Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #113
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

Imagine the design possibilities for the Foretravel….

I wonder if they make a pop-up?

Aaaaaand, here we go!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #114
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Imagine the design possibilities for the Foretravel….

I wonder if they make a pop-up?

No pop-ups, but the newer models come with 4 pop-outs

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #115
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This thread is hard to follow.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #116
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Scottsbluff , Nebraska
I want to buy an Airstream trailer. I like the looks of the 90's models. I'm not sure how much they sell for. I want one I can pull with a 1/2 ton vehicle, clean and ready roll.
I want a full or queen bed, bathroom, good air and heater, do they have generators? I have never bought a Airstream travel trailer. Help!
kaece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #117
Old School Young Gun
Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Better start savin now lol. A 1/2 ton can pull a 20 footer easily, but Id use a weight distributing hitch for sure. Most AS's came with everything u described (minus the generator... easy add on) and cost depends on a ton of things! The newer 90s models run a bit higher since... well... theyre newer lol. Prolly closer to $10,000 and up. The 80s and on down cost around $6,000 for a good, unmolested one. I just paid $5350 for a 1981 31' with a semi-redone interior. Happy hunting!
No Airstream Yet...
ElCamino Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #118
1964 19' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
We have full timed in a 1964 Globe Trotter (19') for 5 years. We did the sell, give-away and storage thing. Took two years to accomplish - but we had been planning for 5 years prior.
BUT, there are more important things to consider than just downsizing and what sort of TV you should pull your AS with. You still have to live somewhere for insurance, vehicle registration, driver's licence and taxes. We rent a legal address which has mail forwarding services. Another factor is how to manage your business affairs while on the road. Well, we do almost everything on-line so there is very little critical mail. Many books have been written on these subjects that are worth reading before you really get serious.

64GlobeTrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #119
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay View Post
I think the responses are probably appreciated by the initial poster as well. even if you never heard back from them.

I do follow this thread and read the replies, and appreciate them.

I find that, as the thread has grown and matured, I am struck by the number of responses from people who have embarked with some degree of success on an adventure of fulltiming. It is reassuring to me to read these, and the wide variety of whys and hows speaks to the many facets of the Airstream community.

A problem endemic to the Internet and its predecessors, since before the September That Never Ended, is that many times the best-written posts are never acknowledged.
To learn to see below the surface, you must adjust your altitude
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #120
Streamline Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
And then there's the other side of the story...

I am the newbie. Looking for my first trailer and I will be a full-timer.

Nope, I've never owned a travel trailer, but I know how to tow one. I do know my limits though and I would prefer a trailer in the 27' range (maximum).

I love. To camp and primitive camping doesn't scare me, so boon docking actually intrigues me. Sailboats are my favorite things on the water and I'm pretty good at old house restoration - which I figure can't hurt since what I want is a vintage trailer. Now, does any of this make me automatically qualified to be a full-timer?

Not in the least. Wanting to do anything in life is all about state of mind, intention, desire.

I've done nothing but research, research, research for the past few weeks and there are things that are going to be issues for me...wait, there are day-to-day life things that are issues for me now! So, that's no stumbling block.

I tend to ask A LOT of questions. That can be annoying to people who have "been there, done that" and who think they no longer need to educate the newbies about the forums because surely that baton should have passed on to someone else by now. Fortunately I've been on the Internet since before the World Wide Web, not everyone has had that luxury.

So, as the non-trailer owning newbie, what would make me disappear from the forums?

Winning the lottery, paying someone else to totally refurbish the vintage trailer of my dreams, going to boot camp to learn everything I need to know and then hitting the road. Seriously though, I have a real desire to see this path I've chosen succeed. Some people don't realize just how much work it will actually take to purchase an older trailer, bring it up to snuff and then learn all of its little quirks on shakedown cruises. I think that's part of what scares them off - actually coming to realize the investment of self that this endeavor actually requires.

Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #121
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
After not being very active on this forum for a few months, I'm back for a bit. We've been researching for about two years now, and have decided that a motor home would best suit our intended needs, at least at first. We plan to travel a great deal, moving 2-4 times each month. While we're parked, though, we want to explore the area. For us, at least, we think that a DP with an economical toad fits the bill the best.

I'm sure that we'll settle somewhere eventually, and take trips to particular places, being gone for a few days to a few months. At that time an Airstream would probably be a better bet for us.

Yes, I have looked at Airstream motor homes, and they don't fit our needs.

An Airstream isn't for everyone, and it is probably better for one to find that out before purchasing one rather than after. Julianne, I've said that I'd rather ask a thousand questions before writing a large check than ask one question a thousand times afterward. Ask your questions and work on your "mission profile." Airstream people are a pretty friendly group, and generally pretty knowledgeable about their coaches. They'll help you figure out what you need, and they just might lead you to the perfect coach for you.
David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member
1971 25' Tradewind
Louisville , Kentucky
i was a newbie in the forums and yes they/ you guys were very helpful. that was 3 years of full timing ago. 100 degree days, 0 degree nights. broken
things, improvised things. everyday a challenge and a victory. it keeps me young so a big thank you too all. especially the cat who turned me on to a free factory service manual. happy trails. would love to share my learnen.
70s guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
Ruston , Louisiana
I don't know about those other guys....

Some of us are unfortunately stuck in our stick homes.

My wife looked at me the other day and asked, "How long until we can downsize and move into our camper?" We both can't wait.

We've determined the best thing for us right now is to wait it out and plan until the kids aren't in school anymore. We've only got six more school years.

Meanwhile....we find every excuse we can to get out in our camper.

Since we've got so many years until this can happen, it should go absolutely perfectly when we get to this point, right?

Unless someone wants to sponsor a full-time traveling family....
mgriffrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #124
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
3) Wannabe fulltimer disappears from the forum never to be heard from again.

I wonder where they've all gone.

I wonder if any of them made it past six weeks.

It wonders me.
We full timed for 2 years out on the road. Live another 2 1/2 years in our MH on a leased site.

That was too long for mama to go without a bath tub to soak in.

We bought a house, but still have Laverne. Looking forward to some rallies this year. We thought about a name change when we lost our black lab Lou. Now there are 4 dogs as we rescued 2 more from the pound.

When mama gets that itching gypsy feeling in her bones again, there's always the possibility of the open road again. I still have a house for sale sign.

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

50 Gallon Durapride Stock Tank - GEMPLER'S

ta-da. Just need a screen room with solid side panels for privacy

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #126
Streamline Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I have been quiet, but not gone. I finally made my trailer purchase Monday!

My pretty lady is a 1968 Streamline Empress. At 28' she's larger than I was originally planning on purchasing, but I'm ecstatically happy with her.

My driveway rehab timetable calls for hitting the road in June.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3685513055.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	177848   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4014163879.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	177849  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4097048168.jpg