Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The other group missing in action is the "restore" startup group. With all the restore startups reported, one would think there'd be no more unrestored Airstreams in existence.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #30
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
"that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking"

Newbies generally are not familiar with how the Air Forums are structured and the more established members may attempt to make it easier for them to navigate the forums.
There is no real value in having a zillion threads on the same subject. A simple search will get most questions answered, or at least move you onto the right thread.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Folks are not going to like this but..... I think most of them are still here, but don't want to deal with the "talking down" that they get. I full timed for 8 months and I still read the forums but rarely post. After being told "that is covered in post's XYZ, and you should really search the threads before asking", or just the bashing that goes on.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, really, there are just a few folks here who refer you to search the posts before giving information.

You don't always know what to search for when you have a problem. And, if it is urgent, you want real-time help as quickly as you can get it.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
…I just wouldn't assume that because enthusiastic n00bs have stopped posting here about certain topics, that it means that they have failed, given up, or continue on in ignorance. This forum is a great source of knowledge, but not the only source of knowledge, and the assumption that because they didn't read a 100-page thread on here—where some of the info is good, and some is just plain wrong— means that the person is unwilling to read or seek knowledge, or that the person doesn't understand their hitch, is just plain wrong.

We bought our airstream to get out there, live and have fun, not to ruminate on the finer details of every detail. We seek enough info to pursue our fulltiming safely, responsibly, and comfortably, and that hasn't required a lot of follow up here. For those doing repairs and restoration, I don't know how they could survive without this forum. But honestly, buying a newer airstream and living in one is just not nearly as complicated as I would have expected if I went by these forums alone! Everyone gets what they need out of forums. I just wouldn't make assumptions about why or why any particular person don't stick around here.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, Goal', thanks for the compliment.

Jammer, good topic. I think most have taken it more broadly to: where do they go, fulltimers or not? I will reply in that vein.

I immediately thought of Fatboy (if that was actually his Forum name; can't find it now). Apparently well named, he bought, if I recall correctly, a vintage trailer to restore. The thread he started quickly got desperate on his part and then he was gone. I think there were some comments about his weight getting in the way of this kind of labor. Add him to the "disappeared"*.

But in a life of people asking me for advice in my profession and many wanting to get it for free, I gave it freely because I thought it the right thing to do. Many never let me know how it worked out even though I made a point of asking them to. Same thing happens here, though different kind of advice most of the time. I still give it and still wonder what happened.

Gene

*The "disappeared" or "desaparecidos" refers to opponents of military regimes in Argentina and Chile who were taken and killed; hopefully, this term does not refer to the present topic.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a gal pal who wants to fulltime.... and much as I like her, I really wish she'd get on the forums (instead of asking my opinion all the time). I really like her but the thought of her pulling a trailer scares me. I've met her in a vacant store's parking lot with my trailer and let her try driving, backing and hitching.

It might be funny in a Laurel & Hardy movie - but 5 orange parking cones have given their lives already and she hasn't yet mastered staying in one lane when driving foreward yet!

If I abandon all tact, I'll probably lose a friend, and if I don't I'll probably watch this one kill herself. Maybe I should give her tuition to truck driving school for her birthday!

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
One of the great things about the internet is that it allows you to learn from others mistakes and experience. I came to this forum originally because I was seriously considering selling everything and going full-time in my retirement. After asking questions and reading many past posts I realized that full-timing, at least in a trailer, was not for me. Listening to the comments of others helped me to ask myself questions that wouldn't otherwise have occurred to me, like "do you want to camp, or travel?" I personally have never found myself talked down to or treated badly in any way by anyone on this forum, and I appreciate the help. If there's anything that makes newbys turn off it's probably: 1) no matter how any thread starts it eventually seems to end up talking about blackwater tanks and systems. The impression that this gives to Newbys is that most of Airstream life is centered around caca; 2) a lot of people that come to the forum are thinking about buying a brand new Airsteam. They leave when they realize that this forum is basically devoted to restoring and collecting vintage models, and 3) if you read enough posts you eventually figure out that Airsteam was bought out years ago and the trailers that they have built since then are a shadow of what they used to build, which is to say if you buy a brand-new Airstream you are paying a big cash premium for a name. Most newbys that come to this forum are interested in buying a ready-to-go trailer, not in restoring a 30 year-old one.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
OH YES !!!!!
Just what we need, more "I know everything now" truck drivers.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If I abandon all tact, I'll probably lose a friend, and if I don't I'll probably watch this one kill herself. Maybe I should give her tuition to truck driving school for her birthday!

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Quote:

Paula
Paula, I've had to deal with this issue before too. I have a friend who noticed my moderate success hauling mobile homes and decided that he was going to buy a truck too and he wanted me to help him get setup in the mobile home hauling business.

I sat down with him and had a heart to heart talk and I told him point blank that his driving was too sloppy and inattentive and if he tried to pull these oversize loads down the road at best he would wind up in a lawsuit which could cost him his home and at worst he and/or an innocent victim of his driving would die. He was quite angry at me but it did kill his efforts to become a mobile home trucker, and he was cool towards me for six months or so afterwards but he finally had to admit that I was right and we remain close friends to this day.

You have a responsibility to your friend if you truly care about her, as well as the responsibility of all humans to protect other innocent persons that could be harmed to speak up for their safety. You should give your friend your honest appraisal of her ability to safely pull a trailer and assist her in acquiring the skills required if you can. A truck driving school is actually a very good idea because it will teach skills in excess of those required to pull an AS.

Your friend may have her feelings hurt but after a time she should come to realize that you were doing it for her safety and because you care about her and the hurt feelings should go away. If you can't be honest with a friend, especially about their safety, then they aren't really that good of a friend.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
You have a responsibility to your friend if you truly care about her, as well as the responsibility of all humans to protect other innocent persons that could be harmed to speak up for their safety. You should give your friend your honest appraisal of her ability to safely pull a trailer and assist her in acquiring the skills required if you can. A truck driving school is actually a very good idea because it will teach skills in excess of those required to pull an AS.

Your friend may have her feelings hurt but after a time she should come to realize that you were doing it for her safety and because you care about her and the hurt feelings should go away. If you can't be honest with a friend, especially about their safety, then they aren't really that good of a friend.
Thank you.

You are right of course. I've always admired those people who have the native charm to tell you to go to hell in such a nice way that you end up thanking them for the directions. Unfortunately - in that respect I was brought up by wild poodles. Sarcasm is an art form in my family: I get that it's cruel, and strive to use only with self-effacing humor. I've lived in the south for 40 years and am still so lacking in "Southern Charm" that I must refer to myself as a grateful recoverin' Yankee.

I'll have to sit down and do some serious speech writing to make it come out caring and concerned but clear enough for her to understand. The parking lot escapades didn't daunt her! (I however wished I'd had botox injections prior to sitting in the passenger seat!)

Paula
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

You always crack me up Paula.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Talking

Quote:

(I however wished I'd had botox injections prior to sitting in the passenger seat!)

Paula

What? you mean you don't like the face frozen with fear look that you ended up with? As far as I can tell that's pretty much the look that people pay the big botox bucks for....

True story, went to doctor this week for allergy season stuff and the clinic was running a spring special on botox injections... only $9.75 per unit.... makes you wonder if there's a "Best by" date on the stuff

oh wait, we were talking about all the extraneous information in threads.....
Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Never talked about it here but I have toyed with the idea of doing some full time in our Overlander. When I visit with my DW,,, she gets that "deer in the headlights" look.. Then I hear the 15 minutes of reason that will never happen.. I know her well enough that "(IF)" we ever have the right turn of events, as she loves to travel and meet the right people at the right time her view would change..

Right now we are still tied to the farm full time.. Have a son in law who is making headway but a way to go to handle the work load alone..

But I get the what about the grand kids,, what about my board meetings,,, and on and on right now.. So will coast along and enjoy the time we do spend in our Overlander and keep my eyes open for the right reason to extend a weekend into a week,, then a month,,,

Having the stories here help me look at ways to cross the void we have now,, and feel a lot of wan ta Be's are also dealing with the same issues.. What are we going to give up to seek the rewards other wise..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
1) no matter how any thread starts it eventually seems to end up talking about blackwater tanks and systems. The impression that this gives to Newbys is that most of Airstream life is centered around caca.
You know old people are always interested in being regular. Maybe Airstreams should come with a case of fiber.

It is true that a lot of the Forum is about restoration, but a there is plenty else. If newbies want to buy a truly premium brand, or think Airstreams are invincible, or don't know that buying an old one will be a decision that may mean lots of money and time to get the way they want it, best they know it before they act. Yes, there's a lot of Airstream company bashing, but didn't they ask for it?

You get good and bad info here, just like at a family reunion.

Gene