Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
The potential end of full-timing for me...

November and December were monsters for me. In November I had furnace troubles (you can read all about it in my “32 Degree Problem” post), in December my Tahoe was out of service and originally was told “it’s over, get a new vehicle” by a mechanic, a month later, $300 to a skilled friend of the family, and the Tahoe is back on the road. I’m convinced the “impossibility of wintering in an Airstream” is way over exaggerated or simply just made up...just keep your furnace running.

So, what has done me in? Unlike in Arizona and Colorado I have found myself with absolutely terrible options when it comes to finding a year round campsite in Indiana. I’m currently staying at a privately owned campground (near where I’m working) and just can’t tolerate the grouchy owner anymore. Starting to dread coming back to my site and constantly on edge about getting yelled at or startled for doing something perfectly typical, i.e. throwing away trash (he apparently doesn’t want to pay for winter trash pickup), or filling up my tank (he wants to monitor and yell at me while I do it once weekly). I’ve tried to find good land and regulations make it about impossible or the properties are sketchy. The owner did me in the other day when he rolled in with a new $70,000 2020 GMC truck and immediately decided my lot didn’t include electricity and I owed him $500, first time I’ve heard about an electricity bill and I’ve been here since August. All the things I was politely tolerating immediately got to me, the old campers sitting everywhere, the mud, the terrible well water, the sewer dump that’s not gravity fed and runs up hill, his trailer park landlord militarized personality, etc. etc. Such a downgrade from the beautiful and relaxed Palisade Basecamp in Colorado where I came from.

Anyway, I gave him his $500 and found a well kept retro looking mobile home on its own lot with an oversized garage on it big enough to store the Stream Dream and made an offer on it today.

Unfortunate really, no doubt in my mind the unbearable owners of this campground who “bought it for retirement” have never spent the night in a camper. So going to give up on my campsite where the sewer line is up hill and the rotting deck and picnic table fall in when I use them and return to the American Dream.

Looking forward to cell service, a washer and dryer, and Wi-fi I won’t lie! At least it has wheels and a propane tank for the cooktop stove which makes me feel a bit less like a sell out, ha ha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7673.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	358987Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7672.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	358988
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
You are not selling out. You are adjusting to the circumstances of life. Move forward and have a long life.

Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Good move...you are in poor area...I would not give that sucker 500...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
That place sounds dreadful. Not sure I would have lasted a month!
Nothing is permanent. And hey, you might have a garage!!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If that garage is big enough for the AS, why not just live in the AS in there? It's probably more comfy and clean than the mobile home, and then you'll have a guest house or office! What area are you in?
Indiana is an interesting state, with it's residents running the gamut from the best to the worst of what America has to offer. ;-)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
The potential end of full-timing for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
If that garage is big enough for the AS, why not just live in the AS in there? It's probably more comfy and clean than the mobile home, and then you'll have a guest house or office! What area are you in?
Indiana is an interesting state, with it's residents running the gamut from the best to the worst of what America has to offer. ;-)

I am near Grissom Air Force Base. I’m one of the overlooked military brats that took the civilian route to become a therapist. I job hop (without the relocation, respect, or service connection benefits) working for the feds and transfer anytime a sociopathic manager comes along. Usually these jobs put me in similar areas socioeconomically. The trailer is fine and clean inside, the garage is huge relatively, I do plan to just live in my AS in the garage for the most part and use the house for laundry/remodeling.

I had been wanting to renovate a mobile home, so this gives me that opportunity. Some of the Mid-Century million dollar mobile homes out of Malibu have inspired me and I figure this can be a good rental after the next hop.

Here’s an old but better shot of the garage.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7669.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	359040
Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
That garage is *awesome.* I think your new set up (guest house and garagemahal) is perfect. Congrats! Central Indiana isn't the "coolest" place in the world, but you'll be surrounded by thousands of lakes and rivers, so at least there's that!
Old 01-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Not sure it matters but I am a bit confused. What have you been living in? Airstream or Spartan? Renovating an Airstream is practical and you can live in it while you travel. Most of the Spartans can be a great project and a provide a nice place to live in but they are generally too large to haul around behind something smaller than a "F450 dually". It won't take much to put in the utilities for a trailer but look at the local ordinances. Make sure the lot is zoned to include a trailer like a Spartan or Airstream.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Not sure it matters but I am a bit confused. What have you been living in? Airstream or Spartan? Renovating an Airstream is practical and you can live in it while you travel. Most of the Spartans can be a great project and a provide a nice place to live in but they are generally too large to haul around behind something smaller than a "F450 dually". It won't take much to put in the utilities for a trailer but look at the local ordinances. Make sure the lot is zoned to include a trailer like a Spartan or Airstream.

Just a fan of the Spartan, J. Paul Getty, and the history of the trailer. I live in my 2015 Flying Cloud 25ft. I wouldn’t buy a Spartan of that size and expect it to be on the road more than once to its destination property or maybe for a relocation. This is actually my dream home, the Spartan Imperial Mansion or maybe the Executive Mansion, either way nearly impossible to place one in Indiana. I’d probably actually lean towards a 2019 or newer AS 33 anymore, but the Spartans have always impressed. The mobile home I posted about earlier is also falling through, it has an electrical issue, a renter that doesn’t want to leave, etc. etc. I am back to square one, ha ha...easy easy easy to finance and buy an expensive house though, lol

Name:   IMG_7725.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  21.9 KB
Old 01-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
The electrical problem shouldn't be that big a deal... starting from scratch in a place that size would be relatively easy. A renter who doesn't want to leave though... that gets tricky (I assume they aren't the kind of people you'd want to share the property with?).
Old 01-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Idk, the owner made me feel a bit bad for the guy who wants to “live there the rest of his life” with his girlfriend, like a said there are a few etc. etc’s. that make this a deal breaker, I understand now why it spent the entire listing year on the market without selling. I’ve moved on. Staying in the Stream Dream. Not sure how to delete this post, I guess my side interest of mobile homes will always be available on the internets...can’t say the Spartans aren’t beauties. Right future decades from now person with niche interests that finds this post? Lol lol (early internet era lingo for laughing, fading in popularity though)
Old 02-08-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Just thought I’d update. So still living in the Airstream, I have an accepted offer on another house, but don’t think it’ll ever close, ha ha. I feel like I have winter living figured out now and probably will use the house largely for a place to park, laundry and to flip. The property has full hookups on it, so that’s nice. All is well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8105.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	360772