Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
travel in mexico

we have had the opportunity to travel by car to san carlos in the state of sonora a couple times in the past few years. the people are warm, gracious and hospitable. at no time did we feel ill at ease. while the language barrier is sometimes awkward, that can be the case at home as well. san carlos also has a great campground north of the city.
loft47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #62
Cloud10

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fox Island , Washington
"Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches"

I ran across this article yesterday and thought it might be relevant to this thread.

I am posting this not to suggest that Mexico is or is not safe - but to the point of doing your research before hand...

Tourists shun crime-hit Mexico beaches
smccollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #63
1 Rivet Member

I just got back from Mexico and no problimos.
I crossed at Brownsville the 20th took about 30 min to get my car and trailer papers.
Drove to Cd Valles San Louis Potosi El Banito Trail Park and had A good time.
The West Coast has always had A few stupid Gringos over there who do not camp in A campground.
I would say eveything is fine in Mexico gas was about 7 pesos A liter and 11 pesos to A dollar.
Just remember if someone pulls A light on you dont stop unless it is A black and white.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
I think this this thread is going nowhere, and there is clearly no winners to either side ( side one; the people who have traveled and lived in Mexico and have liked it, and, side two; the people who have never gone there and are afraid to go there because of all the negative reports and don't want other people to go there ) Nobody gets the trophy and this thread is becoming very annoying.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Recent news: Fear on Mexican beaches near San Diego - Yahoo! News
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Dune Buggy trips to Mexico

My wife and I made many Dune Buggy trips to Mexico, both Baja and the mainland. Had some really fun times. We usually traveled by ourselves. We never took any jewelry. Took fairly old stuff to wear. The buggy was in very good mechanical condition, but not pretty, on purpose. Always bought Mexican auto insurance. It's the law! Have had to use that insurance on two occasions, no problem either time. You must follow THEIR rules.

Our rule...Don't take anything you wouldn't walk away from......
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem

Crime in America
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have been going down to Mexico for more than 40 years now and never had a problem. Actually had more minor problems in Canada. ( Maybe that's why there are so many Canadian RV'ers in Mexico? ) Just have to laugh every time this subject comes up, specially the negative comments from people who never were there .
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Interesting thread! Started in 2006, now with lots of news items, personal anecdotes, attitudes, beliefs, opinions, etc. from '07 and '08. All of which may be helpful to anyone contemplating taking their Airstream down into Mexico, with the possible exception of an article ("crime in America") dealing with crime statistics from a different country (USA), in a different century (1993). I think the more relevant advice pertains to following the laws and customs of Mexico, having an empathetic interest and respect for the people, language, and culture of that country, and using common sense when visiting a country much poorer than our own. Buen viaje, buena suerte, y disfrute!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #70
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Poway , California
I can't make any blanket judgements good or bad about any "people" of any nationality. I live in a predominant Hispanic neighborhood, and no, they're not all legal, but there are other nationalities here too and I have to say that our city has it's share of crime with practically every race here.
Also, you have to remember that on the US side of the border, border towns aren't necessarily safe either. There is a lot of violence going on right now with the politics of the moment. As another poster mentioned a Ranger was killed (although I'm not sure that was at Organ Pipe). It does happen from time to time.
I've been to Mexico many times, although it's been years since my last visit, and I've never had any trouble whatsoever. My parents-in-law go to Baja every year and my Aunt goes to Rocky Point every year. Like other posters have mentioned is that border towns are more rich with crime than other places, and tourist hotspots will also be hotspots for crime (but just think of the US tourist towns). Use your common sense and don't hook up to the local water sources unless you want Montezuma's Revenge.
The food is out of this world! One of the things I've picked up in my cooking skills living here in Tucson and having many Hispanic friends and experiences - I can cook it anywhere I go!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We are not huge Mexican adventurers by any means, but we have been there a couple of time (sans AS)...and the only trouble we ever had in Mexicao was with Americans...you know, the ugly kind...the ones who look down their noses at anyone who is not an American...and those who think everyone should speak English.

Respect. That's the key.

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote