Old 03-14-2019, 02:15 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I have had BakFlip's on my last 2 trucks. My current version is an MX4. I like the (nominal) security and the ability to use as a truck when I need to. Recommended and no association.

https://bakflip.com/p/bakflip-mx4-tonneau-cover/

fubar201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
This subject seemed very familiar (and recent) and I planned to point the OP toward a thread of the same subject... only to find the OP created the other thread too. Perhaps asking the same or similar question will result in better, more useful information.

Here's a link to the other thread for anyone interested:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...es-191494.html

So far so good this time. I value ideas from anyone, as long as theyíre good ideas. In the old thread I named TV and full time. We sold our home last summer and are now apartment dwellers for maybe 2 years max. Just bought my future home Tuesday and gathering info on the what and why in bed covers/caps for that expressed purpose. So appreciate any good ideas anyone has. Thanks, JT

Jtholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tacoma came with a one piece hard tonneau cover. Prior had a cab high topper. Hate the access issues and lack of height and space under the tonneau.
Next truck, probably a Tundra, will have a cab-high topper. Besides it flat looks better, imho.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrentr View Post
[ATTACH]335688
Ready to roll. Z series ARE and a bedslide 1500CG. Boondocking next week so the generator and solar panel and lots of water loaded up

How much clearance between bedslide and top of liftgate opening?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
We’ve had both. Cab-high topper offers a lot more flexibility for us. It mostly depends on how you plan to use the truck. And I really like the “grandpa’s truck” look — at least it gets a lot of compliments!

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
Weíve had both. Cab-high topper offers a lot more flexibility for us. It mostly depends on how you plan to use the truck. And I really like the ďgrandpaís truckĒ look ó at least it gets a lot of compliments!

I hear ya. Iíve been a P-paw for 17 years in May, and proud of it.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If I can piggy back on the OPís question - now that Iíve swapped from a hard tonneau to a leer topper - Iíve noticed there is a gap that lets daylight though on both vertical sides of the tailgate. I never noticed this before as the tonneau cover hid the tailgate from view. I never had water intrusion with the tonneau nor did I get dirt swirling inside the bed because of those gaps. But having seen them through the rear view mirror - Iím wondering if I should expect water or dust intrusion with the topper? Whatís your experience?

Thanks!
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I just installed a Raider cab height cap on my truck and installed the tail gate weatherstrip as well. Can still see 2 small spots that let in light will try to modify and close up these spots. I have had an Undercover hard tonneau and a soft roll up one in the past, but I think that the cap will work better for us when on the road for longer periods. I also installed a Traxion tail gate ladder to make it easier to get into the box. Down the road I will look at the roll out bed.. The Traxion ladder works great and is easy to remove if not needed. Should have had this 5 years ago!!
WBCCI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Greenfield , Indiana
I was considering a cap for my F250 however it'd be to tall to shoehorn in my garage. As it is there is about 3/4 in clearance from the rear of my crew cab and the garage door frame. The rubber strip rubs against the very back of the cab. A cap would not clear. Might be something to consider if you park in a garage...just sayin'
Hyo Slvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Little rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtholland View Post
How much clearance between bedslide and top of liftgate opening?

About 34 inches to clear the hinges. To load the bikes I have to remove front wheels and drop handlebar stems. The bedslide takes up almost 5 inches of height but the convenience of not having to climb up in that 8 foot bed negates any loss of cubic feet for me
Dtrentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McCalla , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrentr View Post
About 34 inches to clear the hinges. To load the bikes I have to remove front wheels and drop handlebar stems. The bedslide takes up almost 5 inches of height but the convenience of not having to climb up in that 8 foot bed negates any loss of cubic feet for me

Looks like a good system.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we finally make the switch from MH and towed to pickup and Airstream we'll have a full cap over the bed. We're full-timers and do some construction work for our church, so we have to have our own tools. Yes, there will be a "drawer" in the truck to access the things farther toward the front. I suspect that the actual arrangement of where things are in the bed will vary depending on whether we're traveling or working.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #27
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have a Leer topper on our Tundra, and find it super handy for storing all kinds of gear. The truck has a rear camera for backing. We often go camping with our canoe, and the straight roof line of the topper + cab is an advantage for mounting the roof rack.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Missoula , Montana
I like the diamond back hard tonneau cover. Also have a bed rug, this is a good combo for me and my needs. The diamond back supports a lot of weight on top and it is easy to flip one side or the other open. Easy to remove as well. Definetly worth considering.

Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote