Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Travel size Wireless All-In-one Printer

So, we're spending as much or more time in our AS "Earthship" as we do in our Sticks & Bricks. Not to mention that our plan is to sell the house next spring. If all goes well we've already got a buyer.

Our All-In-One Epson printer crapped out a few days and we need a new one ASAP. The wife said, "Get one that is small enough to travel with us".

Any suggestions.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We run an Internet business out of our Airstream when on the road (we are half timers). we use the the print, copy, and scan functions on a daily basis. we went through several printers over the years.

Our most recent printers have been HP's in the 4500 and 5500 series. We find that these are very durable and small enough to fit in one of the overhead cabinets. They feed paper from the bottom which is necessary for cabinet use. They do a good job, are relatively inexpensive, and use the less expensive #61 ink cartridges.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Thanks, I'll check them out.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have always preferred Epson over HP, for the separate color cartridges. We found that print tasks which include a lot of one color (blue for instance for URLs etc.), will chew up the HP tri-color cartridges pretty quickly. Not sure what Epson makes in a small multi-function machine, but our current Epson printer has survived many construction site accidental droppings, all kinds of dust, and keeps on printing. Remarkable for a cheap basic unit, really, in retrospect.

Let us know what you find please, Re-Pete.

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- FYI other threads worth a check IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ad-144998.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ons-93834.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...er-111944.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...rs-147699.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
So, we're spending as much or more time in our AS "Earthship" as we do in our Sticks & Bricks. Not to mention that our plan is to sell the house next spring. If all goes well we've already got a buyer.

Our All-In-One Epson printer crapped out a few days and we need a new one ASAP. The wife said, "Get one that is small enough to travel with us".

Any suggestions.
I use an HP Envy 5530 that I can put in the front left overhead bin. I use a wired connection because I'm pretty sure wireless would go over the Verizon Jetpack and use up data. It can scan and copy too, scanning uses data to email, haven't tried scanning with the cable yet.

I have to put some wood blocks to lift it up for the front loading paper tray but it's not a problem. I have to run an extension cord along the wall to power it. Mostly I use the black only cartridge, using color only when necessary. Draft mode in black in does 90% of what I need.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
I have never been banned from a campground with my AS, when they ask me I just tell them 31' Airstream and they never ask the year !
Yes but do they want to inspect your All-In-One printer?
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
I'm interested in this too.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Travel Printer

I have an HP Officejet 150 All-in-One. It is incredibly compact - fits in one of the small narrow cupboards, uses regular HP cartdriges - inexpensive on eBay, is battery powered when needed and scans documents. It works on bluetooth or wireless with a laptop. It will print in high-quality and you can get a photo cartridge for it. I bought mine new on eBay and paid less than half retial for it. I had the older model before this and it worked well for over 3 years. A lot of business people use these in the field with a laptop so it's made for rugged use.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #9
Classy Roscoe

Ditto on HP 150 A-in-One

Ours fits in forward overhead bin with Blu-Ray and AT&T router, Fire unit and WD EZ2 Cloud unit. AC power is available there, but all thd gear is either 12 VDC or 9 VDC.

HP ENVY 150 has worked remarkably well and allows you to turn off color so you don't burn up ink.

Bluetooth talks directly to laptop and Iphones so printing is a breeze. Envelope printing is easy as well.

It is not a production printer. But for most needs has done well.

Good luck
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerrville View Post
. . .
HP ENVY 150 has worked remarkably well and allows you to turn off color so you don't burn up ink.
. . .
Good to know, thanks Jekkerville and CalifBob for the lead. And welcome to the forum! This looks like the current available model:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-OJ-150-Mob.../dp/B0076O2BRI

Unless I missed something, this model does not have a scan function?

Like this 5540 does?

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Wireless-P...ents=p_89%3AHP

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Thanks, everyone. Some good leads here. I will check them all out. Space is the main issue. Anything new we add means something else that's less useful gets left along the road somewhere. I'm trying to do a good job here so that something isn't me. I gotta say, I do like Epson for the individual color cartridges, but I'm going to be open minded and check every recommendation before I pull the trigger.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Pete. One correction to Post # 10 -- the HP 150 mobile unit does have a scan function, but the price of over $333 seems like one is paying a premium for the small size convenience? The ability to turn off the color would work for us (to spare the tri-color cartridge). Overall size might govern the decision -- TBD

Thanks again for this thread.

Peter

PS -- Data sheet for the HP 150:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....ile_CN550A.pdf

Dimensions in middle of right column -- pretty small!

WxDxH: 13.98 x 6.95 x 3.52 inches -- weighs 6.4 lbs.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Not what you asked, but I went with a small laser printer because with infrequent use I was concerned ink cartridges would dry out. I would like to have had an all in one but couldn't find one small enough to fit in one of our cabinets.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Good information!
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Yes but do they want to inspect your All-In-One printer?
SORRY ! I didn't realize my message would show up here, I was answering on a non AS site , but I found it funny that I got this reply so quickly when I have asked numerous AS related questions on this forum and received not one comment !
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #16
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
SORRY ! I didn't realize my message would show up here, I was answering on a non AS site , but I found it funny that I got this reply so quickly when I have asked numerous AS related questions on this forum and received not one comment !

Hey Bev, Looked for you in Whitehorse, YT this year but missed you. Are you going back to South Louisiana this winter? I understand Thibodaux and Houma are high and dry but, everything from Amit to Gonzales, and across the river all around New Iberia and Lafayette is flooded. That's gonna take a lot of work to clean up. I will head down to Ascension Parish once I get home and get thing there in order. Hope you are well and still traveling with that Attack Cat. I will be in Buccaneer State Park for the winter, on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Take care in you travels.

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Hp Officejet 150 Mobile All-In-One Fits the bill!

I’ll begin by saying this is just the printer I was hoping to find when I asked for help on this subject.

Thought I'd add this follow up for any who helped me or have followed this thread.
Thanks to the help I received on this thread and my own personal research I purchased the HP 150 from an Ebay vendor.

It's a refurbished unit so I paid less than half the price of a new one, $159 to be exact. I've received and tested it and it seems to work perfectly. The HP150 software (which I had to download from HP) was not designed for windows 10, but seems to work relatively well. I struggled a bit to get the Bluetooth connection working, but I did and it works well. I believe Bluetooth can only support printing however. Any scanning needs to be done with the USB tether (included) connected between printer and computer.

Pros:

1. It's very compact, and like one contributor said it will fit in an overhead cabinet, which is just what we wanted for travel.
  2. They seem to be fairly ubiquitous, so if you’re like me and hate paying for new, you’ll find many available on Ebay.
  3. It also has its own battery so it can be used when AC power is not available. I love this feature. (I'm not sure how long the battery lasts and the battery is not new and did not come with a guarantee. It seems to work fine at this point.)
  4. You can print with just black ink if desired, thus saving the color ink or not using it altogether.
  5. It appears after perusing the user Guide that the print heads and such are user replaceable. Clogged Print heads are what killed my Epson only the print heads on my Epson are a different story.
  6. I didn’t pay a fortune for it so even if I only get a couple of years out it I’ll feel like I did okay.
Cons: These are minor, but good to know for some folks.
  1. User Guides and Start Guides must be downloaded from HP.
  2. Wireless connectivity is by Bluetooth only. So, even if you have wifi you'll have to have Bluetooth capability to go wireless with this printer. (Confession: Even though I've enabled a connect with my Samsung GS5 smartphone I have not yet figured out how to get it to use the HP150 to print.)
  3. Tri-Color ink cartridge. I'm not a fan of the tri-color ink cartridge which HP seems to prefer, but I can concede that for this compact printer it probably makes sense and I can print with just black ink in draft mode and economize that way.
  4. My biggest disappointment learning while reading the user Guide that it will only scan paper. So, I can’t scan pre-digital photos with this scanner, but I can live with that.
Overall I'm very pleased with this printer. If you too are looking for a small compact printer, copier, scanner, you’ll want to check this one out. Data Sheet Link.

TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If the HP150 is like the HP Envy you just scan and then email it to yourself or anyone else you've set up. That takes data, however, and HP has a copy of your scan. I think regular printing takes data too, since it's wireless. At home I'm wireless but on the road I use the USB cable, it's faster anyway.

For your smartphone you need to download an app or two. HP ePrint and HP All-in-one Remote. I use both apps to print from my smartphone.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
I’ll begin by saying this is just the printer I was hoping to find when I asked for help on this subject.
. . .
Thanks for the follow-up report -- good to know!

Peter
Old 09-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If the HP150 is like the HP Envy you just scan and then email it to yourself or anyone else you've set up. That takes data, however, and HP has a copy of your scan. I think regular printing takes data too, since it's wireless. At home I'm wireless but on the road I use the USB cable, it's faster anyway.

For your smartphone you need to download an app or two. HP ePrint and HP All-in-one Remote. I use both apps to print from my smartphone.
Good advice, Thanks.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4