Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Savannah , Georgia
I live full time in a 1962 16ft Bambi...so I could go on and on and on about what I miss the most because I had to dwindle my possessions down to what could fit into one, small coat closet in a house/apartment. I miss my huge book collection. I had a whole wall of books in my house, now I have a small bookcase built into my 16ft'er where I have books cram-packed. I also miss my abundance of shoes and clothes. I had shoes in every color and style to go with my plethora of outfit combinations. I've only got the bare minimum now (which is probably still more than I should) haha.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
We've been fulltime for about two months now, and I have to say that (so far at least), adapting to the simpler and smaller living has been far easier than I thought it would be. I do also miss my huge collection of books. I can't part with a single book I've read, so they're all in storage now, and to eliminate the danger of hoarding books in the airstream, I've switched to a Kindle. Other than that, I'm not really missing any "things". I do really really miss a hot bath with bath salts on a cold night, though.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelstand View Post
Ouch... you mean I wouldn't be able to take my 150 books.....that just might make me cry...
I gave away several thousand books when we moved out of our styx and bricks this summer. But I did keep at least 150 that I did think I couldn't live without in storage. I love my kindle.

We have some family christmas stuff in storage.

Giving away/selling stuff was hard at first but after awhile it was very freeing. I felt lighter and lighter as time went by. We've been full-timing for just over one month now. Haven't missed anything yet.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:04 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Seattle , Washington
Best $118 ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by female.nomad View Post
I live full time in a 1962 16ft Bambi...so I could go on and on and on about what I miss the most because I had to dwindle my possessions down to what could fit into one, small coat closet in a house/apartment. I miss my huge book collection. I had a whole wall of books in my house, now I have a small bookcase built into my 16ft'er where I have books cram-packed. I also miss my abundance of shoes and clothes. I had shoes in every color and style to go with my plethora of outfit combinations. I've only got the bare minimum now (which is probably still more than I should) haha.
Ok I'm a recent convert.... K I N D L E. Great product for readers tight on space. BC.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
san diego , California
i keep my shoes in my truck bed [under cover], and actually have spaces in my 22' that aren't being used. i've always been a minimalist, so it was an easy transition. i still kept most of my dvds, cds and books, and for additional one: Local Library! :}
Old 09-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Gaffney , South Carolina
We did the "fulltime" for about 2 years while working a Contract job. Wife and three kids homeschooled. Biggest complaint? WiFi & Phone which were essential for job and homeschooling over the internet. Not sure Airstream meant for their equipment to be used every day for 2 years either. Splendide washer sprung a leak in the drum, how the heck did that happen other than it ran about every day for about 6 hours. Some of the campgrounds really didn't care for us living there (mostly kid-related stuff) for an extended time. One required us to move every 2 weeks even if it was one spot over.

But like some have said before, simplicity brought its own joys. After we bought a house, and it's been over a year ago, we still tend to sit together as a family in one room! And the kids still want to go camping.

One day perhaps, when the kids are grown up and on their own, the wife and I may hit the road again...
Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
I really dislike taking showers in a camper

I have however joined a local gym, and bribe myself to visit the gym by taking my shower after exercising
Old 09-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We had over a thousand books in our house. A very few are with us in the coach. The rest found new homes. Some went to our kids, some went to friends, some were sold, and some (not many) went to the burn pile because they really were worthless. That was probably the hardest part for two librarians.

We still have too much stuff with us, but now that we have a year of traveling full-time under our belts we have a better idea of what we can get rid of. We have some things "stored" with our kids. The idea is that if we ever return to a S&B we may want those things back. Until then, they have the use of part of their inheritance.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #37
dvb
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Harpster , Idaho
Yes, I concur on framed arts and prints...looking to acrylic framing.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Maybe my 56" BATV (big ass TV) and DVR. The only way to watch TV.

I can imagine my reading would pick up going full time so there is the Kindle and iBook apps. Can't see ever buying books ever again even living in brick and mortar; too heavy and take up too much space and once I read one I don't want to keep it to read again same with DVDs. I can rent several movies for the price of one DVD too.

Personal affects such as family mementoes will have to be stored either in a facility or a family members house until we are ready to settle down. Everything else that I can't put in the Airstream or truck is outta here.

Kelvin
Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #39
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Watched Downton Abbey last night (new season, Woot!) on our 19" tv, connected through really nice sound in our camper. Said to Debbie, when we build a house, I hope our sound is this good. There are so many things about living in the Airstream I'm gonna miss. Oh wait! backwards.

What do we miss from the 3K sf house with another attic over the detached 640sf garage? A truly comfortable chair. Workshop space. Space to entertain family, friends. Access to all those really great books collected over a lifetime. Big two-person shower (Emigrant Springs State Park near Pendleton OR has family showers, btw.)

That doesn't seem like a whole lot to miss, really. We stored some of the books, our backpacking gear (we go back and borrow it occasionally,) photo albums. It's fun to visit our stuff every now and then, and leave without taking more. Someday we'll unpack it all. We may find out what we didn't need to store at all.

I most look forward to having a well-organized work bench, a great ham radio setup, and a couple of very comfortable places to sit while reading.

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Our 22' has a work desk in the rear with the head for the Yaesu 857 and the speaker mounted in the corner. Yaesu main unit and power distribution mounted in wardrobe forward. Antenna feed-thrus terminate in fridge compartment top door area.

You can take the shack with you. A few portable wire antennas, a 2 meter whip mounted to the solar panel bracket, and an AT-120a on a lift and lay mount on the roof for fast deploy. APRS via a TT-4 built into the forward end of the overhead cabinet on street side.

Hardest part was fishing cables from desk under wet bath and kitchen cabinets.

You can have your shack with you with a bit of cussing and wire running....

KE4GNK, KE4RNU

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #41
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
For me it was my toys.

I miss my adventure rig, my Corvette and my G8 GXP.