Old 06-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hello,

We finished putting in the carpet, and I redid the tiles in the bathroom. Terry took the toilet out and I was able to fit them better. I also cleaned the excess glue off the floor using goo gone and it worked very well. Came home and took shower with goo gone and got it off me!!

I started repairing the trim molding (woodgrain stuff) using a secret item and it looks pretty good. Actually the truth be known, another forum member told me to get contact paper and use it, and that's what I did. So much for a secret item!!! Readily available at home depot.

Tomorrow morning we will be hanging curtains, and putting the gaucho cover on. I also need to cover the side boards on the wall over the beds. We are taking Bertha out next weekend to help elderly friends of ours learn how to operate and take care of the sob motor home they are buying from another friend!!

Well need to feed animals and get our dinner ready.

Marie

Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #86
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I think I should update everybody on what I've been doing the last few days. I crawled inside the kitchen counter, and jacked up the part nearest the outer wall, where it was sagging. It turns out the mounting screws from the countertop to the wall had backed out of the wall over time, and allowed the counter to sag. While I will have to remove the stove to permanently fix this, I was able to shore it up so it will no longer sag until we replace the stove with a piezio-ignited version. I also removed the center bulkhead wall where the oven/convection oven were located, and straightened that as well. It no longer has a curious tilt to the left, and mates with the inner wall skin like it should. I also installed three underbed tambours (what a pain that was), and installed a new flourescent light fixture over the sink area, remounted the shelf in the water heater housing cabinet, shored up the plywood base for the beds, and remounted the bedroom mounted TV slightly lower. I originally mounted the TV 4" too high to open the blanket locker, it would come down on the TV, and hit the power switch. I also installed new window bar holders in one of the windows in the living room, and as soon as I find the other pair, I will use them to repair the bathroom window.
Our little Honda generator has been a lifesaver, running all day when we are out working on Bertha, keeping fans and chargers for the cordless drills and other battery popwered devices working. While not big enough to run the air conditioner, it is small enough to be carried back to the storage room daily, and do it on 1/2 gallon of gas per day.
I keep forgetting to bring the camera along to document the progress on Bertha, I'll do my best to take it along, and post some before and after pics tomorrow night.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #87
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Sounds like you two have been busy. It is a lot of work to get the campers ready to camp, I can only imagine what we would have to do if we planned on living in it. Even though, I would do it in a heartbeat if I could talk my husband in it. Have sewing machine, will travel! Cant wait to see pictures of all the things you are doing to Bertha. I have to admit I am an avid Terry and Marie groupie. I check daily for progress reports! You two are an inspiration after all you have been through. Keep up the good work amd I will check back tomorrow for my daily fix!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Hey Terry,

Put your camera in one of your shoes! We would love to see your progress and those pics would make a nice memory album of your new adventure!

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:19 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
Hey Terry,

Put your camera in one of your shoes! We would love to see your progress and those pics would make a nice memory album of your new adventure!

sue
Sue,

We tried putting the camera in his shoe, but he couldn't get his foot in it!!!!

It's in my purse.

Marie
Old 06-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #90
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The eagerly anticipated photos

Here are the photos of the inside of Bertha. I'll see if I can post before and after photos side by side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 047.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	39299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 260.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	39300  

Name:	Picture 181.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	39301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 252.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	39302  

Name:	Picture 054.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	39303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 262.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	39304  

Name:	Picture 167.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	39305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 253.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	39306  

Old 06-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #91
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
More pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 263.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	39307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 249.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	39308  

Name:	Picture 259.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	39309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 248.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	39310  

Name:	Picture 255.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	39311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 256.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	39312  

Name:	Picture 258.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	39313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 261.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	39314  

Name:	Picture 265.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	39315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 264.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	39316  

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Oh, wow you guys, Bertha looks GREAT! I know you are busting your butts on it and it certainly shows it!

If you get through Arkansas way, you are welcome to stay here! We have a guest room and power/water hookups, and the RV dump is about 11 miles away at the truck stop. We're about 25 miles south of Little Rock--PM me any time if you would like directions!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good evening,

As you can see, this has been a very busy week. I have to tell you, Tammy, silver threads, did an absolute wonderful job on the gaucho cover and the curtains. Fit was perfect and craftmanship was very professional.

Bertha looks so nice I can't wait to start full timing!!

Marie
Old 06-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #94
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Oh, here's one more picture. This is a street sign on the road leading to the storage lot where Bertha currently resides. We think it's fitting:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 235.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	39317  
Old 06-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Looking good!

Lookin real good there T&M. I've been keeping up. Good to hear you're getting around better.

Say...was that a 1 or 2 brick unvented gas heater I saw? I have used those things in my house for a long time. Didn't think about putting one in the camper. They're great to knock the chill off in the house. I'll bet one would heat a whole camper just fine.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #96
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63

Say...was that a 1 or 2 brick unvented gas heater I saw? I have used those things in my house for a long time. Didn't think about putting one in the camper. They're great to knock the chill off in the house. I'll bet one would heat a whole camper just fine.
The catalytic heater has 2 ceramic elements. That one should keep Bertha nice and toasty this winter, a good thing because the furnace has been unhooked. I don't know why (haven't tried it), but I am betting it is for a good reason.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #97
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Cool (pun)

Let me know how that works out. Those things are way simpler to install and operate than a furnace. (I should say a 44 year old furnace that I haven't tried yet). If you're lucky, you can find one with a built in thermostat. Put a small desktop fan pointed toward the back to circulate and you'll have no trouble staying warm. I may check into one for bigeasy this fall.

(Although, I can't figure out why you would need one in South America where you live. Maybe you're planning to travel north.)

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #98
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasy63
If you're lucky, you can find one with a built in thermostat. Put a small desktop fan pointed toward the back to circulate and you'll have no trouble staying warm. I may check into one for bigeasy this fall.

(Although, I can't figure out why you would need one in South America where you live. Maybe you're planning to travel north.)
It has three temp settings, hot, hotter, and blast furnace. We are planning to go North for this winter, although North to us is anything North of Miami...

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel