Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
_

. , .
well it looks like the pro/con northern border posts were deleted?

at least that keeps us more on point with this issue...

of how a young couple maintains or acquires health insurance while full timing on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec
...So what you're saying is that if you don't have health insurance in the first place and don't have a residence, you simply can't get insurance??? ...
well that's an understandable response, but isn't at all what i've suggested.

IF you already have insurance, you cannot be denied a policy from other vendors when u apply...

BUT the premium isn't guaranteed at the same rate.

IF you do not have coverage anywhere u can still apply and get accepted,

but again the premium might be high and some conditions might be excluded for a few years or permanently.

i'm not suggesting this is right or wrong, just how the current maze works...

the issues that determine 'residency or domicile' are often very different for tags, licenses, voting, n other quasi governmental issues...

than the residency issues are for qualifying for INSURANCE coverage.

so the local s.d. agent was just relaying the requirements for s.d. health insurance.

the other 'tax haven states' have insurance vendors with different residency requirements.

in addition to understanding the specific requirements to qualify by region/provider...

it's important to understand WHAT the insurance policy actually provides in terms of coverage, benefits and so on...

for example..."how much does procedure X or surgery Y or treatment Z cost you the person who has it?"

costs/charges vary based on region, the 'approved network' and YOUR PROVIDER/INSURANCE COVERAGE.

for example a colonoscopy (seems like a good example 4 this thread ) might have 'charges' around 5,000$, all total...

but your insurance company has a negotiated fee of 2,000$ total from your doctor/clinic/provider...

so even before you've been billed for the copay on this item, the billable price has already been discounted SIGNIFICANTLY...

many small insurance companies (like the self employed policy vendors)

DON'T have ANY discounted fee schedule for their policy holders...

the above example could be retold for 1000s of medical billing issues and is exactly why...

having NO COVERAGE at all or trying to 'self insure' without a big provider policy negotiating discounts...

is the most expensive approach to medical coverage.

cheers
2air

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec
...in fact, we may be out of the country for months at a time -- and so I'm just left hanging?...
world travel can be expensive IF you expect to have ALL of the comforts and coverage of domestic life...

most major medical policies include some coverage while traveling world wide.

sometimes injuries that result from military events, or terrorist acts or ailments acquired while committing a crime...

aren't covered.

there companies that SPECIALIZE in health insurance during international travel, and you need to explore those options.

and that would be a whole new thread!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote