Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Ultimate '34 foot Buildout

If you had the opportunity to purchase a NEW SHELL (34 foot) and have it customized so that a family of three could full-time in comfort what would ask for?

I should add that the budget would be $160,00 to 190,00.

I know this has been done by another member, but I would just like to get some opinions.
Chikusho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Interesting thread.

Link to the other member's 34' thread?
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
If you had the opportunity to purchase a NEW SHELL (34 foot) and have it customized so that a family of three could full-time in comfort what would ask for?

I should add that the budget would be $160,00 to 190,00.

I know this has been done by another member, but I would just like to get some opinions.
I understand that they didn't tow very well, but my wife loves the 34' with the kitchen across the front. I'd just want a "real" queen sized bed and not the shortened queen that is used in RVs...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
With that kind of budget, one of the specs for me would be a true four-season TT.

I would go for extra durability, as well. Things like nyloboard floors and super high-grade appliances.

In fact, I have no problem with the floor-plans that AS has right now, but would want every aspect of the trailer to be state of the art and top-grade, beyond anything that now comes out of JC.

Noise abatement, security, ventilation, heating/cooling, waste treament, communications; these are all areas where the current 1960s-grade design mindset could be broken and brought up to what is possible today.

For example, isn't it silly that a $100,000 trailer has a subfloor that dissolves in water like an Alka-Seltzer tablet? I find that shocking.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
This is good. Things to consider.

"Noise abatement, security, ventilation, heating/cooling, waste treament, communications; these are all areas where the current 1960s-grade design mindset could be broken and brought up to what is possible today."

Queen lengthwise is definite.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
For my money there are certain things that would be a must, 1 would be a built in Honda genset that had enough power to not only run an air conditioner, but id like to be able to run a welder if need be. I would also want more storage compartments, and I would want drays on drawer sliders in the bottoms of the compartments to slide everything out to me where it was easily and readily accessible.

I know when I build my own air stream I have been studying the design, and I know how I am going to mount a generator and add a couple of compartments on the side of the trailer, and in one of those storage spaces I am going to get a good quality tool box with roller ball bearing slides and permanently mount it in the compartment so I always have access to my tools on board, and they are always organized. Having it in the compartment next to my gen set will be very convienent, and I am also making my MELC (main electrical load center) in this location as well to keep everything grouped together so I can keep it simple. I am also going to make the doors to these compartments open upwards and be suspended by gas shocks, this way should I find myself doing repairs in the rain I can have some shelter.

The next biggie for me would be good insulation, closed cell spray foam and id run all my electrical in light weight flexible plastic conduit (AKA Smurf tube) so as that for one the electrical would be protected, but for two it would be easy to replace or add circuits as necessary with out having to even remove the wall panels let alone cut into the insulation.

I would also want a self aligning satellite dish on the roof, and I woulr reinforce the roof where it is going to be mounted, again i would run smurf tube from the antenna J box to the entertainment center should the coax ever need to be repaired or replaced. I would also run my power wires separately from the coax.

Other things to consider adding, what about HAM or CB radio, or both? What about a booster antenna for your cell? How about a camera system for added security, having a camera that could watch your tow vehicle and front door all night while you are sleeping could be a great asset, and you can get dvr's that will run on 12 volts, the use them in police cars.

A security system would be a great advantage too, it would not be at all hard to take a auto alarm designed for a car and fit it to your trailer. If you were crafty you could probably even rig an auto unlock, heck you could probably make it lock and unlock all of your storage compartments as well so you didn't have to dig for keys.

Another great item to have would be a built in safe.

Also what about a gun cabinet?

Another great upgrade to think about would be air ride suspension

Also self leveling jacks.

I would also like to have the largest water tanks I could possibly fit, as well as a pumping system with a good strainer and filer capable of providing water from a stream so if you are out boon docking you can take a warm shower. And I would want to be able to separate this system from my normal fresh water system so as that you wouldn't have to worry about Ecoli in your dish water.

Dimable lighting would be another great feature, also led lighting in the floor around the cabinets would be really nice, especially at night if you were parked out somewhere with a great nighttime view, you could have the windows open and still be able to see to move around.

Also having plastic bins to put in your storage areas to make the most use of the space would be great. Expecially in the closet, I was thinking those Arco mills bins would be great for holding socks and underwear and so on,

That is all I can come up with at the moment, Might add more later
Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Well, here's my list:

LED lighting throughout
genset capable of running both air conditioners at the same time (propane) with access from the outside
separate compartment for hiking gear, etc.
outside storage under twins
separate toilet from the shower area
bamboo and/or cork flooring
frameless cabinets throughout
I've been thinking that twins would be better than a queen to maximize space, still on the fence
round dinette/living room area with a folding hidden dinette (dark brown leather)
double door refrigerator/freezer (Norcold)
sharp convection/microwave
3 burner stove
cabinets in birch
some kind of security system/hidden safe/lowjack
mixture of aluminum bare walls and birch covered
disk brakes
on demand hot water heater
water purification system
custom sized shower with vista view window
4 batteries/4 solar panels

All of this would be in a double door front bedroom 34.

How much is this going to run me! Probably a lot more than I can or should afford.

Anyone want to add to the list?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
3 more axles
8" frame
a semi to haul it ;-)
do you know what that other custom unit weighed?

i think you'd really find that hauling all that stuff would be more of a burden unless you're looking to live in a really isolated area. all those things will take a lot of room. even with a 34, it gets crowded with a family. open space would be more of a comfort to me. a slide out would be a must. forget bare wall anywhere you can lean on it. it is hot on summer and cold in winter. a double door is a great idea.

my preference would be to have an ultralght 34 with a support truck/van.

as aage stated, upgrade the products used.

how are you going to fuel all this? does anyone know how much fuel a gen set will use for 2 air conditioners? maybe lewster knows if you can put in an ammonia a/c system for 1 of the units.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
A washer/dryer combo unit (like a Splendide) would be handy to have full timing.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
A mid bath with bedroom in the rear so that the kids and parents have access in the middle of the night without walking past each other to get to the bathroom- if you send the little ones to bed early and want to be able to get ready for sleepy time yourself without waking them back up this would be a nice floorplan- plus would allow you to have that nice separate shower you were talking about. I would also want a dedicated area for the computer and charging station for cell phones and what not- we always empty that stuff out of the tow vehicle and it overtakes the counter or dinette and then has to be moved when ready to eat. If you have a pet- a special food area should be considered so your not always tripping over their bowls and I find that no Airstream has a good location for a trash can- I would use one of those pullout under the sink and dedicate a cabinet to that (keeps dog out of trash).
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
After you figure out everything you wish for, give us a call and we'll build it for you. hehe

David Winick
finest vintage and custom Airstream trailers
Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
I 'm not sure what it weighed. It's a 2008 31 custom classic. There are pictures of it on Timeless' website. I'll see if the owner knows how much it weighs.

I forgot to add the washer/dryer.

I'm also thinking that a mid bath separating the bunk bed from the twins/queen would be ideal.