Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #141
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Learning to use the SEARCH function more than makes up for the trouble. Alternate words, alternate spellings, etc.

Sro, I am fond of saying that, for Airstreams, all problems are known and that there are three fixes for each of those problems.

I believe that it is the combination of higher expense than anticipated and slightly steep learning curve which send most away.

But it is far FAR eaiser in the Internet age than before.

And, "most" seem to want to hang on to an old house no longer suited the number and age of people living in it. This is where the rubber hits the road. No house is an investment, they are emotional crutches. Until someone kicks that away they cannot, IMO, "see" their way clear . . and forget, too, that they'll eventually have to move out of it anyway.

Better sooner than later, Fulltime RV'er or no.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I was into sailboats beforehand too and so far the main difference that I've found is the direction that the water comes in from.
I wish these forums had a "like" button.
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #143
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No "LIKE" button? Try "THANKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianePhx View Post
I wish these forums had a "like" button.
They DO actually - look just left of the "Quote" for reply - you'll find "Thanks" - which used to be "Karma" (I STILL Miss Karma SO Much)... but click the "Thanks" button, and send a brief message to the person who wrote the post you admire. It makes a warm fuzzy in their day.

Paula
Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 AM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
They DO actually - look just left of the "Quote" for reply - you'll find "Thanks" - which used to be "Karma" (I STILL Miss Karma SO Much)... but click the "Thanks" button, and send a brief message to the person who wrote the post you admire. It makes a warm fuzzy in their day.

Paula
Thanks!
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #145

1974 27' Overlander
Northern Cali , California
I've been living this way for nearly seven months and love it--I came to this forum because I would like to know more about my tiny home and hopefully fix things as affordably as possible.
mindy1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #146
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Hi Mindy!
Welcome!
I've been living fulltime in my Riveteer for two years now. (Wow,, how time flies.)
It has been and continues to be a learning experience. But I love it. I am stationary, and I think that has helped keep complications to a minimum.

You will find a wealth of information and help via this forum.

Good luck!
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #147
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Well, we read, we prepared, we left! And we have no plans to stop full-timing.
Thanks for all the great information from all you experienced silver sailors!
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #148

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love it when full timers share their experience. It gives me dreams about doing the same thing myself someday! So when you take off on your adventures, don't forget to write!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #149
1 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Princeton , Indiana
i probably fall into that category i have been on here for a while i am almost full time i asked a lot of questions so i could get started i am a construction superintendent i have been living in mine for two years now except the odd weekends when i go home to see the grandkids when i started i wanted a 31 footer but i come across a 26 at a really good price so i got it i thought it was going to be too small but after 2 years i have grown to love it my wife and i sometimes talk about getting a bigger one like a 31 but we like the way our 26 pulls size was the big question we had before starting but we had already been campers just not full timers and we still have the benefit of owning a home that may have some psycological impact on some that we don't have cause we can always go home.
winter is the worst though when your tied down to a single location we dealt with subzero temps and almost 2 months of below freezing temps this year it makes it rough and it is easy for one to go stir crazy. i admit it broke us a bit this year we had to leave and go to Florida for a week to warm up about 2/3 of the way through the winter.
we look forward to being nomadic though when i finally retire and just following that nice warm climate around the country.

thanks to all the people who post on here though cause with out this reference material i may still be living in an apartment when i was out of town and hateing life.
theelfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
ElfStar,
I think your post will be very helpful to those pondering fulltiming and/or what size to get.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #151
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Campbell , California
Took the second step towards full-timing last weekend (we'dalready visited a rally). Now we've spent a weekend in a 2006 26-ft Flying Cloud at the Santa Cruz/Monterey KOA (they have six of these for rent in the campground). Had a blast and we're looking forward to spending a week there in future.

Also, DH said we should start looking for our own trailer two years before he retires, instead of the one year I'd expected. I am a happy Still-Looker, just frustrated we can't do it now now now!
mykabyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #152
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Lakeland , Florida
This is how we started. This month has been one year full-timing. We knew nothing about RVing except, we knew we wanted to do this. Thank God for this forum, very kind, and knowledgable people. Their are still good people in this world.
Freedomrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #153
WS9F

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Crestview , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
And, "most" seem to want to hang on to an old house no longer suited the number and age of people living in it. This is where the rubber hits the road. No house is an investment, they are emotional crutches. Until someone kicks that away they cannot, IMO, "see" their way clear . . and forget, too, that they'll eventually have to move out of it anyway.

Better sooner than later, Fulltime RV'er or no.

Sage advice as all dwellings are temporary except the grave.

We just celebrated our second year living in our Flying Cloud.
m50finlayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #154
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Last year, despite getting old and there being only 2 of us, we bought an even bigger house. Now I have stay alive another 20 or more years to make out ok on our "investment". Then I'll move, probably into an urn. We like a big house. It has great views, is close to the city (20 minutes) but rural, has a giant workshop in the basement, lots of room for visitors, no grass to take care of (lots of sagebrush and rocks), big kitchen for the gourmet cook. Couldn't pass up the crutch. And now we get to remodel it and make it special for us. A major remodel is creating a work of art, worth it in itself. We love traveling, but need a home to come back to. Of course, restoring a trailer is also creating a work of art, one Slowmover has done before and I think is doing now. Fulltiming is not for everyone and in a townhouse, apartment or city condo we would feel constrained. Then we'd be running away from "home" when we traveled (and probably have no place to park our trailer when home).

But I agree that real estate is often a poor investment. Houses may have increased in value every year for decades (until 2008), but it was rare they did anything more than keep up with inflation. Some people invest in rental properties, but forget the rent must cover maintenance, months it is empty, the costs of bad tenants, and the costs of a mortgage or if they paid cash, how much more than can make investing the money elsewhere.

I admire people who happily fulltime. It sounds like a great life (especially when you are relatively young and can't afford it), but it is not for many of us.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #155
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Ouray , Colorado
Due to unseen circumstances, we entered the AS full-timing category by opportunity. Sold the home after 13 years, to move to another state, and the job then went poof. What a great opportunity to fulltime for a while, until our baby boy is due in August. Then with 2 retrievers, baby, and us, will the AS still be large enough for FT?

We are "between" brick homes as long as we are enjoying the adventure. Traveling is allowing us to determine where we want to buy a home again. Oregon, Colorado, Texas, Arizona, California, Carolina, Tennessee.....

The last 8 months have been great. 25K miles, stories, strengthening our relationship with ourselves, family, friends, sites, memories- just not sure when to settle back to the corporate grind again
jasperkins is offline   Reply With Quote