Old 07-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
FYI. In PA if one has a truck (car) and trailer one needs a transponder that is designate as such. Instead of the white ones the RV unit is blue and there is a different code for the number of axles one has in total. The only enforcement is done by the State Police and if caught using the incorrect transponder the fines can be up to $1,000.00. I called Harrisburg on this, called EZ Pass on this and talked to my neighbor who is an LT in the State Police. Each state is different.
Interesting is this a recent change? When we got our PA transponder a few years ago we emailed them and were told no issues it would automatically pick up if we had a trailer. So far it has done so but we have not used it in PA for over 2 years. Thanks

Benn

Old 07-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
I use Sun Pass in Florida, works great and bypasses the lines.

On another note, would like to find the easiest, fastest way to bypass the Florida turnpike from Fort Lauderdale to Ocala. Its getting kind of expensive ( 35.70 each way ) with the trailer.

J

Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The bigger problem that sometimes there is no longer a person or a window. If you get caught in this scenario, they will send a "toll-by-plate" invoice to the address listed on your vehicle registration.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #18

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel the Peninsular extensively, and try to avoid the Turnpike when feasible. Coming from South Florida traveling to Ocala, there are two reasonable alternatives to the Turnpike.

1. Take I-95 all the way up to SR 40 at Ormond Beach, and go west on SR 40 over to Ocala. Sr 40 is a nice drive through the Ocala National Forest.

2. Hit US 27 at Andytown and take it all the way to Ocala. This route goes through a lot of towns, but is an interesting drive.

Both of these routes are a slower trip, but a lot more interesting than the Turnpike if you have the time.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
This is what Mass says about trailers
"Can I use the transponder I received for my car to tow a trailer?
You may use the transponder from your passenger vehicle to tow a trailer providing that you list the trailer plate number on your account. E-ZPass MA lanes will automatically count the number of axles and charge your account accordingly. Outside of Massachusetts, you will need to go through a multi-mode lane (one that accepts both cash and E-ZPass) in order for the toll attendant to reclassify your tag for that toll transaction. You may also request a second transponder programmed for the total number of axles for towing a trailer. Remember to keep one of the transponders in a foil pouch to prevent both from reading when you have both of the transponders with you.?
I was wondering about this, as nothing is mentioned in the printed instructions that they give you with the transponders.
I only recently signed up for ez-pass, because I so rarely drive on any of the toll roads around here, it isn't worth the trouble. BUT, they recently made one bridge into Boston an 'ez-pass only" road. they took out the toll-booths entirely, so if you don't have a transponder, they mail you a bill (after taking a pic of your plate as you go through), and it costs more.
So I finally got around to getting the transponders.
Odd that MA can figure out if you're hauling your trailer, but the other states can't(?) aren't they all using the same hardware?
That last thing about having 2 separate transponders doesn't sound at all practical, since these things are made to be permanently glued to the windshield. They should just give you a transponder for the trailer only (rather than "trailer + TV) that you can take out of the glove box when you're hauling.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
I have 2 EZ passes for my TV. One for traveling in just the vehicle (white) and one for the vehicle plus my Bambi (blue). In NY, you CAN use the white one while towing, but you can't use a dedicated EZ pass lane; the toll-taker has to add the extra axle(s).

The blue one is pre-set to the total number of axles (TV + trailer), and with it I can use a dedicated EZ pass lane. Saves a lot of time; just slow down to 5 MPH, and you're through the barrier with a green light. If the EZ pass lane is at the END of the toll lanes (furthest away from the toll takers building), you only need to slow down to 20 MPH. I wish NY had full-speed EZ pass lanes like I've seen in NJ and other places.

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2017 Silverado LT Z71 Double Cab 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
So if you pull the blue one out of its box, do you have to scrape the white one off your windshield, or else get double-charged for the TV toll?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I was wondering about this, as nothing is mentioned in the printed instructions that they give you with the transponders.
I only recently signed up for ez-pass, because I so rarely drive on any of the toll roads around here, it isn't worth the trouble. BUT, they recently made one bridge into Boston an 'ez-pass only" road. they took out the toll-booths entirely, so if you don't have a transponder, they mail you a bill (after taking a pic of your plate as you go through), and it costs more.
So I finally got around to getting the transponders.
Odd that MA can figure out if you're hauling your trailer, but the other states can't(?) aren't they all using the same hardware?
That last thing about having 2 separate transponders doesn't sound at all practical, since these things are made to be permanently glued to the windshield. They should just give you a transponder for the trailer only (rather than "trailer + TV) that you can take out of the glove box when you're hauling.

We have a pair. One marked truck only, one marked Airstream. The glue is between the windshield and one side of the heavy duty Velcro. That Velcro attaches to the other side of the Velcro on the transponders so you just pop one off and pop the other one on depending on what configuration you're in. Slightly annoying but not compared to long toll booth lines....
Old 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a NJ account for our EZ-Pass. I have one unit and it is white. I use it at all places where EZ-Pass is usable and it counts the axels when we have the trailer and it charges us accordingly. I have run into only 1 trouble spot and it is on the crossing from NJ into Penna. on Rt. 78. If I use the high speed ( non-stop) lane they wrongly charge me as a commercial tractor-trailer at $16. If I go through the toll plaza ( also non-stop but at slow speed and may be a line) they charge me the correct $2.50. I hope Florida catches up with the rest and begins to accept it. I just hate to get a dedicated unit for our few times using it in Fla.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
We have a pair. One marked truck only, one marked Airstream. The glue is between the windshield and one side of the heavy duty Velcro. That Velcro attaches to the other side of the Velcro on the transponders so you just pop one off and pop the other one on depending on what configuration you're in. Slightly annoying but not compared to long toll booth lines....
Well, that makes a little more sense.
I'll have to check mine to see if there's velcro. I didn't notice any when I put it on. It still seems like there are differences in the rules for the different states, (which lane you need to be in, etc) even though they're using the same system.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Well, that makes a little more sense.
I'll have to check mine to see if there's velcro. I didn't notice any when I put it on. It still seems like there are differences in the rules for the different states, (which lane you need to be in, etc) even though they're using the same system.
I don't think they are the same systems. That's the problem....VHS vs. Beta. They are reciprocal in their communications for billing is all.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
Zil
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
I have EZ Pass from NJ. I have Sun Pass from fla. NJ has many unmanned tolls. EZ is cheaper than waiting for the bill. EZ Pass mounts with 3M Velcro, heat proof. I have four license tags on my EZ Pass account. EZ costs $1 month service charge. With SunPass you can get a sticker or go for the portable, with suction cups. NJ gives me an extra discount for not dying young. There are many places to buy a sun pass, I got mine at Walgreens. NJ EZ Pass is harder to find, I got mine from an office at The Mall, and they are available at highway rest stops. My complaint is the money "on account" at sun-pass is locked with no interest.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:49 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
Florida toll roads will also scan your license plate and mail you the bill. No transponder required.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: TRL DUST
HoffmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #28
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
WA has been using "Good to Go," toll passes which are good only in WA in a few spots. One of them, the 520 bridge, has no good alternative to the pass. If you cross that bridge without a pass they photograph your plate, add a confiscatory surcharge and mail the bill to you.

We generally program our GPS to avoid toll roads, especially in Florida and Houston, TX.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote