Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Lets becareful when bashing the engineers OK?
Reminds me...

3 guys on death row. One from Yale Law school, one from Harvard Divinity school and one from MIT school of Engineering.

Yale guy is put in the chair first and is asked if he has any last words. He says - I am innocent and believe in the purity of Justice to bear that out. Executioner pulls the switch and NOTHING HAPPENS! Stunned, they conclude he must be innocent and let him go.

Harvard guy is next. He says - I am completely innocent and believe in the mercy of The Lord who will deliver me in my time of need. Switch pulled and NOTHING HAPPENS! They just can't believe it! Another miracle sparing an innocent person and they have to let him go free.

MIT guy gets in the chair and is sort of laughing a bit. When asked if he has any last words, he points to the wall behind the chair and says - hey, I'm innocent too, but this thing won't work if you don't reconnect those two wires back there...

Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ok lol...

Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
A classmate of mine from college is director of marketing for Tumbleweed. I have another friend who built one and keeps it on her land in Vermont. Very popular in Colorado - of course, they are made here.

The one with the house in Vermont has had a problem with the state and obtaining septic/graywater/permits, but if you can get past that... since they aren't that mobile, it's hard to take them to a dump station. Composting toilets of course.

My dream would be to have a cool small house somewhere that I could haul my trailer to and have it be incorporated as part of the house while I'm there like this beautiful example in Austin with a Spartan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9952751-23472851-thumbnail.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	202097   Click image for larger version

Name:	9952751-23472843-thumbnail.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	202098  

Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
When my boys were growing up I had some land on the beach in Baja south of La Paz. I hauled a sob down there to start with. Next I added on a patio and patio cover. One thing led to another and over the years we ended up having a full fledged palapa built around the trailer, complete with running water, a wood burning fireplace and electricity (12 volt). A great place back in the day: wonderful friendly local people; unbelievable fishing and diving; and living fully tuned to the rhythms of nature.

My wife was a trooper but she never did get comfortable with the snakes living in the thatched roof.

The house in Colorado inspires me. I'd love to build something around the AS here in Central Oregon.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I want to hear more about the $2000.00 crapper......................
Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I think Macy's house is one of the most successful and beautiful Tiny Houses I've seen. Just for the record, her living this way has nothing to do with her divorce and the foreclosure of the house she owned with her ex-husband. These things did happen, but she was never destitute or insolvent. She tells the backstory on her blog.

I really like the sleek look, both inside and outside. She did a fantastic job. Many tiny houses are too woodsy for my personal taste, but this I could live in. I especially like the beautiful, and functional, kitchen.

If you're interested in small space living, this site is a cool starting off point: http://tinyhouseswoon.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I want to hear more about the $2000.00 crapper......................
Nature's Head.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Her blog makes for some interesting reading. She now actually works for the tiny house company and travels around the country heading up the training program for people interested in the concept and company. She is a major player in their video and has authored a couple of books on tiny houses. Overall she is a very impressive lady.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really like the towel-rod style utensil holder over the galley area.

I wonder if I could duplicate that in my stick house kitchen ......couldn't do it in the Interstate, as things would bang around.

The glass lights look blown.

Maggie
Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I really like the towel-rod style utensil holder over the galley area.

I wonder if I could duplicate that in my stick house kitchen ......couldn't do it in the Interstate, as things would bang around.
IKEA had a version of that, may still do. I've seen several versions put out by the various companies that make pot racks so I'm sure you should be able to find something similar through a kitchen ware supplier.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have been following the tiny house industry. Recently several of the builders have received certification by the same organization that certifies conventional motor home and travel trailer manufactures. This includes Tumbleweed and Tiny Home builders two of the top in field. They are financed and insured just as any other travel trailer. Fully road worthy and meet or exceed all safety requirements. Are they as easy and generally comfortable to tow as an Airstream? Of course not, but what is. I have been strongly considering down sizing my current home with a Tumbleweed or similar tiny house. I would not really consider one for full time traveling but it would make an excellent low cost home base that could easily be moved to another local if desired.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote