Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #81
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Nicely said, Jan K.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I want you guys to know that the help you give is greatly appreciated. I posted a question in "on the road" about "5th wheels versus trailers" and answers by guys like Rednax and Gene and Dave and others have actually convinced me to at least look into the Airstream. I'm willing to bet that your time and effort in answering the simple-minded questions of newbies like me have helped orient other people besides myself.

Thanks.

Harry
harrysteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #83
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Harry, thanks for the compliment. You have to look at all sides of this, weigh all the possibilities and make the decision that is right for you. Airstreams, like all RV's, have plusses and minusses.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
Nicely said, Jan K.
Thank you )

I got to thinking about more about the thread - I've never lived any place where there wasn't a degree of maintenance but in the Airstream it's a lot easier than most. Most of the maintenance is easy compared to my house. I've never had any 'leaks' - had to rework a furnace (happens a lot in houses) - put in a new toilet (had three to do in the house), got a new stove (just because I wanted to) and now drop off my laundry (cheaper in the long run).

If a dealer told me to stick close to their shop, I think I'd have a serious talk with the owner of that dealership. Tainted water in the fresh water tank???? Isn't that why the good L-rd invented Clorox???? Put some in and run down the road - no problem after that. Sewer tank problems - a little Calgon liquid from time to time makes things 'slip out' easier........nothing that cant be dealt with is there???

As far as 5th Wheels are concerned - give me my tincan all the time. I have NO problem with leaks = water or wind. My 34' coach tows like a dream - and gives me great living space. My family started out in an 18' Caravelle - that was workable too. I even 'lived' in it one semester of college - and loved it )

No, again I don't look back. I won't move into conventional housing again - I want to know I can go somewhere else whenever I want to - even if I never want to. I guess I'm the kind of person who could live on a boat, or an RV with no problem. Living in a house has no appeal. Give me a big shiny aluminum can and I'll call it "HOME SWEET HOME" - and be happy with it. The 'faint of heart' need to live in a 'stick and brick' house -

Jan K.
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
Your posts are greatly appreciated.

I wander in here now and then and finally got things in motion this year to where I should be able to afford a trailer next year possably, the year after most likely.

I won't full time anytime soon, but I wanted to have things in order so I can have a decent trailer, decent tow vehicle, and have time off from work a few times a year to enjoy owning them.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #86
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
varies , changes constantly
All information greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Airforums suffers a pattern seen on other RV related websites.

1) People who have never spent a night in an RV show up and ask all kinds of questions about fulltiming.

2) Forum members respond graciously, providing information and gentle hints that maybe it might be a good idea to go on a couple of trips first

3) Wannabe fulltimer disappears from the forum never to be heard from again.

I wonder where they've all gone.

I wonder whether any of them appreciate the carefully crafted posts, information, and suggestions.

I wonder if any of them made it past six weeks.

It wonders me.
Hi,

You describe us to a "T"! (However, we fall more into the classification of "lurkers")

It took from Sept 2010 until May 2012 to glean enough information from all of the Airstream Experts here in the forums and line up all the ducks to make full-time-traveling a reality.

Thank You All!

DAVEANDDIMPLES.COM
A.S.diet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #87
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
My in-laws decided several years ago to become fulltimers. They sold a lot of their stuff, got their house ready to list with the realtor, plotted out their first year of travels, and headed out for their first big adventure. Two weeks later, they were back at home, and have barely camped since.

They barely like each other enough to coexist in 2800 square feet. There was no way they could live in a 28 foot trailer.
clbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.S.diet View Post
Hi,

You describe us to a "T"! (However, we fall more into the classification of "lurkers")

It took from Sept 2010 until May 2012 to glean enough information from all of the Airstream Experts here in the forums and line up all the ducks to make full-time-traveling a reality.

Thank You All!

DAVEANDDIMPLES.COM
I just looked at your web site. It looks very interesting. I am going to read it from the beginning. Thanks for taking the time to document your experiences.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #89
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbolt View Post
My in-laws decided several years ago to become fulltimers. … Two weeks later, they were back at home, and have barely camped since.
Great story, though sad they can't get along.

Have you made an offer on their trailer?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #90
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The same thing happens when folks set out to hike the
Appalachian Trail. They last 2 weeks at best and then their feet are too sore and they are too hungry to continue.
Perry
And then the bears eat ‘em...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB
I'll bet that folks with 5th Wheels have the same problems as folks with Airstreams, maybe even more problems. Anything mechanical can break, and the quality of build is what I would look for in a new unit. Some folks like rebuilding old units because they know exactly what is in it when they are done.
I would only inject one point, fact, or whatever ) How many coaches do you see on the road, in campgrounds, or (as in my case) as a full time home) that are going strong at 50+ years old. There are very few of those 'brands' - and I kind of think Airstreams are #1 on the list. When they're still 'being' at that age it says something monumental.

We're almost two years 'fulltiming' and loving it. Yes, it's not a life style for everyone - better make sure you like your mate......really like your mate. If you don't, living in a compact space wont improve your relationship - . If you do, and you have a good sense of humor and some ingenuity, and a big streak of renegade - you're well on your way ))

Jan K.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #92
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Great story, though sad they can't get along.

Have you made an offer on their trailer?

Gene
Their trailer is just another SOB, with nothing special about it. It's been kept outdoors on an unpaved storage lot the entire time they've owned it, aside from their infrequent trips. It's suffered some rubs and dings from that, and the lot owner cut the harness in two on the trailer because the low battery buzzer was going off when he was there one day. He knew who owned the trailer, and had the phone number, but decided to hack the wiring instead.

I don't even know if they've paid it off yet.
clbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Although this thread is old, maybe someone will see it....?

i am coming into being a fulltimer probably a little different than most folks on here. I've been offered a job on a horse farm and have bought an AS to live in, on the farm. I'll be going from living in a little house to-overnight- living in the 1974 25' Tradewind I just bought 2 days ago.
I've never RV'd before, I've never owned a TT before. This is all new and I am learning tons from this website.
So, I APPRECIATE the thoughtful responses. I appreciate the time it takes to make those responses.
Guess I just wanted to let you know that your time and effort are appreciated, if not by the person you were responding to than perhaps someone like me!

THANKS!
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #94
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
addendum:
I think the responses are probably appreciated by the initial poster as well. even if you never heard back from them.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritAtBay

i am coming into being a fulltimer probably a little different than most folks on here. I've been offered a job on a horse farm and have bought an AS to live in, on the farm. I'll be going from living in a little house to-overnight- living in the 1974 25' Tradewind I just bought 2 days ago.
I've never RV'd before, I've never owned a TT before. This is all new and I am learning tons from this website.
So, I APPRECIATE the thoughtful responses. I appreciate the time it takes to make those responses.
Guess I just wanted to let you know that your time and effort are appreciated, if not by the person you were responding to than perhaps someone like me!

THANKS!
Sounds like fun to me )) Try to think about it as 'concentrated living'...........and try to leave your boots outside )) All your essentials are in place - and enjoy yourself. Where are you and what is the climate? Could be a wonderful experience )) We're fulltimers - almost two years (Halloween) - and not looking back. I don't miss the big house - don't miss feeling so 'locked-in' - I like knowing that I'm mobile - and look back long enough only to wonder what ever possessed me to buy all the junk I did way back when )) I'm having a lot more fun now -

Jan
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

THANKS!
Well, enjoy! It will be an adventure.

You are employed and have a place to live---life is good.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1957 26' Overlander
Alva , Oklahoma
Im still here. It's kinda nice to be the topic of a thread this intense.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #98
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
BugNot1 & Maggie,
Thanks for your interest.
BugNot, re: climate. i'll be living about 2 hours north of Houston, so still pretty mild winters, thankfully. You are not the first to tell me they don't miss the big house. I am looking forward to downsizing and living more simply. I really like that I OWN my little home. maybe not the land it sits on, but when i move, i get to take my home with me. after years of renting and financial insecurity, this is comforting to me.
Maggie, yes you don't know how true your statement is. i have been un- & under-employed for 3 years. this job and living situation gives me the chance to get my head above water again. i anticipate staying with that job for 2 possibly 3 years, then moving on. possibly closer to family, by then my mom may need help.

i spent the greater part of today emptying and cleaning the trailer. (I've got to come up with a name for her.)

Thanks again! :-)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #99
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
BugNot1 & Maggie,
Thanks for your interest.
BugNot, re: climate. i'll be living about 2 hours north of Houston, so still pretty mild winters, thankfully. You are not the first to tell me they don't miss the big house. I am looking forward to downsizing and living more simply. I really like that I OWN my little home. maybe not the land it sits on, but when i move, i get to take my home with me. after years of renting and financial insecurity, this is comforting to me.
Maggie, yes you don't know how true your statement is. i have been un- & under-employed for 3 years. this job and living situation gives me the chance to get my head above water again. i anticipate staying with that job for 2 possibly 3 years, then moving on. possibly closer to family, by then my mom may need help.

i spent the greater part of today emptying and cleaning the trailer. (I've got to come up with a name for her.)

Thanks again! :-)
She'll 'acquire' a name after you've lived together a while ). & - 'Paid For' is always good ). Wheels are good )

Jan
Old 08-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #100

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Try to spend a few nights in the trailer before you HAVE to do so, while you still have the non-mobile house to fall back on if you need to fix anything that would make it inconvenient to live in the Tradewind while you're working on it.

Make sure the AC works well and the 30A power plug is in good shape... Houston area may have mild winters, but summer aren't mild by any stretch of the imagination. Do your best to find a shady spot to park the Tradewind when you get where you're going.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote