Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member
1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Here is a disturbing article I just read:

I always thought that Baja was pretty safe.
Here is a surfer forum on the incident above. Interesting reading.

SurferMag Message Boards: I'll Never Go to Baja Again

dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #58
La Vaga
1986 25' Sovereign
Salem , Oregon: The Wet Northwest
You know, people are robbed, raped, hurt and killed here in the US every day. I lived in Mexico for several years and felt I was safer down there than many parts of the US.

Terry B
La Vaga

losvagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #59

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
But not, generally, by cops with cars, blue lights and badges.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #60
La Vaga
1986 25' Sovereign
Salem , Oregon: The Wet Northwest
This is long, but it's a subject I actually know something about . I lived in Mexico for the better part of four years. I put in over 50,000 miles on my vehicle, lived in two different towns and worked 'on the economy' (not for dollars!) to support my stay there.

>>But not, generally, by cops with cars, blue lights and badges.<<

We'd like to think not, but on tonight's news was some shocking footage of Portland, OR cops engaging in unprovoked beatings in the booking room - recorded on their own cameras! Oops!

I had occasion once to call the Mexican police for help when I lived down there and found them to be skilled, efficient and honest - and really motivated to help me out with. I called them for help removing a besotted and drunken intruder. They were honestly mortified that one of their countrymen was causing me such trouble. No one asked for anything; but I gave my Mag lite to the guy who admired it.

And, yes, I did buy my way out of two traffic infractions over time. ...If you're going to be successful in another culture you have to understand their ways and function within them.

I drove, (female, alone) to and from the central-west coastal region ten round trips from MN and OR - and never had a problem worse than the classic gas rip off described on the first page of the thread. Of course, I wasn't about to put with that! I pulled out the owner's manual to my truck, showed the kid that it didn't HOLD that much gas, and told the him to go to hell. I refused to pay for any of it, and told him if he didn't like it he should call his boss...

Here're my thoughts about much of the bad stuff one hears about Mexico:

1) I think many reports of problems in Mexico are sensationalized and reported throughout the US and Canada in a fashion they don't deserve - and certainly a fashion that home-grown horrors don't get. It seems as the when one bandito holds up one North American on a highway somewhere it ends up in newspapers throughout the US and Canada, and spreads through the internet like wildfire.

Meanwhile, meth is rampant where I live, and the crime is going through the ceiling. I doubt it makes the news in the Midwest or Atlantic states.

When I looked at the actual crime rates in comparably-sized cities (to placate my Mom, LOL) I found that the per-capita crime rate in the US was much higher. * (see * below)

In my own living experience, I had a period of adjustment each time I crossed the border -> Going south I had to relax and get my shoulders down off my ears! Going North again, I always felt a bit afraid of crime and locked my doors and windows until I got back in 'North American' mode.

2) If you go to another country, full of intensely proud people, and walk around looking suspicious and afraid, clutching your belongings and refusing to eat anything - you just MIGHT give a bad impression, and possibly even bring negative things on your self.

I love Mexico. Theirs is a gentle, joyful culture - if one can open one's mind to it. I walked around with a huge smile on my face, tickled children, ate food and beverages - within the bounds of common sense - struggled with Spanish until I could honor them by speaking to them in their own language, learned about them, their lives, history and culture, thanked them for having me, and made true friends. And I found a true home of my heart.

RE: food, I had an intestinal adjustment period in each direction. For the most part, it's not that the bacteria are worse, it's that they're *different*. Mexicans often get sick when the first arrive here. My doc said just eat the food, get sick, get used to it. She was right. Just watch out for the Mennonite's delicious cheese, often sold on street corners by German looking guys in white shirts, overalls and straw hats. It's the best cheese for quesadillas, but only use it for melting. The only time I got sick was from unpasturized Mennonite cheese!!

I would urge anyone to consider a trip to Mexico. Check out for a pair of DVDs that this couple made of their Mexico journeys in a motor home.

Terry B/Salem

*I also found that their public schools are 1 to 2 years ahead of ours in math and sciences. Americans that I knew with children in Mexican schools had to hold their kids back a year and/or get math and science tutoring to catch up.

Wanna know something else? At the time I was there, their child mortality rate was LOWER than the US. That's a truly embarrassing statistic!

They have free Social Security Medical clinics in nearly every little village - and your travel visa allows you to use them too. They may not be pretty, but the quality of care is good. Heck, I know several excellent American doctors that went to med. school in MX!
losvagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member
2001 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Camarillo , California
travel in mexico

we have had the opportunity to travel by car to san carlos in the state of sonora a couple times in the past few years. the people are warm, gracious and hospitable. at no time did we feel ill at ease. while the language barrier is sometimes awkward, that can be the case at home as well. san carlos also has a great campground north of the city.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #62
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to smccollister
"Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches"

I ran across this article yesterday and thought it might be relevant to this thread.

I am posting this not to suggest that Mexico is or is not safe - but to the point of doing your research before hand...

Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member
I just got back from Mexico and no problimos.
I crossed at Brownsville the 20th took about 30 min to get my car and trailer papers.
Drove to Cd Valles San Louis Potosi El Banito Trail Park and had A good time.
The West Coast has always had A few stupid Gringos over there who do not camp in A campground.
I would say eveything is fine in Mexico gas was about 7 pesos A liter and 11 pesos to A dollar.
Just remember if someone pulls A light on you dont stop unless it is A black and white.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member
El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I think this this thread is going nowhere, and there is clearly no winners to either side ( side one; the people who have traveled and lived in Mexico and have liked it, and, side two; the people who have never gone there and are afraid to go there because of all the negative reports and don't want other people to go there ) Nobody gets the trophy and this thread is becoming very annoying.
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #65
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Recent news: Fear on Mexican beaches near San Diego - Yahoo! News
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #66
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Dune Buggy trips to Mexico

My wife and I made many Dune Buggy trips to Mexico, both Baja and the mainland. Had some really fun times. We usually traveled by ourselves. We never took any jewelry. Took fairly old stuff to wear. The buggy was in very good mechanical condition, but not pretty, on purpose. Always bought Mexican auto insurance. It's the law! Have had to use that insurance on two occasions, no problem either time. You must follow THEIR rules.

Our rule...Don't take anything you wouldn't walk away from......
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member
El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem

Crime in America
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have been going down to Mexico for more than 40 years now and never had a problem. Actually had more minor problems in Canada. ( Maybe that's why there are so many Canadian RV'ers in Mexico? ) Just have to laugh every time this subject comes up, specially the negative comments from people who never were there .
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #69
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Interesting thread! Started in 2006, now with lots of news items, personal anecdotes, attitudes, beliefs, opinions, etc. from '07 and '08. All of which may be helpful to anyone contemplating taking their Airstream down into Mexico, with the possible exception of an article ("crime in America") dealing with crime statistics from a different country (USA), in a different century (1993). I think the more relevant advice pertains to following the laws and customs of Mexico, having an empathetic interest and respect for the people, language, and culture of that country, and using common sense when visiting a country much poorer than our own. Buen viaje, buena suerte, y disfrute!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Poway , California
I can't make any blanket judgements good or bad about any "people" of any nationality. I live in a predominant Hispanic neighborhood, and no, they're not all legal, but there are other nationalities here too and I have to say that our city has it's share of crime with practically every race here.
Also, you have to remember that on the US side of the border, border towns aren't necessarily safe either. There is a lot of violence going on right now with the politics of the moment. As another poster mentioned a Ranger was killed (although I'm not sure that was at Organ Pipe). It does happen from time to time.
I've been to Mexico many times, although it's been years since my last visit, and I've never had any trouble whatsoever. My parents-in-law go to Baja every year and my Aunt goes to Rocky Point every year. Like other posters have mentioned is that border towns are more rich with crime than other places, and tourist hotspots will also be hotspots for crime (but just think of the US tourist towns). Use your common sense and don't hook up to the local water sources unless you want Montezuma's Revenge.
The food is out of this world! One of the things I've picked up in my cooking skills living here in Tucson and having many Hispanic friends and experiences - I can cook it anywhere I go!

-Giovanna Mealer
PeaceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote