Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The mysterious disappearance of wannabe fulltimers

Airforums suffers a pattern seen on other RV related websites.

1) People who have never spent a night in an RV show up and ask all kinds of questions about fulltiming.

2) Forum members respond graciously, providing information and gentle hints that maybe it might be a good idea to go on a couple of trips first

3) Wannabe fulltimer disappears from the forum never to be heard from again.

I wonder where they've all gone.

I wonder whether any of them appreciate the carefully crafted posts, information, and suggestions.

I wonder if any of them made it past six weeks.

It wonders me.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer

1) People who have never spent a night in an RV show up and ask all kinds of questions about fulltiming.

2) Forum members respond graciously, providing information and gentle hints that maybe it might be a good idea to go on a couple of trips first

I wonder whether any of them appreciate the carefully crafted posts, information, and suggestions.

It wonders me.
Hmmm, I don't think think they all disappear.

Some try it and don't like it/their partner doesn't like it.

I'd like to think that any thoughtful post offers something to someone.

Maggie
Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Maybe the rule should be that you have to own one before you can post questions!
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
If your only reason for owning one would be to full time in it, it's far better to ask questions first, though.

After all, we all benefit from the writing practice, no? ;-)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The same thing happens when folks set out to hike the
Appalachian Trail. They last 2 weeks at best and then their feet are too sore and they are too hungry to continue.
Perry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

It wonders me.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
I can't speak for the full timers but my husband and I owned a Jayco Eagle for 2 years and took it out about 5 times. Partly due to his crazy work schedule and never knowing when he would have a weekend off.

We are so excited to have an Airstream that we are now making the time to do it. I know for some it's a way of life and for us part timers or even some timers it has to be a passion.

Maybe they're frightened when they see the dedication it takes to even think about restoring or repairing an Airstream.
TAC OH-28
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Or maybe..... the advice was so good they ARE full timing having a blast and are to busy to use the forum.
Dan
Old 04-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Some of us started reading the forums voraciously, then later bought an AS and moved in, then started asking questions as we encountered them and have been here ever since.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I tend to dive right in! I posted here only after putting a deposit on our trailer. Our Airstream expectations where tempered by the time we have spent on small boats. That boats are different than trailers is not in question although there are plenty of similarities too. It is impossible for me to remember what expectations I had before I began sailing/cruising. All I can say is that the reality slowly reveals itself with experience!

This forum is a cornucopia of knowledge and experience and as a result of careful moderation and basically polite behavior it is a real asset to anyone thinking of taking the plunge... I hope we all remember this and continue to answer the questions.
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I was into sailboats beforehand too and so far the main difference that I've found is the direction that the water comes in from.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Probably people who have some early thoughts of full-timing and want to bounce some ideas around.

But there's some pretty big, and gutsy steps between early thoughts and actually doing it. Probably for many, the process gets derailed along the way.

I once in a while dream about it, probably will never do it. But I enjoy reading the threads about the considerations of full-timing.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We were very grateful that there was an Airforum.com before we purchased. In fact we found our Ocean Breese AS in the forum classifieds. Before we purchased we asked lots of questions to help understand what to look for and get a feel for how big an AS to buy. After the purchased, folks here answered all of my newbie questions. Some day we will have the time to travel on extended trips of 2-4 months. While that isn't full timing, we will learn lots by reading threads on full timing. So, thank you all in advance for sharing your experiences (both good and bad).
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I bought mine found out too much for me to repair sold it to someone more knowledgeable than me but I still read post everyday. Makes me feel like I am on these travels with everyone...SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have read the full time posts with great interest, and my in-laws who originally owned our trailer were full timers. My wife and I have great interest in full timing in the future, but will need to deal with life and children for several more years before that can be a reality. For now, I will continue to read the thoughtful, well worked, and insightful posts on full timing. The knowledge will not be wasted, but stored away for future use with thanks to those who have taken the time to share it.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I have lived in mine full time since September. I read the forum everyday, posting occasionally. But maybe you don't mean me? I've been bound to this spot/region because my aging mother needs more help than she once did. Is the definition of a full timer someone who lives and travels? As it is, I enjoy living in my Airstream, and both long for and dread the day when I am free to travel and change the view from my door...
Old 04-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

It wonders me.
I've often wondered that as well, and the "I'm gonna jump right in and do a full-monty" posts, which a lot of the times end up in an unfinished gutted trailer on Craigslist. You know, I imagine life happens...you just never know.

I know a person that my wife is friends with on another forum who was so inspired by what we are doing, that they decided to do the same thing....they already had an SOB so it wasn't that they needed help in the trailer part. The husband already worked remotely from home, the wife was a stay at home mom, so it seemed to be the perfect scenario -- except that even though he got approval to do so with his boss, his peers in the office found out, became very jealous, and they weren't able to do it.

I would imagine that there are many, many examples of this sort of thing, as it really is a big jump for a lot of people (the tight quarters, the lack of "stuff", the careful consideration of EVERYTHING that you bring along, etc) -- dreaming and thinking is one thing....acting and doing is completely different

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
I came here and asked some questions both about airstream and fulltiming and disappeared for a while. During that time, we bought and airstream and starting fulltiming! We've been doing so for a little over six months now. (Actually, more like 8-9 months if I count the time we were living in the AS near our stick home while we packed up and got all of our stuff in order). Didn't have many questions after we moved in — just started living! (and by the way, we had never owned a trailer before deciding to buy an airstream and fulltime in it, and we have no regrets.) I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend here since (though I'm starting to again)— I still work full time, and am spending the rest of the time exploring all the new places we travel to!

I don't think you can ever answer questions on an internet forum with the expectation that you'll get any sort of assumed acknowledgment or thanks for your answers, or that everyone you interact with will become long-term contributors. You just have to answer questions because you want to.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Let the beatings begin

Folks are not going to like this but..... I think most of them are still here, but don't want to deal with the "talking down" that they get. I full timed for 8 months and I still read the forums but rarely post. After being told "that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking", or just the bashing that goes on. I still read the posts, but felt it wasn't worth the dissing. I have spent the last week reading 12 pages of the towing and hitches forum and came away still as unsure/confused about the topic as I was when I started reading, but disappointed in the tone of some of the posters.

When you full time, you are starting an adventure, you want to talk about it, you want to learn, you want to be reassured that you aren't about to do something incredibly stupid! Allot of posters do that, but there are ones that just make you say "why bother".

Don't get me wrong, I can deal with criticism, I am married after all!

Just my 2 cents
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Folks are not going to like this but..... I think most of them are still here, but don't want to deal with the "talking down" that they get. I full timed for 8 months and I still read the forums but rarely post. After being told "that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking", or just the bashing that goes on. I still read the posts, but felt it wasn't worth the dissing. I have spent the last week reading 12 pages of the towing and hitches forum and came away still as unsure/confused about the topic as I was when I started reading, but disappointed in the tone of some of the posters.

When you full time, you are starting an adventure, you want to talk about it, you want to learn, you want to be reassured that you aren't about to do something incredibly stupid! Allot of posters do that, but there are ones that just make you say "why bother".

Don't get me wrong, I can deal with criticism, I am married after all!

Just my 2 cents
I can agree with that as well -- we got a lot of that when my wife started talking about it...we've got 2 kids AND 2 dogs (one of which is a great dane)...we are the minority of the minority. But, I like to share our story because, as you've said, there are a lot of naysayers here, and what works for you, or me might not work for other people. You just have to filter out the noise, and you can usually still find good information and good people here.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Yes, I have to say that the bulk of conversations here just aren't really relevant to me. I'm not a restorer, and I'll take my airstream to the shop when there's trouble. I feel like a lot of threads go on forever into incredible, not necessarily helpful, minutia, because there are a lot of members who seem to be more interested in displaying the depths of their knowledge, and one-upping the last guy that did so, than actual practical help. I have had some really useful help here for things like small plumbing and electrical issues, and it's thanks to these forums that we got our great ProPride hitch, but I won't even try to ready any of the threads *about* ProPride or many other subjects here, as it was much easier for me to find the relevant info I needed elsewhere, without so much "stuff" around it. If I had tried to get that knowledge from here, it honestly would have paralyzed me. At this point, except for the little fix-its or random questions, what keeps me here now at all are really the "lifestyle"-oriented threads. I appreciate the input of everyone, but I've also gotten by fine by disregarding a whole heck of a lot of advice from here! What I do continue to appreciate is the friendliness, willingness to help, and shared love of Airstreams.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote