Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #911
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
running gear balance? sorry, andy made me say it.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #912
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
... The deadbolt only locks in the morning. If I lock the door before noon, it locks like it should. If I wait until 3 PM, the deadbolt won't go into the door.
Its an operator problem. Lets see, 3pm on west coast is cocktail hour on east coast.
You just haven't switched time zones yet Terry.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #913
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
And now, the rear Fantastic installation...
And I didn't fall off the ladder!
I pulled up to install the rear Fantastic, and noticed the motor home on one side of Bertha was not there, so I had an area to place the ladder (yay!). It made it a lot easier to climb while carrying stuff.
I went up, removed the Maxx-Air vent cover, then the SolarDome cover I got from Inland Andy a couple of years ago, then took a sharp chisel and hammer to the rivets holding the old OEM vent in place. After I got the rivets off, I gently pried the vent out of hte hole, and left it on the roof temporarily. I then went inside and removed the inside vent cover/light fixture, and inner vent screen. The I unplugged the light fixture, and stuck it in a box.
I went back up on the roof, and lowered the vent, and took my tin snips to the radiused corners of the vent hole. The Fantastic has square corners, and the old vent had rounded corners. I learned long ago you can't fit a square vent in a round hole. I also found out the old vent is slightly smaller than 14" square, so I had to do a little judicous trimming of the roof to get the Fantastic to drop into the hole. I laid down a good bead of Vulkem, dropped the Fantastic in, and screwed it to the roof. Next, I went inside, and performed the same trimming I did on the roof to the ceiling panel. I wired the positive wire from the trailer to the black power wire on the Fantastic, and ran a new ground wire from the white lead on the Fantastic to a spot on the ceiling panel that would be covered by the interior garnish. I installed the garnish, and tried the fan. Success! It was then I noticed it was kind of dark in that area, a situation I commented on before. Since I didn't have the single tube flourescent light fixture I wanted to put there, I scrounged up a small two tube light, and fudged it into place. It doesn't look bad, but I feel it looks "rigged", so it will probably get replaced with a more suitable fixture as finances allow. Here are a couple of photos of the latest project:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	81377   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	81378  

Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #914
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Look super, Terry. I've never seen a Fantastic fan up close, but I gather from your photos that even the outer cover on it is clear? What a great idea, lets light in all the time.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #915
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Look super, Terry. I've never seen a Fantastic fan up close, but I gather from your photos that even the outer cover on it is clear? What a great idea, lets light in all the time.
The cover is smoke grey. There are several colors to choose from, in both flat and domed shapes. You can get solid white, transluscent white, solid grey (flat) and smoke grey. The sun was so bright, it looks like there is no cover in the photos.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #916
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks very nice, and we are always impressed with the technological expertise of the DIY folks on this forum. We are learning, however, and are pleased with our DIY progress. We have a Fantastic Fan, like it fine.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #917
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Another temporary repair permanently repaired.

As those who have been following our misadventures from the beginning, we had a problem with bertha's OEM Armstrong air conditioner way back (blow the dust off some of the older posts, and you'll find the description, or just click this link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=106 .
I made a temporary repair, which, surprisingly, has worked up till now: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=110 .

I've managed to acquire a slightly used Dometic Penguin a/c, with drain pan (needed some minor repairs), and decided to swap it with the Armstrong unit. Even though the Armstrong is still working, it is:
1- only 12,000 btu, not nearly enough for 100+ degree heat here in California, and
2- the Armstrong sounds like an idling big rig when running.

So, we loaded up Bertha and the newsed air conditioner, and drove to a friend's house, where they, coincidentally, also have a 1970's Sovereign with a 12,000 btu Armstrong air conditioner they have decided to replace. They, however, were able to afford a new Carrier 15,000 btu unit.
When we got to their house, and climbed on Bertha's roof, I made an important discovery, and remembered something I'd forgotten...The discovery is, the air conditioner on Bertha is NOT the original, even though it is an OEM unit. It had been replaced, and the new unit had been secured by screws and glue. This may be one of the spots the roof was leaking from, even though I couldn't see anywhere it may have been leaking. The second thing, which I rediscovered, is it gets very hot on the roof in direct sunlight. Marie says the burns should heal in a few days...
I remembered back when we had our Argosy, with the white-painted roof, how much cooler it was inside than a comparable Airstream when we were rallying. It was nearly 20 degrees cooler than a neighboring Globetrotter. And our roof leaks, from somewhere. (picture in your mind rusty wheels and gears slowly grinding into motion) So, I performed the sacrilige or slathering a gallon of white koolseal on the roof of Bertha, and was rewarded with an immediate 10 degree drop in temperature. The area I painted was equivalent to the area that Airstream currently paints their new coaches white, namely the center roof panel. After I did this, we went and removed the old Armstrong and installed the new Carrier on our friends' Sovereign while the paint was drying. Theirs had never been off, as evidenced by the seemingly hundreds of rivets securing theirs to the roof. After emulating cats on a hot tin roof, we got their old on off, and their new one on, hooked it up, and had it running.
By the time we got done with that, and eating lunch, the Koolseal was dry on Bertha, so we installed the Penguin on ours. Installation was pretty straightforward on both, requiring only a couple of 2x4's to brace the roofs, and keep the new units from crushing them.
Here are a few photos, of both trailers, as well as our latest victim, uhh, sucker, umm, volunteer...Yeah, that's it, volunteer! Seriously, he is our friends' kid, and by his helping, he saved the rest of us from keeling over with heat stroke. Thanks! Maybe they can rent him out for other Airstream projects...

The last two photos are of Bertha's "newsed" air conditioner:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air swap 001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	83418   Click image for larger version

Name:	air swap 002.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	83419  

Name:	air swap 003.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	83420   Click image for larger version

Name:	air swap 004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	83421  

Name:	air swap 005.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	83422   Click image for larger version

Name:	air swap 006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	83423  

Name:	air swap 007.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	83424   Click image for larger version

Name:	air swap 008.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	83425  

Name:	air swap 010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	83427   Click image for larger version

Name:	air swap 011.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	83428  

Old 07-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #918
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Very cool

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #919
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Very cool
Yes it is!

Especially since we are planning a trip to Yosemite in the middle of August! Never been there so it seemed like the thing to do.

Can't wait, need a few days to clear cobwebs and relax.

Marie
Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #920
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
What a day, 95 degrees

Quote:
As those who have been following our misadventures from the beginning, we had a problem with bertha's OEM Armstrong air conditioner way back (blow the dust off some of the older posts, and you'll find the description, or just click this link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=106 .
I made a temporary repair, which, surprisingly, has worked up till now: http://www.airforums.com/forums/show...&postcount=110 .

I've managed to acquire a slightly used Dometic Penguin a/c, with drain pan (needed some minor repairs), and decided to swap it with the Armstrong unit. Even though the Armstrong is still working, it is:
1- only 12,000 btu, not nearly enough for 100+ degree heat here in California, and
2- the Armstrong sounds like an idling big rig when running.

So, we loaded up Bertha and the newsed air conditioner, and drove to a friend's house, where they, coincidentally, also have a 1970's Sovereign with a 12,000 btu Armstrong air conditioner they have decided to replace. They, however, were able to afford a new Carrier 15,000 btu unit.
When we got to their house, and climbed on Bertha's roof, I made an important discovery, and remembered something I'd forgotten...The discovery is, the air conditioner on Bertha is NOT the original, even though it is an OEM unit. It had been replaced, and the new unit had been secured by screws and glue. This may be one of the spots the roof was leaking from, even though I couldn't see anywhere it may have been leaking. The second thing, which I rediscovered, is it gets very hot on the roof in direct sunlight. Marie says the burns should heal in a few days...
I remembered back when we had our Argosy, with the white-painted roof, how much cooler it was inside than a comparable Airstream when we were rallying. It was nearly 20 degrees cooler than a neighboring Globetrotter. And our roof leaks, from somewhere. (picture in your mind rusty wheels and gears slowly grinding into motion) So, I performed the sacrilige or slathering a gallon of white koolseal on the roof of Bertha, and was rewarded with an immediate 10 degree drop in temperature. The area I painted was equivalent to the area that Airstream currently paints their new coaches white, namely the center roof panel. After I did this, we went and removed the old Armstrong and installed the new Carrier on our friends' Sovereign while the paint was drying. Theirs had never been off, as evidenced by the seemingly hundreds of rivets securing theirs to the roof. After emulating cats on a hot tin roof, we got their old on off, and their new one on, hooked it up, and had it running.
By the time we got done with that, and eating lunch, the Koolseal was dry on Bertha, so we installed the Penguin on ours. Installation was pretty straightforward on both, requiring only a couple of 2x4's to brace the roofs, and keep the new units from crushing them.
Here are a few photos, of both trailers, as well as our latest victim, uhh, sucker, umm, volunteer...Yeah, that's it, volunteer! Seriously, he is our friends' kid, and by his helping, he saved the rest of us from keeling over with heat stroke. Thanks! Maybe they can rent him out for other Airstream projects...

The last two photos are of Bertha's "newsed" air conditioner:
Hey guys,

Great pics. Thanks for all the help on the A/C job. It's a good thing we had Stephen (17 years young) to be your apprentice. He learned a lot from helping Terry & Steve out. We'll have to plan more future projects to do, but maybe when the weather cools down . FYI: we will be doing a spacer like the one that "Adonh aka Don" did. See link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...n-40590-2.html post #25.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #921
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looks like ACs have been a "burning topic" lately. Glad you both got yours in.

I put a Fantastic Fan in my Excella's bedroom recently. I got the new lights yesterday to replace the ones in the original vent cover. When I get them installed I will post pics so we can compare to your installation, Terry.

The lights (19" slimline 12 volt Fluorescent Light, 8 w, RV Camper:eBay Motors (item 260247367146 end time Jul-27-09 17:50:45 PDT)) found on ebay came from:

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

e-mail: paul@NeedaTrailer.com

I spoke to Paul when I ordered, and am pleased to report that he is as nice a guy as he looks in his photo.

I am very pleased with them on initial inspection. They are made by Progressive Dynamics (PD220 Series Fluorescent Light Fixture), the INTELI-POWER people.

Hello to Marie and Sophie, too.

Also hello to Mary and her Steves. Looks like everyone is keeping cool now.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #922
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

I put a Fantastic Fan in my Excella's bedroom recently. I got the new lights yesterday to replace the ones in the original vent cover. When I get them installed I will post pics so we can compare to your installation, Terry.

The lights (19" slimline 12 volt Fluorescent Light, 8 w, RV Camper:eBay Motors (item 260247367146 end time Jul-27-09 17:50:45 PDT)) found on ebay came from:

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

I spoke to Paul when I ordered, and am pleased to report that he is as nice a guy as he looks in his photo.

I am very pleased with them on initial inspection. They are made by Progressive Dynamics (PD220 Series Fluorescent Light Fixture), the INTELI-POWER people.

Vaughan, your lights look better than the one I had to use. I hope I'll be able to afford something better after we recover a bit. Right now, the cheaper the better, and using something we already had was about as cheap as it gets.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #923
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Vaughan, your lights look better than the one I had to use. I hope I'll be able to afford something better after we recover a bit. Right now, the cheaper the better, and using something we already had was about as cheap as it gets.
Terry, these are the ones I saw too and was thinking of using in the bed wall lights. I think they will just fit.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

http://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #924
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

Hello to you to Vaughn. Sophie sends a bark your way.

As for the lights, is this where we all sing "you light up my life"?

Marie

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel