Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
The worst

I probably should not tell this story but I think everyone here has one of those the worst neighbor stories, and I thought it would be fun to see what stories people share.

My story:

In the early 1970's I lived in Yosemite. Outside. Specifically in Camp Four. In the rescue site. (The rescue site was where the homeless climbers lived, in theory on call for any search and rescue issues where climbers might be of benefit.)

One evening in the winter of 1972 we had found a large Winnebago parked adjacent to our site of tents. Did I mention winter? Snow? Yep, we had that too. Our neighbor settled in by placing several floor coverings outside his door, somehow managing not to touch the ground he walking upon. We watched, amazed that he never touched the ground. Evening fell, and now we were introduced the highest decibel generator existence.

In the winter in Yosemite it is dark at six o'clock. The bar was open until 11:30 so there was an escape, but one could not drink enough...because even after mid-night, our neighbor was still watching tv, and still running his generator. About two in the morning he finally turned it off. (I suspect his bar stayed open later.)

The next morning he slept in. We did not. We were at The Village Store at 8am when it opened. Our purchase? Two pounds of bacon. Back to camp and the bacon is cooked. We do not eat it. Understand that in our predicament bacon was a luxury. That we could ill afford to waste it, rather than eat it.

Before 9am the Winnebago's rear double axles had been addressed with loving care and two pounds of bacon.

Evening came, and we had dinner in site and then settled down into camp chairs for the coming festivities, with the appropriate refreshments. In the early 1970's we had a group of bears that made an evening stroll through our campground looking for any foolish things being done with food. About nine pm the bears made their presence known. And they smelled bacon. (You think you like the smell of bacon, wait until you reincarnate as a bear.) And we got watch a mother and two cubs start working on that bacon. On the axles. Under the Winnebago.

The Winnebago began to rise and roll with movements under the Winnebago. At some point the outside lights came on, and a figure emerged to see what the problem was. The gentleman peered under his camper, saw three bears licking the underside of his RV. He immediately went back inside, and lights were turned off and generator was shut down.

Our new neighbor moved out the following morning, before first light. We slept in, it was winter after all.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

Maggie
Old 04-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Marengo , Indiana
Excellent story.

I'm definitely going to remember this. One more reason to go solar.
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Great story. I'd like to hear that fellow tell his side of the story too. That might be interesting to hear/read.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Great story! Idea not so good.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Two pounds of bacon, 99 cents each. A couple of 6 packs of Lucky Beer, about 2 bucks back then. Inventing a new form of axle grease? Priceless!!

GREAT story.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Great story! Idea not so good.
I think they were relatively considerate (or prescient). Bacon between the duals would have been much worse for Mr. Winnebago by the time the bears got at it. He would've been there until the tire service came, though. Running his generator.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Wonderful story! I don't have any to share. My life has been fairly uneventful in such matters.

Page

WBCCI 7311

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Great story, I will have to keep some bacon in our freezer just in case.
Reminds me of another time.... If not paid some boat workers (but never me!) would take a small bag of frozen bait, make a small slice in the bag and toss it on the boat. When the bait thawed the seagulls would come and make a mess of things.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Great story! Here's another.

About 10 years ago, my wife and I had the luck to get a primo beach front site at a small state park campground in Norhern CA. We abide by campground rules but our neighbors in the next site seemed to look at rules as suggestions that didn't pertain to them.

Despite the maximum 8 people per site limit, they had 16. Despite the 2 vehicles per site limit, they had 3 and the third vehicle blocked all other traffic from using the drive. Despite the 10 PM quiet time rule, their party raged on until they passed out around 2:00 AM. They pitched tents around their bonfire on the beach despite rules prohibiting both. They erected a tarp vertically between our sites to hide their illegal activities. Not ideal neighbors.

After pointing out their many violations and getting no corrective actions, the campground host arranged to have their truck that was blocking the campground drive towed into town in the middle of the night after they passed out.

When quiet time ended at 10 AM the next morning, I strategically placed my generator at the edge of our campsite, pointed the exhaust at their tents and fired it up wishing I hadn't purchased a super quiet Honda. But, it did the trick and it wasn't long before they stumbled out of their tents pretty much worse for the wear.

After a while, they realized their truck was missing. They roamed the entire campground trying to find it as though it had just wandered off. Soon enough, the campground host came by and they complained about their missing truck. After the host told them it had been towed and why, they spent the rest of the day getting it back and arranging a place to park it where it wouldn't get towed again.

All was quiet the next night. And, then they were gone to the relief of all who remained.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Nice story...