Old 06-18-2007, 05:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Thoughts of Fulltiming?

How many of you out there have thoughts of fulltiming? What keeps you from actually doing it? I've been ready to fulltime for at least two years, but the wife is dead against it.

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
I full-timed (in a Monaco Dynasty 40' MoHo) from 2000-2005. It was a great adventure and actually, a very freeing experience with no house to deal with. I still work, so it is a little (OK, a lot) different than if you are retired, but I would do it again if the right circumstances fell into alignment!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Would Love to Full Time

The reality of the situation has to do with 'She who Must Be Obeyed.'
If the wife did not love you it would be different. Who says love is free?
Ever since I spent time in AZ during the military I have wanted to have at least 2 addresses.
When family, friends, home sweet home and the 'Sweet Old Thing' are entered into the equation, reality sets in.
There is no such thing as equality. Vive la diffence!
We are all in this together.

"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We are not only considering full-timing, but we are actively preparing to do so. It turns out we both privately wanted to fulltime for years, but both thought the other would not go for the idea. It took nearly being killed to realise that life is not forever, and if you really want to do something, don't wait for tomorrow, it may never happen.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
I put a for sale sign up, and lo and behold, my home sold. So now I am a fulltimer. I have only been camping once before and that was the Sarasota rally. This is not something that I dreamed of for years.... or even many months.... I just did it. I have been going from the "hey this is great!" to the "What have I done?" So I just plan on keeping the Silver Hut rolling this summer and will see how it goes. I am at the rally in Perry, Ga.... got here the 6th of June. I will say that just about everyone I have met has been so helpful and is making this quite a bit of fun. Plan on going to Top Of Georgia for the month of July.....
By the way, I only had my dog to convince....Ok, my family has dismissed this as an idea that confirms my mind is leaving me......
I will love the light for it shows me the way....yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.
Og Mandino
I have nowhere to go and all day to get there
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We spent over 120 nights out in Lucy in the past year and covered 18,000 miles, and we want to do more. We've talked about it and still want to maintain our home base at the beach.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
What kept me? My own limitations. I removed them bought a trailer, sold my house and I am now in my second year of Full timing. Should I stay with this line of work. I suspect I will be spending at least 8 months a year in my trailer for the forseeable future. trailer is much easier than a house to take care of.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
It has been a dream of mine for years. The hubby was against it until 2 years ago. He finally decided that a house and the same old routine were not that much fun. Just bought a lot in an RV resort for a base. Now just need to pay off the AS so we will be debt free before we go for it. 'shaker
2006 34' Classic LTD
2010 Ford F250 PSD
Hensley Arrow Hitch
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
How about a related question:

How many airstreams would one need to house a family of 5 (kids: 15-9-2 yrs)?

We are considering fulltiming while we build our house. It's just a little scary with all the people?

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
heading into Full Timing from a different direction.....

Threee years ago my wife and I sold 90% of our belongings in our three bedroom house, packed up the rest (the majorirty of the remaining stuff was camping gear, theres a big clue!). We began a three year journey of clearing out the 'maybe if we....' ideas. Tried everything that came to mind, got the pathway clear for what kept coming up for each of us; move the Four Corners Area. For nearly two years we have been fulltime house sitting for other people. two weeks here, 3 weeks, there, 4 days here etc.
After examining how that was working for us we saw that it would be nice to have a landing place for the windows in between housesits. Within two weeks we had ourselves a '76 31' Soverign Rear AS!!!!
Now we dont want ot be any place but HOME!!! How could home feel so at home in a matter of DAYS!??!!!
We are backing off on the housesitting and focusing on living in our AS full time. we stayed there the first night we moved it, and as we replace the water lines, get the toilet facilites working, find a stove, hook up the LP, we will be meeting our daily living needs in this finely designed rig!

The hope is i na year we spend two months in writing/painting retreat in the canyonlands of Utah.

loving every repair minute...
Sunny (& Sequoia)

Live simply so others may live
Sunny51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Nipomo , California
Starting Friday we're sort of fulltiming. We sold our house and plan to build in Arizona once we get there in September. Until we can occupy our new fixed home, the Airstream will be our mobile home. Not only will this be economical, it will also be profitable in the sense that the monthly interest earned on the proceeds of sale will exceed our monthly cash flow needs while traveling in the Airstream. We'll probably sink the cash surplus into more options and upgrades on our home. Looks like a win, win, win all around. We're pumped!!!
Mike Young & Rosemary Nelson

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Mike keep us posted on how it all works out. I also have a 25' and I'am interested how the space works out for you. We are also considering a move to Arizona but at this point we have no idea just where in Arizona, so I'm always interested in any information and impressions of different areas.Have you decided where you'll build?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Full-timers discussion thread?

Some of you may have heard that the WBCCI Full-Timers Intra-Club (of which I was a member) will be disbanding as of October 1 2007. The intraclub couldn't rouse anyone to fill the newsletter Editor's job or any of the officer slots.

I wonder if there's an opportunity here to wrangle all you full-timers into posting full-timer issues, questions, and answers on this or another thread. I think a lot of people would benefit from the discussion. This may be the way to give the informational benefit of a "club" without the overhead that killed the last one.

I see a lot of threads popping up these days related to full-timing. People are asking about which trailer to buy, which bank to use, best places to visit seasonally, how to convince the spouse, maintenance and repair budgets, etc.

I personally get asked the same questions over and over ("How do you get Netflix?" "What about healthcare?" "How do you decide where to go?" "What tools do you bring?") Seems like there's a need to provide the voice of experience to the folks who are considering full-timing, and I can see there are several people here who can provide it.

Craftsman, I apologize if this proposal hijacks your thread. I thought it might answer the questions you have. If you would prefer, we can move this to a new thread.
Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hey Rich! You of all people should have lots to offer with this topic...seems you have been pretty suCcessful at doing it for a couple of years now!

FWIW, there is a whole section of the forum which allows for many topical discussions on the specifics of full-timing...this thread resides in that section. With the spring cleaning effort this year, the admin/mods moved many of the older posts that were scattered about in different forum areas into the 'Full Timming Forum' which can be found here now:

Airstream Community Forums> Full-Timing & Winter Living> Full-Timing

From there you or anybody can post new threads on just about anything related to FT living and build the forum. It you find that additional sub-categories are needed as this section grows, feel free to let me (or another admin/mod) know and we can flesh it out or create sub-categories.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote