Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Unhappy Twin Bed Conversion in International?

Does anyone know the truth about twin bed conversions in International units? Airstream does not put twins in International units.

My local dealer says you can't convert the 27 or 28 without cutting into the frame because the water tank is underneath. Meanwhile SuttonRV in Eugene OR is telling me that's not true, and they convert to twins all the time. Looking to know the truth about this... Anyone have any insight?

Also, do you know of any companies that will convert to twins for you? SuttonRV appears to be the only one I can find. Thanks! Wendy

This is my first post on this forum. I am a soon-to-be-fulltimer.
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dealer BULL Pucky!

If you look in the classifieds right here you'll find a 27 FB with twins - equiped that way from the FACTORY. http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...t=10566&cat=16

Dealers like to sell you what they have in stock - because they have it floor planned (they're paying a finance company interest for buying the unit). They dislike special orders because it's often a six to eight week wait to get one in. You can get a 25 FB, 27 FB and 28 with twins (anything smaller - just won't fit twins). Just stamp your little foot and insist - or better yet deal with George Sutton - one of the best dealers on the west coast. I note you're from Minnesota - so you might want to go to Airstream of Arkansas which is a BIT closer and also has a top notch reputation. Do you really want to do business with a dealer who is either (a) that ignorant or (b) lying to you from the first minute?

Oh and you can also get twins in the Flying Cloud and Classic trims too.
The simply aren't as popular as the queens - so normally they are a special order.

If you buy an Airstream you'll keep it for years - get a good deal but go with the best dealer and be done with it. You'll want to get periodic service done, so buying a unit where you know the service department KNOWS the Airstream line makes plain good sense.

Paula
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
_

. , .
just to echo paula, YES ordering is the way to go...

IF u know what u want and IF u can wait 4-6 weeks for a unit.

dealers OWN what's on their lots and wanna move that stuff.

buy what YOU WANT, not what they have.

email a/s tech support or customer service with your question.

the primary issue (as i understand it) is that there is an EXTERNAL hatch/door under some of the queens beds...

and that door needs to be dealt with in a conversion (it's not hard to do)

on units that START out with twins there are EXTERNAL hatch doors on each side under the beds...

the factory service center COULD also do the conversion, the cost is labor and materials...

it MIGHT be cheaper to ORDER a unit and start with twins,

and by contacting the factory u can find out IF they will do that on an international of your length...

i suspect ANY of the shops that do customizations could convert a unit to twins...

the price might be a SURPRISE however.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
To start with, wendywoods -- welcome to the forums!

The 27 & 28 are two very different Airstreams. The 28 is 27'11" long, has a front door and rear bed. The 27 is 28'0" long and, being an FB model, has a rear door and front bed. (Go figure, eh? )

Colonial Airstream in New Jersey has some of the better photo documentation of new models. The 28' International has a rear storage compartment under the head of the bed (nice). The HW heater is on roadside, below the L-Lounge just in front of the sink and directly under the front side window. I assume the Parallax converter is somewhere under the L-Lounge also.

The 27' International has a front storage compartment under the head of the bed (again, nice...). The HW heater is streetside below the bathroom cabinets or pantry. The Parallax converter probably is below the base of the front queen bed (shouldn't be an issue).

Figure that the black tank will be directly under the toilet (very different location in each of these two models!). The fresh water tank would be at the other end of the three probably.

Now... "our" local dealer has many diverse interests, of which Airstreams are a small part of what they sell. I've found that my research easily exceeds their knowledge base. There is no way that any water tank accessories or waste tank vents are anywhere above the floor for either the rear bed 28 or the front bed 27!

2airishuman has given good advice. The factory needs to be consulted about what they will do as a custom job. There will be a $500 change fee if they do this. Flooring needs a minor change. The Parallax reposition is virtually the same that they do for the 25' FB Queen vs. Twin.

Definitely see if you can get the roadside & curbside compartments under the twins -- my 25' FB twin has these 2nd & 3rd compartments. They are very handy! The compartment doors match the inter-rib distance, so no ribs need to be modified.

The 27 & 28 have extra length in the bed area of the trailer -- more length in that area than the 25' FB has. So you might fit in extra wardrobe space or a stack of drawers on each side or something.

If the factory wouldn't do this, I'd try some more experienced dealers. In order of increasing distances, I might check out Airstream of Arkansas, [ no - Roger Williams in Texas is no longer selling Airstreams ]. Maybe Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. Furthest away is Inland in Corona, CA. US Adventure RV in Davenport, IA, seems to have strived to maximize their in-shop offerings for Airstream owners -- I don't know if they have experience with this.

Let us know what you find out!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Great advice

Thank you for your replies! I am encouraged to think that I can go through the factory for the twin installation. Great advice on the storage areas, dealer issues, and parallax converters! I am so impressed by the detail and knowledge in your replies. Thank you! I will report back as soon as I talk to the factory.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The factory will refer you right back to a dealer but only the factory can give the definitive answer. You need a knowledgeable dealer sales person who will pursue this as far as they can -- trying to maneuver under the $500 change charge Airstream has in place. I seem to recall they don't want to build custom Airstreams nor provide empty shells. Some business-specific models (eg, the StoryCorps Airstream) are subject to unique business arrangements and aftermarket customization shops.

Part of the problem may be that Airstream's furniture department just is not set up to do the Flying Cloud twin arrangements with an International finish. They may not want to do this for a one-off. Purchasing parts (eg, compartment door frames) usually must be done through a dealer only.

Doing this yourself or hiring a skilled Airstream remodeler would always be an option. But most of the latter want to work with vintage; eg, Colin H, 62overlander, area63productions, or TimelessTravelTrailer.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Unhappy Airstream customer service

Update: This morning I tried twice to get through to Airstream customer service, but I can't seem to get anyone to answer the phone - it's just an endless loop of recorded messages telling me my call will be answered in the order it was received. Maybe I need to hold on longer than 10 minutes? There isn't another number I should be calling to ask about the twin bed issue is there?

Meanwhile called back RV Sutton and spoke to Tom in service, who said he has no photos of previous twin installations. That just struck me as odd. Tom reminded me several times that most people want retrofitting from Queen to King, not to twin. Not sure why he needed to tell me that, since it's not what we wanted. He said he could convert a unit, but I am hesitant to ask for a conversion without some proof that it will work and we won't be creating new problems for ourselves.

Will try Airstream again tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I called the Airstream tech number to ask a question and was surprised to get the same as you. I held on as long as I could and no human. I don't recall it used to be that way. I do hate those menus and no live service. It was nice when Amy or one of the girls would answer the phone and try to ring the service department and take a message if there was no answer and they would call back. I was disappointed. It may save them inconvenience but that extra level of service was part of being Airstream to me. It doesn't seem as approachable as it used to be. Now perhaps as other companies they hope you tire out. That hotline, aint so hot no more.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
_

. , .
which is WHY my post suggests to use EMAIL 2 contact them.

they WILL respond to email.

there will be a record of the exchange.

while u may be wildly excited about this first unit,

keep in mind they (a/s corp) sell to DEALERs not the end customer.

and they get a bazillion calls.

email.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
twin beds, queen