Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #961
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
The fulltiming adventure begins

(Hence, the reason we moved backed to California. Our old '73 Sovereign faired pretty well through that time and I was forever sold on the Alumidream.)
--------------------------------
I've heard that the Baha area down in Mexico is a great location for reasonable docking fees.

ENSENADA RV Parks and Camping Baja California Mexico
stanwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #962
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanwilder View Post
I've heard that the Baha area down in Mexico is a great location for reasonable docking fees.

ENSENADA RV Parks and Camping Baja California Mexico
We would love to spend some time in Mexico. My wife's brother lives down there too. I am just a little concerned about the crime in Baja; especially closer to the border. I wouldn't mind the surf though. Fresh seafood everyday is a perk not worth overlooking too.
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #963
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Orangevale , California
Wow, finally got through reading through this whole thread, what an adventure and inspiration! My wife and I are gearing up to full time and have been reading the forum for any and all sorts of information, what an incredible resource. Terry and Marie I wish you all the best in whereever your travels lead. Every so often we just need to take a leap to keep things from getting too complacent, it's about time now. The kids are out the house and while we are not retriement age, have things set up so that we can fit more traveling in and still keep our businesses running. Maybe it will lead to being on the road full time maybe not. The adventure and experience will be valuable no matter what.

So after reading about all the repairs that come and how easy they are to tackle I've got my Harbor Freight screwdrivers and vise grip and can't wait to tear into the engine and tranny along the freeway at 11PM.
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #964
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
miss the updates on sophie Also miss the adventures that you have had. I hope that all is well with you and yours I see where you have posted on other threads so I know you are still in the loop Again I miss you and wish you the very best

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #965
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Final Cruise

Most everyone know we have now lived in North Carolina for nearly 7 years, and have been still traveling with Bertha since we moved here. A couple of years ago, Marie suffered a stroke, and we have curtailed much of our traveling as an indirect result.
Over the course of the last year, I have come to realize such a large trailer is not something we need, when we go out three times a year. The maintenance requirements of a vintage trailer, as well as its size, are working against our using it more. With that in mind, We've reached the difficult decision that our trip to Alumalina last Fall will likely be the last one we take with Bertha. I've acquired a much newer, much smaller, hopefully easier to maintain trailer that will be more in line with how we now are able to camp.
I hooked Bertha up to the truck this morning, and pulled the trailer to the dealership where I work, to put it up for sale. It was a sobering moment, realizing we have had this trailer nearly 10 years, and put many miles and many adventures behind it, and us. At least we know it will be easily gotten ready for another camping season for its new owners, and has some upgrades I didn't add info on in this thread. Things like a set of Alcoa wheels, a Hensley Arrow hitch, and a pair of HD televisions. If anybody is interested, y'all can call the dealership, Out of Doors Mart, and ask about it.
With any luck, you can watch for us next Spring in our "new" 21' trailer.
See you down the road!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #966
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Best of luck to you and Marie, Terry.

Maggie
Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #967
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Terry, it was 2008 when I saw Bertha, Marie and yourself in CA....time certainly does fly doesn't it. I think you're making a smart decision with Bertha and hopefully someday we can meet up again. Richmond KY isn't that far from North Carolina

Take care, say hi to Marie for me and good luck with the sale of Bertha!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #968
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Happy trails

HAPPY TRAILS ... My Airstream Brother.
My 19' Bambi serves me well - thanks to You.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #969
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A quick update.
Bertha has been sold, and her new family picked her up, and took her off to Virginia, where she should have many more years ahead of her, as Lesa, the new owner, has plans for further rehab and use. I think there will be a little adjustment needed in perspective, as they currently have a 37' 5th wheel, with 3 slideouts. I hope it will be as interesting and entertaining for them, as it was for all of us.
I'll be starting a new thread about the "newsed" 1993 we now have. It's in pretty good shape overall, but will still need some work. See you there!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #970
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Good deal Terry!

Post the link to your new thread here so I can find it

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #971
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Happy camping, Terry.

Enjoy your new baby.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #972
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A late update

It's been a while since I did anything on this thread, and I thought I'd give an update for those that may still be interested, and/or haven't seen or heard about life's events here.
This will be more of a one-spot update, some things may have been posted elsewhere.
First, in 2014, Marie suffered a serious stroke, and while she recovered enough to be somewhat mobile, things never were the same afterward for her. She lost about half the use of her left side, and walking and using her left hand became a challenge. We didn't let that stop us, though it did slow things down dramatically.
In March of 2015, my brother suddenly passed away. He used to "help" with our trailer repairs/renovations, and even though some times his help was more like being helped by a 5 year old, he other times was a big help--if for nothing other than holding the "dummy end" of the tape measure. Obviously, even after all this time, I still miss him.
Around 2019, Marie suffered kidney failure, and was forced to begin dialysis, with me as her at-home dialysis tech. At work, things kept getting busier, eating into the rapidly dwindling "trailer time" available, and hauling Marie's dialysis supplies with us when we went camping was--cumbersome. We had to make sure we had 30 amp power wherever we went, especially after Marie was forced to begin using oxygen at home.
In 2020, everything stopped because of covid, and I came to the sad realization my camping partners, Marie and Sophie, and I were not going to be using the Airstream any more. Add to that Sophie was beginning to suffer more and more from debilitating arthritis and advancing canine dementia. I made the gut-wrenching decision to sell the Airstream and truck, and use the proceeds to help pay for some of Marie's rapidly escalating medical expenses.
In July of 2020, Marie's son suffered a heart attack, and since he and his wife lived in Florida, we couldn't do much from 700 miles away except worry.
In August of 2021 his wife passed away suddenly, leaving him with no close relatives, and still 700 miles away.
In November of 2021, the company I'd worked for well over a decade at was sold to a large conglomerate. With Marie and Sophie needing more and more care, the new work routine quickly became an issue, since the work increased by nearly 4x, but the staff didn't.
In January 2022, We were forced to make yet another heart-breaking decision, and have Sophie put to sleep. She was at the point she could barely walk, couldn't go up or down any steps, and had to be lifted in and out of bed. Her dementia had progressed to the point she no longer knew where "out" was, or even that there was an "out" to do her business. This was something I had put off far, far too long, because even though I'm not psychic, I knew that keeping after Sophie was about the only thing keeping Marie going. I hate being right about these things...
In February, I made the decision to leave ODM, which was no longer ODM, and go to the last independent RV dealer in the area. If you're in central NC or SC, and are looking for an SOB, I'd recommend them. The place is called Country Roads.
In March, my concerns came true, when Marie suffered a major heart attack while her son was up visiting from Florida. This was something she never recovered from.
Marie did come home briefly, for 4 days in late March, and we were able to be with each other for a while at home.
Unfortunately, this was very temporary, and she returned to the hospital, and never made it home again.
While Marie was home those four days, it became clear that, no matter how much I wanted, her deteriorating condition was rapidly progressing past my ability to care for her at home. When she was released from the hospital again, it was to a skilled nursing facility.
Marie passed away in that facility on April 29th. The consensus at the facility was she had suffered another stroke in her sleep, and stopped breathing.
All this left her son alone in Florida, and me alone in North Carolina. Since he had relatively recently purchased a house in Florida, it made more sense for me to make a move back.
So, as of a month ago, I am back to roughly were our fulltiming adventure began in West Central Florida, near Tampa, 5 miles from the RV park we began fulltiming in earnest at.
I am again fulltiming, though this time in a large SOB fifth wheel. It has a lot more room than any of our Airstreams, and a lot more features, but--it isn't an Airstream.
Plans are just that, plans. and I remember it being said "Man plans. God laughs at those plans". But unless something dramatic happens, I think I'm here to stay, maybe not in a fifth wheel, but in this area.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #973
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear from you, Terry, and thanks for the update.

You have been thru a series of life crises, but sounds like you have found a place where you can find your feet again.

Being back in an area you and Marie were once in will be a mixed blessing, but may help you heal.

All the best to you, and remember that Marie and her love for you are still close, just not in her physical form.

Maggie
Old 12-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #974
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Terry,

I, like you, don't spend nearly as much time on the Forum, but I had wondered lately "where's Terry?" Now I know since I just saw this post. Much sad news and hope for your future as well. I can't imagine just how I would feel losing my companion, friend and love of almost 37 years, but I know it would be very hard.

Our Nash isn't an Airstream either, but Airstreams aren't for every camping use and since we travel much less, a slightly larger trailer works better for us now (and it doesn't leak!).

It has been a long trip since I joined in 2007, relatively young and full of energy at 67 with a brand new 2008 Airstream. Many miles and having visited every state (except Hawaii—waiting for the causeway) and Canadian province since 2000. My early days on the Forum where a lot more fun than the Forum of today. A lot of "old timers" like us have disappeared, some post infrequently and some carry on like Lily (I got so far behind on her threads I gave up trying to keep up).

In wish you the best in Florida.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #975
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hey Terry, please PM me with your new Florida phone number, or an email. We are only about 12 miles apart and I'd like to go to lunch with you. TR&R is having a luncheon on Jan 14 (reservations required) for Airstreamers and AirDreamers.
And my Eddie Haskill seems to be possessed by Satan. The light in the shower burned out... then as I was trying to figure out how to remove it without a hammer, it healed itself. The refrigerator went out again (language that would make a marine drill instructor get the vapours) and then after trying a dozen things started working on gas... then electric. And let's not even talk about a fan remote that turns power on and off randomly to the rear television. [emoji849]
I think there could.be.a.lot of side hustle work here, and I know of a nice 33 ft.classic that needs to stop sitting in storage being neglected.

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel