Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
dekew and malimish, great blogs. i just spent so much time reading yours that I am neglecting my own.

Very interested in your experiences with the newer 27FB Internationals, as that is exactly what we have, too.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
dekew and malimish, great blogs. i just spent so much time reading yours that I am neglecting my own.

Very interested in your experiences with the newer 27FB Internationals, as that is exactly what we have, too.
@Gringo I just tried to go to your blog but it keeps redirecting itself to a link farm of some kind...
2007 International Ocean Breeze 25FB "Mali Mish"

Follow our adventures on MaliMish.com
We are also on Instagram, facebook, twitter and youtube
malimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Hmm. I just clicked the link in my previous post (above) and it went straight to it. How were you trying to get there?

you can google " 2 Gringos" and it usually pops up first, too.

But before putting any effort into it, you should know our blog has nothing to do with airstreams at all.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
@Gringo I just tried to go to your blog but it keeps redirecting itself to a link farm of some kind...
Hi malimish,

Are you clicking the link in Gringo's signature? Works fine for me too.

That's odd! Try this one? 2 Gringos in the Caribbean

https://2gringos.blogspot.com
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
Interesting, malimish, I just clicked on your link and got an error message as well... ??? Is the forum doing something to the signature links?

https://2gringos.blogspot.com
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
just clicked on the link on your post, for malimish.com, and got the message that it could not find "mlaimish.com". The spelling of your website was changed somehow.

methinks foul play is afoot...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Culver City , California
We're on our way back from Alumapalooza now, and using the verizon mifi card was a success - while our ATT Iphones struggled to get a connection, we could almost always count on the Verizon Mifi 3g (and 4g in big cities). Even in this terrible campground we've found in east memphis, 3g seems faster than most crappy wifi connections you get for free or even have to pay for in many campgrounds we've visited.

Dan, we're sorry we missed you this year. Maybe next year? We're certainly going again, and highly recommend it to everyone - it was a blast!

While there, I spoke to a few bloggers and web nerds who either had terrible tales of overage charges from the big 3, or were between carriers, but many were talking about (or experimenting with) Mellinicom. It seems to be the current darling with its promise of Verizon or Sprint networks as well as unlimited (although throttled) plans.

So far, we agree with Bambi_bandit. We're really happy with the flexibility of the ATT for phone / Verizon MiFi for everything else combo, but mellinicom seems to be hot on the zeitgeist of mobile web workers out there. Certainly worth a look.
2012 Ford F-250 6.2L V8 Crew Cab
Follow us on Weaselmouth.com, Connect with us on facebook and twitter!
dekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
I have a question about Millenicom: I keep reading that they use both Verizon and Sprint networks, but I can't find anything on their site that verifies this. In fact, the only reference to carriers I can find is the mention of using a Sprint-compatible device if you want to use your own device. Is there any verification that they actually have Verizon coverage? Of course, I could call, but…
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO
I have a question about Millenicom: I keep reading that they use both Verizon and Sprint networks, but I can't find anything on their site that verifies this. In fact, the only reference to carriers I can find is the mention of using a Sprint-compatible device if you want to use your own device. Is there any verification that they actually have Verizon coverage? Of course, I could call, but…
They do, and when you call to set up service, you can pick which carrier you want. I switched from sprint to verizon during my time with them. No problem.
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
So, if I understand this, the Millenicom setup is for data only, correct? We will also need to buy a phone while we are in the USA, I suppose.

Our cell phones here are Cable and Wireless (UK company) through local company known as Lime. They can't even supply decent coverage within this little country we live in. And their roaming charges are killer when we are in the USA.

When I look up the zip code for where we plan to spend most of our time in the AS ( 80536) AT&T doesn't show coverage. In fact, nobody but Sprint is promising cell coverage for that area.

So I guess the solution for us is both the Millenicom unlimited data plan, plus a Verizon cell phone as a separate entity entirely?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
So, if I understand this, the Millenicom setup is for data only, correct? We will also need to buy a phone while we are in the USA, I suppose.

Our cell phones here are Cable and Wireless (UK company) through local company known as Lime. They can't even supply decent coverage within this little country we live in. And their roaming charges are killer when we are in the USA.

When I look up the zip code for where we plan to spend most of our time in the AS ( 80536) AT&T doesn't show coverage. In fact, nobody but Sprint is promising cell coverage for that area.

So I guess the solution for us is both the Millenicom unlimited data plan, plus a Verizon cell phone as a separate entity entirely?
Yes, millenicom is for data cards only.

One option is to just get a verizon smartphone with data, and either pay for the official tethering option or "root" the android phone for wireless tethering.

Another option is to get a verizon smartphone with data and install PdaNet for a one time charge from the android marketplace. PdaNet will allow you to tether using USB cable from you pc/Mac using your android based phone. No "official" verizon tethering plan needed...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:56 AM   #32
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Yes, I mean Verizon is the only one showing coverage for Larimer Co. CO. Don't know why I wrote Sprint.

I still need to look up the terminology. We have fallen behind living here for six years. I don't have a clue what 'tethering' or 'root', or 'smartphone' or 'android based' even means at this point. We buy phones ( pre-paid) and make voice calls and send text messages. That's the full extent of our phone use. We use DSL for internet.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #33

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Kevin's suggestion for using a smartphone as a "hotspot" is a good budget solution, but the shortcoming on CDMA (Verizon) is that you can't have simultaneous voice and data unless you're in one of their LTE markets, and I'm guessing Larimer isn't yet offering LTE data.

That means when you're on the computer, your spouse can't make a phone call, and your spouse's mom will get voicemail when she calls you. This over time can lead to friction. If you're a light voice user and heavy data user, the scenario you described might work well. Get a prepaid phone (make sure it's on Verizon's network for good coverage where you're spending most of your time) and get a dedicated data card on a contract.

