention because of the technical requirements , that 4G is simply a marketing ploy anywhere except high density metro areas. Never where you are probably going to camp. Unless someone comes up with a new way to move large amounts of data over the air in some other fashion , we are stuck in slow mode. I dont see anything out there even close.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Millenicom says 3G Advanced (20 Gb) and 3G/4G Hot Spot (20 Gb with MiFi) Plans are both Verizon, while Unlimited and BYOD Plans (50 Gb) are Sprint. I am leaning towards the Advanced Plan. Wish the Unlimited Plan was Verizon. Not interested in the MiFi. Would prefer 4G, but not willing to switch to Sprint.

Has anyone used the Cyfre booster amplifier kit that includes an external antenna? I am now considering that, too.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Has anyone used the Cyfre booster amplifier kit that includes an external antenna? I am now considering that, too.
I have the Wilson Sleek amplifier with external antenna ($90 to $120 depending on where you buy it) and it works very very well with any cell phone or cell modem device. You may have to use a rubber band to hold a modem in it, but it is a great amplifier.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
3gstore.com just announced the release of the new Wilson Sleek 4G-V Signal Booster for 3G and Verizon 4G LTE - 815126 [700V/800/1900mhz] - Ships on 06/13/2012

http://3Gstore.com/sleek4g
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
For those following this thread, see update at this link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ml#post1157676