Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Question The Time has come!

First, thank you all for your wisdom. I've been reading this site for years, and it has been amazingly helpful. I've gone from fantasizing about full-timing to finally taking the plunge. I'm putting my house on the market next week. And am seriously looking for my new Airstream home.

I've decided on a 25' trailer, either Flying Cloud or Int'l, depending on the best deal. It's scary because I'm doing this alone, and I'm not very mechanical. For that reason, I'm thinking about buying new from Colonial.

My hesitation in buying used (there are some interesting options in the classified section right now) is that since I've never towed anything, never owned an rv, that I'd get a lot more help from Colonial. I've done my research and have looked at videos of hitches and sway control, read about solar panels and generators, read about the problems even new AS have. But even with all the research, I'm a novice.

What do you all think? What have your experiences been? What do you think is essential for me to know?
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Go for it! You will always find advice and help here.
What is your TV?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Belfast , Maine
Thanks, I plan to buy a Toyota Tundra.
anniemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Go for it, I say!

But, plan carefully.

In addition to all the financial stuff, spend a night or two on the lot at your dealer, in your trailer. Turn everything on and off, make sure things work properly and you know how to operate everything. Empty your tanks, too.

Might point yourself toward some Airstream rallies as you head out, as you will find lots of helpful folks there who can assist you in getting acclimated to your trailer and life on the road.

Good luck, and will look for you on the road.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Colonial has a fine reputation. If you do buy from them, you could make your first expedition south to,the Cape May area and Jersey Shore Haven which is an Airstream Only RV park roughly between Atlantic City and Cape May. You don't have to be a member of the WBCCI to stay there.

You'll have lots of knowledgeable and friendly Airstreamers close at hand for,advice and help and if you have any warranty issues arise (probably will), you can roll back to Colonial...

Don't be afraid of gently used. The previous owner has probably worked out any bugs. The running gear and appliances are pretty simple and used on lots of RVs so finding service isn't hard.

At any rate, saddle,up and hit the road. You will master it all quickly and adventure awaits!

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote