Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Encinitas , California
Question 'To get' list for new full-timers? what can you not live without?

HI! So we are a young married couple in our 30's getting ready to embark on a year long journey around the US and Canada. We are going to buy a new 23' International and a used Toyota Tundra in a couple weeks (or possible a 19" with our Tacoma we own).... Now we are in the process of making our shopping list and our budget for the year.
Our question is... What did you bring that made life on the road more pleasurable, easier, saved you money/time, etc.. GPS? Netflix? Solar? WiFi setups? spare tent?? non-breakable dishes?? collapsable items?? Also, what was an approximate budget for you, and what were unexpected cost you didn't plan for??

THANK YOU!! Looking forward to everyones response!
tinwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Take a look at www.dreamstreamr.com for some ideas. It's a blog written by a couple who are full-timers in an Airstream.
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
My husband and I started full-timing in our 23' International last June after selling our home and belongings. It's been a blast and you will love it! As for necessities: We've relied heavily on our MiFi since my husband works from the road and needs reliable internet. We use it also to locate campgrounds and plan our travels. Non-breakable dishes are helpful as is our stowaway cookware. Extra padding for the mattress because the bed can get really uncomfortable after awhile. Our campground grill has come in handy in the warmer months as have our outdoor chairs and screen tent (it serves as my husband's outdoor office). I'm sure there are other things that I will think of and I am sure others will add their input. We overpacked (I mean, WAY overpacked) when we first departed. We eliminated a lot of stuff about four months into our travels. You will learn what is necessary and what isn't after the first month or so.

Have a great time!!!! Safe travels and maybe we will see you on the road!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
Oh, and as for costs, we try and camp at public parks rather than private to save money. Private parks offer some nice amenities (laundry, pool, etc.) but public parks are often cheaper, often have larger campsites, and access to trails/water, etc. Depends on what you prefer. Gas prices, of course, can be painful so we try to limit how much driving we do.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Encinitas , California
Thanks everyone! Redd that website is very helpful! Lani, we have already been checking out your blog! Found it on a search about a month ago, it is totally parallel to what we want to do and has given us so much inspiration that it is doable. Thank you for sharing all you insight! Maybe we will see you on the road, hoping to leave the second week of May.
tinwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
We did a similar trip, starting back in '04. If I'd known about this forum, I would have been better prepared, but it all worked out.

I'd say a GPS and good research into what you want to see in the places you're going in the coming week or so. I hated learning about something great that we'd passed 200 miles back.

Items that can perform multiple functions, like cookware that's oven-to-table, and making sure that a lot of your electronics use the same type of battery. It sounds like nitpicking, but there isn't a lot of space in there, and weight is a consideration. Also, before you make a massive investment of money and packing space in a generator or solar, find out if you really need it. We found that the amount of travel we were doing recharged our battery just fine to the point that we almost never needed to plug in for months at a time.

Plan for minor disasters- if your water lines are made with PEX, bring along some fittings and methods for patching. Learn about the systems in your Airstream- not too complicated overall, and things only break late on Saturday nights in the woods, so it's nice to be self-sufficient.

So there you go... have fun.
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwhale View Post
What did you bring that made life on the road more pleasurable, easier, saved you money/time, etc.. GPS? Netflix? Solar? WiFi setups? spare tent?? non-breakable dishes?? collapsable items??...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post818672

see ALL of the links contained in that post.

in particular this thread is a starting place ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ring-3099.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwhale View Post
...Also, what was an approximate budget for you, and what were unexpected cost you didn't plan for??
life on the road costs about the same as life in a really SMALL stick house.

but HOW MUCH varies widely person2person....

where will you CAMP, how many miles will u tow, how much is health insurance or medical needs,

beer or bubbly, peanut butter or pate' and so on.

start here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ing-19312.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ons-31983.html

there are several BOOKs now available on full timing and $ issues, like the one linked in post #3 above.

cheers n happy travels...
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Tinwhale:

You may also want to check out the Escapees organization at www.escapees.com. Although not specific to Airstream, it is an oraganization created to support fulltimers.

The Escapees forum link is: Escapees Discussion Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Have fun.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost on the road