Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #897
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by elolson View Post
I
Just a bystander question, back on the welding pics, the framing still seemed pretty rusty, did you treat it with anything before putting the floor back on or is it OK the way it is?
Thanks,
E
The frame will have to be revisited later, and treated and reinforced. There is a crossmember shown in the photos I was not able to do anything with, and the bottom edge will have to be replaced. I can get them from beneath, when I replace that section of belly pan. I didn't want to leave the trailer disassembled any longer than it had to be.
We went over some pretty rugged roads, for a total of 550 miles, round trip, with no problem in the frame area, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore that part of the trailer.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #898
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
What a cute puppy! We had a lab like that a few years back. He was the best dog. Brought us the paper every morning. RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
What is amazing is how they take it all in stride!!!!!

Welcome to California....Marie, Terry, and Sophie!

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #899
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bertha Lives!

I was very happy notice some new posts on this thread, and find that she's been brought back from the brink. Shine her up and SHOW those West Coasters what an Eastern Airstream can be!

Did Sophie go to Pismo with you two? I bet she's glad to see the Airstream back in commission too.

A neighbor ran into the same situation with the "new" 3/4 plywood doing a patch around the door. He used scrap metal (a piece of an old "gorilla shelf" as a shim between the frame members and the bottom of the plywood. This was "L" shaped and had holes to hang the adjustable shelf rails on, so it didn't interfere with putting in carriage bolts, and if the floor alignment isn't perfect, it's ridiculously close. BTW he has the aluminum tanks and didn't know they could be shined. I may have added to his chore list.

Paula
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #900
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Did Sophie go to Pismo with you two? I bet she's glad to see the Airstream back in commission too.

Paula
Indeed she did. Here is a photo of Marie and Sophie at the rally (Sophie is the one with 4 legs):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	80538  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #901
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Yes, Sophie had a great time at Pismo rally.

We are very happy to have brought Bertha back from the brink. We debated long and hard about what to do, and finally decided to go for it.
It was very hard work, but the end result was great. We worked every weekend for 6-8 weeks to do the job, and now she is back!

We plan on more outings to see the west coast, but it has to wait until.....Well it just has to. All good things in time.

Marie
Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #902
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congrats to you, Terry and Marie. Very gratifying to hear that your trailer gets a new lease on life!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #903
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
And now...

For the promised picture of the interior of Bertha, post repair:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	80780   Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	80781  

Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #904
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
"venting"

When we went to Pismo with Bertha, it rained a bit. Normally, it wouldn't be a problem, but this time I discovered a leak coming from the front Fantastic Vent. I put it on my list of things to fix, and today I decided to scratch it off the list. Several months ago, I got a 6600 Fantastic from another forums member, as he swapped out his 6600 for a Maxx Air vent. I decided to replace the 4000R that is located in the front living area of Bertha with the 6600. It was something of a challenge, as there are class A motor homes on both sides, but I was able to put the ladder up, against the window awning cover, and squirm up between Bertha and the motor home next to the trailer.
First, I removed the interior garnish from the ceiling, and snipped the two wires going to the 4000R.
Then I went on the roof, and removed the Maxx-Air vent cover, the mounting screws, and cut the Vulkem off the trailer, around the vent. I pulled the vent out of the hole, and lowered it through the hole, onto the gaucho. I then cleaned the roof where the old Vulkem and other gasket materials were, laid down a fresh bead of Vulkem, and dropped the new vent into the hole. The new Fantastic uses different mounting hole locations (naturally, doesn't everybody want an extra 24 holes in their roof?), so I screwed the new vent in place with new holes. I then ran a second bead of Vulkem around the perimeter of the vent, and smoothed the bead with a small putty knife. I climbed off the roof, cleaned up all the carnage, and went inside to finish wiring the Fantastic. It was a simple matter of a couple of connectors crimped in place, and re-attaching the inside garnish to the ceiling. Here are a couple of photos, if you didn't know better, you'd swear I knew what I was doing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	80782   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	80783  

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	80784   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	80785  

Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #905
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Now I have a Fantastic 4000R, with a brand-new motor to go in it (the other reason to remove the vent, the old motor was squealing like a stuck pig). I'm going to lop off the rear vent, and install the 4000R in the rear vent location. We'll then have three Fantastic Vents installed in Bertha. If we're not careful, the trailer may implode if I run all of them on "exhaust" at once.
I'm still working on what to do to take the place of the original lights around the rear vent. If I simply remove them, the dressing room area will be too dark. I am currently considering a single 8" fluorescent tube in a fixture, either in front or behind the vent. It should be more than ample light, but we'll be able to tell more after it's done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	80786  
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #906
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have been looking at these

Hi Terry,

I'm not ready to do Fantaxtics yet, but I have been considering the problem with the loss of lighting in my Excella. I have been considering the Mushroom Fixtures at Lighting. You'll have to scroll down a few to see the Mushroom Fixtures.

Best to Marie and Sophie.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #907
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thumbs up WooHOOO! Bertha's Back!

I'm just now catching up starting with the "Swiss cheese" frame unveiling. I'm absolutely amazed. You two are fortunate things didn't go south earlier. Bertha did right by you getting you as far out west as she could on her very last breath.

And now with your resuscitation efforts she's back on the road again. AWESOME! Even rallying. I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
. . . I hauled Bertha over, around, up down, and anywhere else I could think of for a torture test. Railroad tracks, dips, bumps, curves, even the 11% hill we found shortly after we got here. I was backing Bertha into her spot when Marie finally caught up...
. . . Other than a glitch in the GPS that had us leaving the main highway and going over and through the mountains from Santa Barbara to Los Olivos (reminded me of US 64 in Georgia, without as many trees), everything went well. . . .
Whoa, Terry . . . You believe in baptism by fire. Glad you and Marie are back in business with Bertha. Give Sophie a biscuit from me.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #908
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post

Whoa, Terry . . . You believe in baptism by fire.
If it was going to break, I wanted to know it NOW, not on mile 247 of a 500 mile trip. So far, so good, though Bertha now has a new trick to confound me... The deadbolt only locks in the morning. If I lock the door before noon, it locks like it should. If I wait until 3 PM, the deadbolt won't go into the door.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #909
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It's an early riser?

Is it facing the sun—expansion makes it not fit?

Take your pick of the answers.

Gene
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #910
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It's an early riser?

Is it facing the sun—expansion makes it not fit?

Take your pick of the answers.

Gene
The Sun rises to the right front corner, and sets to the left rear corner. It is shaded on the sides most of the day by the two monster class A's on either side. The lot is at a slight angle, grade-wise, with the right rear corner at the lowest point. It may be a combination of grade, Sun, new, thinner floor, or it may be just that Bertha is lonely...

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel