Old 08-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
The germination of a dream...

The wife and I are thinking of making the jump from a safe life in a small apartment to life on the road in an Airstream. We will have a limited operating budget ($1200/mo from a rental property) with savings in emergencies, along with a plan to find work on the road here and there. We are total noobs and so our first question is whether it's unrealistic to think a couple (48 & 55 yo), who are not large people, can full-time it in a Bambi 20-footer? We plan on exploring mainly Colorado, and perhaps Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho to find a town to settle down in a small house on the market or pre-fab house. I'm also curious to know what would be a good towing vehicle.

We like to spend most of our time outdoors camping, hiking, and fishing so we think we won't suffer from cabin fever as readily but perhaps we're naive. This is my first post and hope to learn a lot from your community. We'd sure appreciate hearing from any couples that are full-timing in an AS that small.

westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Your journey begins with knowledge. Check out some Fulltime RV groups..."escapees" is one. This will be a good source to begin.

Any trailer will need maintenance. Prepare.

How much have you lived in an RV?

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1976 25' Tradewind
LaPorte , Indiana
Me and my wife started full timing 2 months ago. We sold the house and are debt free (a very nice felling). We are living on my parents 7 acres in a 1970 safari 23 ft. We are fixing up a 76 tradewind 25 ft to travel in. The safari has a lot of open interior space so I'm not running into my wife all the time but it lacks a full bath and the couch has to be made into a bed every night. The tradewind will have a full bath and two full time twin beds. The original cabinet in the trailer made the kitchen/living room feel cramped, so we are making the new cabinet layout similar to the safari to give a more open feel. I think getting everything just the way we want it is going to make living on the road very comfortable. I would say go for it. I don't think a small trailer is a problem, if you like the outdoors you have lots of space. I would be more worried about the layout and if it had the creature comforts you wanted. Good luck! Come on in the waters fine.
daschus is offline   Reply With Quote