"Unlimited" is one of those words that wireless companies use without being too slavish to the dictionary definition. AT&T and VZW both have hard caps on their plans, and they'll get cranky if you regularly exceed it. T-Mobile now slows your data service when you exceed their soft cap. I think Sprint still is pretty lax about it, because they don't want to annoy those of us who haven't left their network yet.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I need a wifi modem with an RJ-45 cable to plug into my airport express - anyone knows a vendor that makes such an animal?
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:00 AM   #35
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Kevin's suggestion for using a smartphone as a "hotspot" is a good budget solution, but the shortcoming on CDMA (Verizon) is that you can't have simultaneous voice and data unless you're in one of their LTE markets, and I'm guessing Larimer isn't yet offering LTE data.

That means when you're on the computer, your spouse can't make a phone call, and your spouse's mom will get voicemail when she calls you. This over time can lead to friction. If you're a light voice user and heavy data user, the scenario you described might work well. Get a prepaid phone (make sure it's on Verizon's network for good coverage where you're spending most of your time) and get a dedicated data card on a contract.

"Unlimited" is one of those words that wireless companies use without being too slavish to the dictionary definition. AT&T and VZW both have hard caps on their plans, and they'll get cranky if you regularly exceed it. T-Mobile now slows your data service when you exceed their soft cap. I think Sprint still is pretty lax about it, because they don't want to annoy those of us who haven't left their network yet.

Thanks for the help. We're not actually looking for a budget solution so much as a reliable solution. And with five sons and families scattered from Cape Cod to Texas to Colorado, we do need to stay available for voice contact without compromising my wife's need for good, all day long, computer connection.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just found this old thread. Looking at Millenicom as mobile broadband provider. Is it correct to assume that with a Verizon cellular modem, coverage will be the same as Verizon's coverage map (for USA)?

Have you found 3G speeds to be slow compared to DSL? (Does anyone have upload and download speeds for Millenicom 3G?)

Also, are VOIP or other devices (e.g., Magic Cube) OK to use on Millenicom for phone service?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Just found this old thread. Looking at Millenicom as mobile broadband provider. Is it correct to assume that with a Verizon cellular modem, coverage will be the same as Verizon's coverage map (for USA)?

Have you found 3G speeds to be slow compared to DSL? (Does anyone have upload and download speeds for Millenicom 3G?)

Also, are VOIP or other devices (e.g., Magic Cube) OK to use on Millenicom for phone service?
Verizon coverage for broadband and cell phone are different. There are times when you can get phone but not broadband.

Overall, though, we have been very, ver happy all over the country with our Verizon broadband.

Maggie
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
i had/have greatt luck w/ cricket when in town. for 45 mo i mostly sit still or wi 100 miles
70s guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi,

I think I can answer your questions fairly well. I don't claim to be an expert but I have been using Verizon's "3G" "broadband" [EVDO Rev A] service for several years.

(I put "3G", "broadband", and "4G" in quotes because, as used in advertising, they are practically meaningless.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
With my old Verizon USB 720 wireless modem, you can get data coverage anywhere Verizon has voice coverage. What Verizon calls the "National Access" mode uses the same CDMA protocol as voice. (CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access)

What Verizon calls their "3G" broadband wireless service is EVDO, a software upgrade to existing CDMA cell sites. (EVDO = EVolution, Data Optimized, or some say EVolution, Data Only) My trusty USB 720 supports EVDO Rev A broadband, which at this point appears to be universally available. I have had EVDO Rev A coverage in the mountains of Arizona in sight of the Mexican border, the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, and everywhere in between.

The only reason I mention the old National Access is that newer Verizon devices may not support it. I have been at campgrounds where my old USB 720 modem was giving me EVDO Rev A access while my neighbors' Verizon smart phones were saying "No Data Service".

So with a Verizon modem I expect that you will have data coverage anywhere you have phone coverage, which is almost everywhere.

Quote:
EVDO speed depends heavily on the signal strength at your location and how busy the CDMA cell phone network is. When you have a strong signal and the network is not busy, EVDO is probably a little faster than economy grade DSL.

EVDO uses one of several different signalling schemes depending on signal strength. For maximum speed you have to have a strong signal (4 bars on my USB 720).

When the network is busy, like around rush hour, data rates can be v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. Or the network may just decide to disconnect you, which is annoying.

Quote:
I doubt Verizon "3G" is fast enough to support VOIP under anything less than ideal conditions.

I wouldn't want to give you the impression that I am unhappy with my Verizon 3G data service. I have the old unlimited data plan at $60 a month (no longer available) and I seldom use more than one Gigabyte per month. Verizon keeps trying to give me a "4G" modem in return for switching to a less expensive "4G" data plan good for 3 Gigabytes per month, but I keep turning them down because they have pretty well gotten the bugs out of the system I use and it works.

The reality is that Verizon will not have "4G" coverage practically anywhere that I travel for years, and I'm afraid that the "backward compatible to 3G" feature of the "4G" devices will not work as well on "3G" as the older devices built for it.

Your mileage may vary.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Nuvite-F
You are wise not to take the bait on Verizon's offer. I inadvertinally did so when my modem failed. The next month I was charged for going over my 5 gig allowance. The 4G hype is just that. We'll have to wait for 10G to get in remote camping areas. 4G is only going to be available in highly populated areas because of the high cost and number of towers needed for the service.
We have both Hughes Network which is satelite and 3G. If i could figure out an easy way to take my satelitte system with me , i would. By and large, its better than 3G any day of the week.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote