Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #921
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Looks like ACs have been a "burning topic" lately. Glad you both got yours in.

I put a Fantastic Fan in my Excella's bedroom recently. I got the new lights yesterday to replace the ones in the original vent cover. When I get them installed I will post pics so we can compare to your installation, Terry.

The lights (19" slimline 12 volt Fluorescent Light, 8 w, RV Camper:eBay Motors (item 260247367146 end time Jul-27-09 17:50:45 PDT)) found on ebay came from:

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

e-mail: paul@NeedaTrailer.com

I spoke to Paul when I ordered, and am pleased to report that he is as nice a guy as he looks in his photo.

I am very pleased with them on initial inspection. They are made by Progressive Dynamics (PD220 Series Fluorescent Light Fixture), the INTELI-POWER people.

Hello to Marie and Sophie, too.

Also hello to Mary and her Steves. Looks like everyone is keeping cool now.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #922
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post

I put a Fantastic Fan in my Excella's bedroom recently. I got the new lights yesterday to replace the ones in the original vent cover. When I get them installed I will post pics so we can compare to your installation, Terry.

The lights (19" slimline 12 volt Fluorescent Light, 8 w, RV Camper:eBay Motors (item 260247367146 end time Jul-27-09 17:50:45 PDT)) found on ebay came from:

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

I spoke to Paul when I ordered, and am pleased to report that he is as nice a guy as he looks in his photo.

I am very pleased with them on initial inspection. They are made by Progressive Dynamics (PD220 Series Fluorescent Light Fixture), the INTELI-POWER people.

Vaughan, your lights look better than the one I had to use. I hope I'll be able to afford something better after we recover a bit. Right now, the cheaper the better, and using something we already had was about as cheap as it gets.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 PM   #923
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Vaughan, your lights look better than the one I had to use. I hope I'll be able to afford something better after we recover a bit. Right now, the cheaper the better, and using something we already had was about as cheap as it gets.
Terry, these are the ones I saw too and was thinking of using in the bed wall lights. I think they will just fit.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #924
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

R and P Carriages
431 N Main St.
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

Hello to you to Vaughn. Sophie sends a bark your way.

As for the lights, is this where we all sing "you light up my life"?

Marie
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #925
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Photos of FF & Lights

I got the lights installed yesterday and here are a few photos of them installed. The switch is toward the front. These include lights on and off and one with the vent open. It is one of the opaque gray lids that VTS sells. The last photo is one of the lights with the template I made to facilitate installation. The dark circle on the lower right of the template is where the wires go through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF-&-Lights-1-DSC01023.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	83865   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF-&-Lights-3-DSC01029.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	83866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FF-&-Lights-4-DSC01035.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	83867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light-&-Template-1-DSC01021.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	83868  

Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #926
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Geez, a new AC and the only way to test it is to run to Cleburne Texas? Now THAT is a die hard product evaluator

Good travels...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #927
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Geez, a new AC and the only way to test it is to run to Cleburne Texas? Now THAT is a die hard product evaluator

Good travels...
I had to find SOMEplace with humidity to make sure the drain tube worked...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #928
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Welcome to fulltiming. We are in our second year of living in a 1980 31' Excella. Can't help you much with the restoration project but, can recommend where to hook up. Our summer home is the Penn Wood Airstream Park in Limestone, PA. We absolutely love the area, the park, and especially the Airstreamers here. For winter, you might want to consider Campers Holiday which is seven miles from TR and half the price. Happy travels...
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #929
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I had to find SOMEplace with humidity to make sure the drain tube worked...
That outta doer alright.

Have a good trip!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #930
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Look super, Terry. I've never seen a Fantastic fan up close, but I gather from your photos that even the outer cover on it is clear? What a great idea, lets light in all the time.
Which isn't always a good thing...like when you either want to sleep in past the crack of dawn or you are parked under a campground/WalMart street light. Our '64 has the smoke lense, it's right over our bed so when we got Fantastic Fans for our '56 we went with the solid ones instead. When we get back to re-doing some things on our '64 next year, changing out the Fantastic Fan to the solid cover-type is one of the things on the list. Besides, the solid gray ones are flat rather than domed and look a lot like the original Hehr vents on vintage rigs. Unfortunately, the gray version wasn't available when we our '64 the first time...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #931
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Which isn't always a good thing...like when you either want to sleep in past the crack of dawn or you are parked under a campground/WalMart street light. Our '64 has the smoke lense, it's right over our bed so when we got Fantastic Fans for our '56 we went with the solid ones instead. When we get back to re-doing some things on our '64 next year, changing out the Fantastic Fan to the solid cover-type is one of the things on the list. Besides, the solid gray ones are flat rather than domed and look a lot like the original Hehr vents on vintage rigs. Unfortunately, the gray version wasn't available when we our '64 the first time...

Shari
Hi Shari,

My sentiments exactly. I have been cursing the lights around me when the vent is open, but it's not all that bad. It can only come in from the open sides and the gray lid is perfectly opaque when closed.

Can you just get a replacement lid without having to do the entire vent?

Long term plans call for replacing the ones in front and in the middle with FFs that have the translucent white lids. The extra light in the living areas will be fine. Also the white will keep it from being like an open window, reducing glare while providing light.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #932
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Hi Shari,

My sentiments exactly. I have been cursing the lights around me when the vent is open, but it's not all that bad. It can only come in from the open sides and the gray lid is perfectly opaque when closed.

Can you just get a replacement lid without having to do the entire vent?

Long term plans call for replacing the ones in front and in the middle with FFs that have the translucent white lids. The extra light in the living areas will be fine. Also the white will keep it from being like an open window, reducing glare while providing light.
You can get replacement covers direct from Fantastic. A caveat, however: In order to use the flat cover, you have to have the low-profile motor, for obvious reasons.
I like the smoke covers, they let a lot of light in during the day, without a lot of heat, and allow us to use less lights in late evening/early morning, which cuts down on power consumption and heat generation. Of course, not everyone is as stingy as me, and may prefer the vintage look over additional light. Oh, and all the vents are outside the bedroom area, so if we really wanted to, we could close doors to cut off light intrusion.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #933
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you purchase the Fantastic Fan with the flat lid, you can retro fit the old aluminum lid and you will have a vintage look with the modern fan. Herb Spies wrote and article in last years Vintage Advantage on how to use the aluminum lid.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #934
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
You can get replacement covers direct from Fantastic. A caveat, however: In order to use the flat cover, you have to have the low-profile motor, for obvious reasons.
I like the smoke covers, they let a lot of light in during the day, without a lot of heat, and allow us to use less lights in late evening/early morning, which cuts down on power consumption and heat generation. Of course, not everyone is as stingy as me, and may prefer the vintage look over additional light. Oh, and all the vents are outside the bedroom area, so if we really wanted to, we could close doors to cut off light intrusion.
Hi Terry,

Makes perfect sense to me. In my case, the one I have installed now is directly over the front edge of the (sidewinder full size) bed. That one got replaced first because the original vent sounded like a rock crusher!

I didn't even think about the standard vs low profile motor (also makes perfect sense) because I had only looked at Fantastic Vents from below in the past. The opaque lid was essential to me in the bedroom.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #935
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield

That one got replaced first because the original vent sounded like a rock crusher!
The powered vent in our living room also got replaced because it sounded like a dog with tin cans tied to its tail. If you have the pancake-style motor, the flat lid will go right on. If you have the high-profile, like we do in all 3 of ours, you'll need the domed lid, or replace the motor. AFAIK, the domed lid is only available in smoke, white (solid), and white (translucent).
Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #936
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
One year in California

Today marks the end of our first year in California. We've met a lot of new people, made many new friends, and both Marie and I have embarked on careers we hadn't considered when we came out here. We've moved out of Bertha, and into an apartment, which is probably a good thing, considering the summer temperatures we've seen since we've been here.
The B van died a horrible death a couple of months ago, and we've had to replace it with something that will, we hope, be more suited to our needs. More on that in a later post. Bertha now sports a repaired frame, and seems sound, though we are keeping our eyes open for a trailer without the frame rust issues. We found the reason the truck ran hot while towing Bertha, it was simply a bad fan clutch. That has been replaced, and there have been no further instances of overheating.
Sophie seems to enjoy staying home, it's much less stressful for her, though she is very happy to see whichever of us gets home first. She also has made several new friends, and, though it's hard to tell, she doesn't seem to miss her old ones very much. Maybe if she could talk, we'd know for sure.
There is a lot of things to do here, and maybe someday we'll get to do more of them, but for now we're still working to get ourselves dug out of the hole we got in a couple of years ago when I got hurt. We just need to keep focusing on the future, and not dwell on the past. The windshield is bigger than the rear-view mirror for a reason.

For those of you that have given us your support and good thoughts, thank you, especially the Forums members we met last Thursday in our "command performance". We were introduced, and I promptly forgot who they were... They say the memory is the second thing to go, I've forgotten what the first thing is.
Hopefully things will continue to improve throughout the next year, we may even get to attend a few rallies.

Terry

(No Longer at Inland RV)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #937
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Wow, has it been a year already. You have seen some of our seasons, fire and drought, but missed flood, maybe this winter you will see that season.

We will get together with you, Marie and Sophie again soon.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #938
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Wow, has it been a year already.
Bill
Yes, it seems like only about 12 months...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #939
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Checking out of the Hotel California

After a year and a half in California, and meeting a lot of great people, and seeing a lot of cool stuff, I've been offered a position with an Airstream dealer back East.
While I can't go into the reasons why I felt a move back was necessary, we feel this is a really good opportunity, and we look forward to living and working here. The people are more laid back, more outgoing, and don't seem to be "out to get you".
Tentatively, I'll be working in the service department of Out Of Doors Mart, and try to fill some holes in their staff. If any of y'all want your trailer or motor home "fixed on", come by and see us/me there.
I'll be posting about our trip there in upcoming installments...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #940
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
After a year and a half in California, and meeting a lot of great people, and seeing a lot of cool stuff, I've been offered a position with an Airstream dealer back East.
While I can't go into the reasons why I felt a move back was necessary, we feel this is a really good opportunity, and we look forward to living and working here. The people are more laid back, more outgoing, and don't seem to be "out to get you".
Tentatively, I'll be working in the service department of Out Of Doors Mart, and try to fill some holes in their staff. If any of y'all want your trailer or motor home "fixed on", come by and see us/me there.
I'll be posting about our trip there in upcoming installments...
Terry, that sounds great!

Wish you had posted this last week. We just came back from Danville VA where Susan was racing at VIR. We were only 61 miles from you. We'll let you know in advance next time we make the trip to VIR for a race event, possibly you can come up for a visit and watch some good vintage racing.

Congrats on the new job and I hope it works out well for you.

By the way, have the reopened I-40 east and west between NC and Tennessee?

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel