Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Dave, you sir are correct. Inside the Airstream the aluminum skin shields the brain from electromagnetic fields and prevents mind control or mind reading and successfully limits the transmission of voices to the brain. So just grab your hat when you go out the door. BUT BE SURE that Ken didn't get to your hat first.
Ken:

If you are worried I will get you a hat.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I want to be abducted by Aliens (as long as they bring me back)

Ken
Ken, it is well known that space aliens dissect humans when they abduct them. It is also known they resect them when they are finished. But what if the alien surgeon gets confused? What if he can't tell a human from a Romulan or a Klingon? What if your thumbs are resected backwards and you can't grasp a bottle of beer? What if your nose ends up in your butt? Imagine the consequences.

Wear the silly hat. We all do.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

What if your nose ends up in your butt? Imagine the consequences.

Wear the silly hat. We all do.

Gene
I try look at the positive side of things.

If my nose has to end up in a butt, I would prefer it to be mine.

I will take the offer of a hat though, the john in our trailer could stop working.

It is best to be prepared.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Carol:

After reading your post and going back to the title of this thread I believe that your post correctly answer the question posed in the thread title - mysterious disappearance of wannabe fulltimers better than the other posts. I laughed my &&& off. Question answered.

How long will it take for this topic to be on the history channel's "Ancient Alliens"? How long has this been going on? Why are we only now catching on to this phenomena ?

Are they coming to take our Airstreams away? The end of the world in December 2012 is one thing but aliens taking our Airsteams is completely another. I'm sure glad we have you with your brilliant insights and instincts on our Airstream side.
I did not think of that when I read her post. However, You may be right. It is a nice tidy answer to the original question.

It would also explain the cylindrical UFOs that are sometimes reported. It would be a simple conversion for an alien.

Ken
Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Maybe the space aliens will be handling warranty work for Airstream.

Gene
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Quote:

Gene
I believe they already do. However, if you want it done correctly, you must take to to the factory on Aldeberan 3x.

Ken
Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #67
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
These are not the rivets you are looking for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I believe they already do. However, if you want it done correctly, you must take to to the factory on Aldeberan 3x.

Ken
The one on Alderaan is out of business now. It was in business and just went silent. Who knows about these things?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Quote:
But what if the alien surgeon gets confused? What if he can't tell a human from a Romulan or a Klingon? What if your thumbs are resected backwards and you can't grasp a bottle of beer?

What if your nose ends up in your butt? Imagine the consequences.

Gene
I don't know if an alien resection would cause that but a black hole will.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #69
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
I don't know if an alien resection would cause that but a black hole will.
That is a situation of utmost gravity.

Gene
Old 05-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #70
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
The mysterious disappearance of wannabe thread starters
Airforums suffers a pattern seen on other RV related websites.

1) People who have shown up, start a thread and ask all kinds of questions.

2) Forum members respond graciously, providing information and gentle hints that maybe it might be a good idea to go on posting to the thread.

3) Wannabe thread starters disappears from the thread never to be heard from again.

I wonder where they've all gone.

I wonder whether any of them appreciate the carefully crafted posts, information, and suggestions.

I wonder if any of them made it past six posts.

It wonders me.

FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:

Gene
Of course the space aliens handle warrantee work for Airstream. Why do you think they refer to it as "going to the the Mother Ship"!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Why do potential full-timers disappear from the forum? Well let's see - right now we've got a thread going about stirring the "mountain of" c**p in your toilet with a stick, an Airstream dealer telling a new buyer not to drink the water at the campground, experienced owners telling the same new owner not to drink the water in the fresh water tank because it gets algae in it and/or smells funny, owners complaining about the build quality of their brand-new Airstream - and this is on top of the almost innumerable leaky roof, rotted floor, heater won't heat, A/C won't cool, refrigerator won't cool threads. And all the Airstream owners that tell people "If you want to go full-time, do it in a fifth wheel or motorhome." I know that there are many people on this forum that enjoy dealing with these issues (and more power to you), but most retirees are looking to avoid work, not seek it out.

Incidentally, the dealer that told someone not to drink the campground water is the same one that told me I should stay close to home for the first few months after buying an Airstream because "There's bound to be a lot of problems with it that we'll have to fix - there always are."
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
It would appear that owning an Airstream is not for sissies.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #74
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Or, one could just pack a giant portable kitchen, multiple water containers, portable toilet & shower, plus a break-down iron panel packers stove that also heats water and load it all into the back of the pickemup. And a wall tent. With more of those wooden poles than might be needed in case a few break.

Set up, shower, cook supper and have a drink . . . ought to be about five hours all told. One will rest well that night.

Next morning, the aerobic exercise of doing it again. Wait for the sun to dry the condensation on the canvas prior to take-down. Breakfast 'fore dawn plus a cold lunch put together and expect to git to rollin' around 10:30. Wolf down lunch at the fuel stop.

By 1530, start over again at the farthest point possible.

And another day, another 90-miles . . . . sure beats usin' mules.

Nothing stops folks from informing themselves about what works or doesn't.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I like Mr. Bill's sentiment: "most retirees are looking to avoid work, not seek it out." I like the idea of avoiding work if possible. This side of heaven, though, I don't think that is entirely possible. If I can't avoid work, I like to be able to call on those who know how to get the work taken care of in the best and easiest possible way.

"Best" and "easiest" aren't always mutually exclusive. Sometimes the easiest way is to fix it with plastic, but frequently such repairs need to be repeated. Fixing it myself, with the advice of those who know what they're talking about, is a better way. Better yet, be aware of potential problems and take care of them before they become major problems. The wisdom of this groups really shines here.

Thanks again to all who have so graciously answered my many questions and given us lots of food for thought.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I'll bet that folks with 5th Wheels have the same problems as folks with Airstreams, maybe even more problems. Anything mechanical can break, and the quality of build is what I would look for in a new unit. Some folks like rebuilding old units because they know exactly what is in it when they are done.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Some folks like rebuilding old units because they know exactly what is in it when they are done.
I agree completely. One thing that I have learned from this forum is that if I ever do get an Airstream it will be a small, old one that I will convert to being all electric, including the heater. I will get rid of the freshwater tank and blackwater tank and install a regular flush toilet that I can connect directly to the sewer connection at my space in the campground. Or maybe just eliminate the toilet all together. In other words I will exchange the ability to boondock for a simple rig with less to go wrong.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
A few of us wannabes (or soon to bes) are still kicking around.

We are headed out June 15. Google search does well for most of my questions and no time to hang out in threads.. too much to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	560043_360599197353302_100002096748923_709403_1663437636_n.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	158837  
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #79
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I'll bet that folks with 5th Wheels have the same problems as folks with Airstreams, maybe even more problems. Anything mechanical can break, and the quality of build is what I would look for in a new unit. Some folks like rebuilding old units because they know exactly what is in it when they are done.
They tend to just trade them after five or so years.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Why do potential full-timers disappear from the forum? Well let's see - right now we've got a thread going about stirring the "mountain of" c**p in your toilet with a stick, an Airstream dealer telling a new buyer not to drink the water at the campground, experienced owners telling the same new owner not to drink the water in the fresh water tank because it gets algae in it and/or smells funny, owners complaining about the build quality of their brand-new Airstream - and this is on top of the almost innumerable leaky roof, rotted floor, heater won't heat, A/C won't cool, refrigerator won't cool threads. And all the Airstream owners that tell people "If you want to go full-time, do it in a fifth wheel or motorhome." I know that there are many people on this forum that enjoy dealing with these issues (and more power to you), but most retirees are looking to avoid work, not seek it out.

Incidentally, the dealer that told someone not to drink the campground water is the same one that told me I should stay close to home for the first few months after buying an Airstream because "There's bound to be a lot of problems with it that we'll have to fix - there always are."
I've been offline for a while - but been busy having fun )) Almost 2 years now - not looking back AT ALL........loving tin can living and am happy to be a 'non-conventional' liver of 'the life' )

There is a bit of adjustment - and funny things tend to take new meaning. Flooring should really be somekind of 'hard' flooring - especially with dogs - more so with multiples. A porcelain toilet is a real luxury )) Our Bravura was due for an update so we went with The Style II - and it's wonderful (really wasn't supposed to fit but hubby made an agreement with it - LOL, it's wonderful to have a bodyshop and tons of tools - note to self - men with LOTS of toos are wonderful )) New flooring is going in next month........

We've turned our 'courtyard' into an outdoor room - 5 fountains - and stockade fencing makes us feel like we're NOT in a city - and the fountains are drawing all kinds of 'wildlife' - we're seeing birds we never dreamed were 'city birds', squirrels, and even a family of chipmunks.........we even put in a filtered sunken swimming pool for the dogs ))

We don't even consider going back to a stick and brick house. My housework is finished about 30 minutes after I start it - Husband walks across the parking lot to work. Money saved is HUGE. I really can't think of a downside. There isn't one. Do I miss the 'things'??? No. I do sometimes looks at what I haven't parted with as yet and wonder, 'what was I thinking when I bought that?' - and walk away shaking my head. Live and learn - for sure!!!

October 31st, will be the end of year two. One of the other changes we made was pulling out the loveseat and recliner and getting two matching leather power recliners. When the weather drives us inside, hubby can have his remote control in the living room and I can go to the bedroom with my computer or tv - and neither of us bother the other. Amazing as it may be - I can still 'lose' things ))

The dogs love it too...........

Jan K.
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote