Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Tolls/ezpass transponders while traveling?

Hi:

There's no category for 'tolls while on the road' that I could see. And I'm now researching that bit for my upcoming trip.

What do you do for a toll pass if you live in, say South Dakota, but you travel EVERYWHERE else---East, West, Central, South....etc?

Advice needed and appreciated. I've spoken with NY Ezpass which covers only 14 states and I spoke with IPass from IL, and they cover only 14 states (pretty much the same ones as Ezpass).

Thanks everyone.
Kira
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is an evolving coordination between states. One just has to try and keep up with integration efforts. Otherwise, one just has to pay at the window.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I-PASS and E-ZPass

I-PASS and E-ZPass can be used interchangeably and are accepted in 15 states by 26 toll agencies. Rates and discounts are set by individual facilities. Please visit their websites through the E-ZPass facilities page for specific information.

Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority
Burlington County Bridge Commission
Delaware Department of Transportation
Delaware River and Bay Authority
Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
Delaware River Port Authority
Illinois Tollway
Indiana Toll Road Concession Company, LLC
Massachusetts Department of Transportation
Maryland Transportation Authority
Maine Turnpike Authority
Metropolitan Transportation Authority Bridges and Tunnels
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
New Jersey Turnpike Authority
New York State Bridges Authority
New York State Thruway Authority
Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
North Carolina Turnpike Authority
Ohio Turnpike Commission
Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission
Port Authority of New York & New Jersey
Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority
Skyway Concession Company
South Jersey Transportation Authority
Virginia Department of Transportation
West Virginia Parkway Authority

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have an ezpass and they work at the same locations as the ipass, and I have been able to use it everywhere in the eastern U.S. There is a good article on EZPass on Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also, this answers a question from a prior thread:

"If you have an I-PASS and are driving a motorcycle or pulling a trailer, you may use the open road tolling lanes. The correct toll will be automatically calculated and deducted from your account."

Old 07-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Man, there are a lot of toll roads back east. Thanks for the list so I can avoid them.

Kelvin
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Man, there are a lot of toll roads back east. Thanks for the list so I can avoid them.

Kelvin
Good luck with that!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We have an IPass and a SunPass for Florida and I think one other state. We were told (don't quote me) that in the near future all of the states need to coordinate or reciprocate their individual passes. I won't hold my breath.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
No toll passes of any kind, thankfully tolls are rare in the parts of the country I usually travel. When I do come across one I stop and pay cash. Cussing ( to myself) the whole time.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
From EZPass user

Been using EZPass for a number of years. It saves time and $.
For example If I travel Ohio Tpk for whole distancs I save $8.50 in my "Class 2" motorhome In Indiana I save $5.55

Different states have different policies and IPass is basically the same as EZ except the name so will simply say EZ.

- There are many times when the EZ doesn't even require you to slow below 55 while everyone else has to exit and get in line. Also I find the EZ lane both on and off turnpike has no line or shorter line as no one in your line is stopping and fumbling for change only slowing to maybe 5 or 10 mph.

- Many times the EZ rate is lower than the cash rate (sometimes its the same)

- I have seen some exits that are closed late at night unless you have EZ as there is no toll taker working that exit.

- Exact change is required at some exits but that is never a problem with EZ

Now there is one significant difference between the programs as offered by various states and these differences seem to be changing so you do need to do a little research.

Some states have a fee for the transponder. Others have an annual fee for the transponder. After shopping around I found that Massachusetts only requires you keep $20 credit in your account which would be refunded if/when you cancel your "membership" so really no fee at all.

When you register you provide a credit card that they use to keep your account topped up. Even having toll charges greater than $20 in a single day has never been a problem as they do the "top up" at night so theoretically I have exceeded the $20 in my account but still could use the "charge" feature as the system allowed me to keep using the transponder.

Other states may have similar "no fee" but once I found Mass I went with them even though I live in Ohio.

Now you need to remember you are registering a vehicle system. By this I mean you can't move the transponder from your car to your motorhome or to the truck pulling the trailer.

HERE is the link to the Mass program page

This is what Mass says about trailers
"Can I use the transponder I received for my car to tow a trailer?
You may use the transponder from your passenger vehicle to tow a trailer providing that you list the trailer plate number on your account. E-ZPass MA lanes will automatically count the number of axles and charge your account accordingly. Outside of Massachusetts, you will need to go through a multi-mode lane (one that accepts both cash and E-ZPass) in order for the toll attendant to reclassify your tag for that toll transaction. You may also request a second transponder programmed for the total number of axles for towing a trailer. Remember to keep one of the transponders in a foil pouch to prevent both from reading when you have both of the transponders with you.?

Also see FAQ#24 re Motorhomes

There is a drop down list for vehicle type with options such as

Car-Normal service, Motorhome and Trailer.

You can call Customer service to get clarification if you expect to always use the car and trailer situation.

So if you are always towing then you can get one transponder

I don't have any involvement with the EZ system other than I am a user.

Do your research.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
We have an IPass and a SunPass for Florida and I think one other state. We were told (don't quote me) that in the near future all of the states need to coordinate or reciprocate their individual passes. I won't hold my breath.
You are correct uncle sugar has mandated (with no funding)that all state toll passes should be interoperable. Florida has been promising it for about two years now. So we will see. We have a PA I-Pass for the 14 northern states and a Sun pass for florida they work great and you get a discount in many states. With that said the toll roads are pricey when traveling with your trailer. We aviod them when pratical. Also some of the toll bridges in the northeast will reach deep into your pocket but most only collect in one direction. So with a little reasearch and a little extra time you can save a bunch of $$.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
There are differences, as Tireman says. For I-pass:
1)no fee. You do put down a $10 refundable deposit for the transponder
2)I keep $40 as the replenish amount, as I use it a lot for business travel.
3)One can keep MULTIPLE vehicles on the easily updatable website for one transponder.
4)If the transponder is left in vehicle A and you are driving vehicle B, they simply snap a photo, cross it with your account registered vehicle(s) plates and charge your account with no penalty.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
FYI. In PA if one has a truck (car) and trailer one needs a transponder that is designate as such. Instead of the white ones the RV unit is blue and there is a different code for the number of axles one has in total. The only enforcement is done by the State Police and if caught using the incorrect transponder the fines can be up to $1,000.00. I called Harrisburg on this, called EZ Pass on this and talked to my neighbor who is an LT in the State Police. Each state is different.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have always had two Florida Sun Passes, one for each tow vehicle. We use them quite often in our travels around Florida. Sun Pass has recently interfaced with toll roads in North Carolina. We are hoping to see that expanded to other states in the near future. We try to avoid tolls when possible, but have found that sometimes it costs more to avoid the tolls than pay them. What we like about the electronic toll systems is that you don't have to wait in line to pay them money.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
FYI. In PA if one has a truck (car) and trailer one needs a transponder that is designate as such. Instead of the white ones the RV unit is blue and there is a different code for the number of axles one has in total. The only enforcement is done by the State Police and if caught using the incorrect transponder the fines can be up to $1,000.00. I called Harrisburg on this, called EZ Pass on this and talked to my neighbor who is an LT in the State Police. Each state is different.
Interesting is this a recent change? When we got our PA transponder a few years ago we emailed them and were told no issues it would automatically pick up if we had a trailer. So far it has done so but we have not used it in PA for over 2 years. Thanks

Benn
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
I use Sun Pass in Florida, works great and bypasses the lines.

On another note, would like to find the easiest, fastest way to bypass the Florida turnpike from Fort Lauderdale to Ocala. Its getting kind of expensive ( 35.70 each way ) with the trailer.

J
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The bigger problem that sometimes there is no longer a person or a window. If you get caught in this scenario, they will send a "toll-by-plate" invoice to the address listed on your vehicle registration.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel the Peninsular extensively, and try to avoid the Turnpike when feasible. Coming from South Florida traveling to Ocala, there are two reasonable alternatives to the Turnpike.

1. Take I-95 all the way up to SR 40 at Ormond Beach, and go west on SR 40 over to Ocala. Sr 40 is a nice drive through the Ocala National Forest.

2. Hit US 27 at Andytown and take it all the way to Ocala. This route goes through a lot of towns, but is an interesting drive.

Both of these routes are a slower trip, but a lot more interesting than the Turnpike if you have the time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
This is what Mass says about trailers
"Can I use the transponder I received for my car to tow a trailer?
You may use the transponder from your passenger vehicle to tow a trailer providing that you list the trailer plate number on your account. E-ZPass MA lanes will automatically count the number of axles and charge your account accordingly. Outside of Massachusetts, you will need to go through a multi-mode lane (one that accepts both cash and E-ZPass) in order for the toll attendant to reclassify your tag for that toll transaction. You may also request a second transponder programmed for the total number of axles for towing a trailer. Remember to keep one of the transponders in a foil pouch to prevent both from reading when you have both of the transponders with you.?
I was wondering about this, as nothing is mentioned in the printed instructions that they give you with the transponders.
I only recently signed up for ez-pass, because I so rarely drive on any of the toll roads around here, it isn't worth the trouble. BUT, they recently made one bridge into Boston an 'ez-pass only" road. they took out the toll-booths entirely, so if you don't have a transponder, they mail you a bill (after taking a pic of your plate as you go through), and it costs more.
So I finally got around to getting the transponders.
Odd that MA can figure out if you're hauling your trailer, but the other states can't(?) aren't they all using the same hardware?
That last thing about having 2 separate transponders doesn't sound at all practical, since these things are made to be permanently glued to the windshield. They should just give you a transponder for the trailer only (rather than "trailer + TV) that you can take out of the glove box when you're hauling.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
I have 2 EZ passes for my TV. One for traveling in just the vehicle (white) and one for the vehicle plus my Bambi (blue). In NY, you CAN use the white one while towing, but you can't use a dedicated EZ pass lane; the toll-taker has to add the extra axle(s).

The blue one is pre-set to the total number of axles (TV + trailer), and with it I can use a dedicated EZ pass lane. Saves a lot of time; just slow down to 5 MPH, and you're through the barrier with a green light. If the EZ pass lane is at the END of the toll lanes (furthest away from the toll takers building), you only need to slow down to 20 MPH. I wish NY had full-speed EZ pass lanes like I've seen in NJ and other places.

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2017 Silverado LT Z71 Double Cab 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote