Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping > Full-Timing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #821
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Terry,

You will soon learn that we have mountains in this state, the highest and lowest point in the continental US is in California.

We are somewhat laid back, especially when you leave the large city center ie, LA and SF.

Could you clarify the last item, please.

Bill
I was with Terry, when we were told that LP gas is different than Propane.

Tomorrow, we will strive to find out if that indeed is a fact.

They filled a bottle for our fork lift, but refused to fill the bottle from his trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #822
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

They filled a bottle for our fork lift, but refused to fill the bottle from his trailer.

Andy
Interesting, I assume that this was at a propane distributor such as Amerigas, Mutual or Suburban and not the local gas station.

You might direct them to the LP Gas magazine, published by the United States Propane Industry.

Regardless, I am sure that the two of you will get to the bottom of this issue.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #823
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
I had to Google that one to see - Wikipedia.
Check out the second paragraph.

Quote:
Propane is a three-carbon alkane, normally a gas, but compressible to a liquid that is transportable. It is derived from other petroleum products during oil or natural gas processing. It is commonly used as a fuel for engines, barbecues, and home heating systems.
When used as vehicle fuel, it is commonly known as liquified petroleum gas (LPG or LP-gas), which can be a mixture of propane along with small amounts of propylene, butane, and butylene. The odorant ethanethiol is also added so that people can easily smell the gas in case of a leak.
and further down the page:

Quote:
Commercially-available "propane" fuel, or LPG, is not pure. Typically in the USA and Canada, it is primarily propane (at least 90%), with the rest mostly butane and propylene (5% maximum), plus odorants. This is the HD-5 standard, (Heavy Duty-5%maximum allowable propylene content) written for internal combustion engines. LPG, when cracked from methane (natural gas), does not contain propylene. LPG, when refined from crude oil does contain propylene. Not all products labelled "propane" conform to this standard. In Mexico, for example, the butane content is much higher.
Quote:
Liquefied petroleum gas (also called LPG, GPL, LP Gas, or autogas)...
Varieties of LPG bought and sold include mixes that are primarily propane, mixes that are primarily butane, and the more common, mixes including both propane (60%) and butane (40%)
Who'da thunk?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #824
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The tank the industrial gas place filled for the forklift was labeled "Propane", while the one for the trailer was labeled "LP".
Interestingly, out in the yard here, there is an old LP tank, labeled "Propane" and LP gas" on the same label, with the same UN code. There are many places here that will happily fill our tank, we just know that next time we won't try to save a trip, and get both forklift and trailer tanks filled at the industrial gas place.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #825
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The LP questions reminds me that I did see something about LP or LPG being different. Thanks for the definitions which don't entirely clarify it unfortunately. I thought LP(G) meant liquid petroleum (gas)—and that could mean many things and maybe was intended to.

I suppose the most important question—does it make a difference? I am sure if you are confused with all your experience, others are confused including RV campgrounds and may have the wrong gas. Would non-100% propane cause problems with the propane appliances lighting and affect efficiency?

At the last place we filled our tanks, the guy who filled them went through a more detailed procedure than I'd seen before and told me it was required in Colorado. This was the 3rd time for a fill in Colorado and no one else went through his protocol. I didn't particularly understand what he was doing, just that he did more. He did loosen a screw on the top until gas came out, then tightened it. I don't know why he did that.

I will confirm the western sun heats up asphalt. It heats up the ground too—our driveway is gravel and dirt and can get painfully hot when on your back or just putting your hand on it in summer, and even now with temps in the 60's and 70's. Having spent a lot of time in Florida when my parents were alive, I'll take California any day. A good move for you guys.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #826
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Closing this Tread?

I'm assuming that the three of you will be in the market for "brick & mortar" soon - especially with a rusted frame rail.

Are you ready for California Sticker Shock? And don't forget that an Airstream might survive "the big one" better than a house. Then of course there are the mudslides and wildfires.

So what does the future hold? Is it time to close this thread or shall we wait a month or so until you find a house?

On the other hand, look in the classifieds, there's a way cool 34' listed right now. Something to out-behemouth the behemouth... Let Sophie negotiate the deal. I'm sure she's well on her way to owning Inland already.

Paula
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #827
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
"It's not like we're taking it across the country"...

Here are some photos of the rotted frame. It's worse than it looks, and looks like about the front 14 feet of frame will have to be rebuilt or replaced. Atthis point, when you walk through the trailer, it feels like you're walking downhill after you get past the kitchen sink. The good news is, there is a donor frame here, we may be performing the largest frame repair I've attempted so far...
I'm currently weighing whether it would be more cost effective to repair the frame, or find a comparable unit, and install the bits and pieces we've already replaced in the "new" unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame damage 001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	69075   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame damage 002.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	69076  

Name:	frame damage 003.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	69077   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame damage 004.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	69078  

Name:	frame damage 005.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	69079   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame damage 006.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	69080  

Name:	frame damage 007.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	69081   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame damage 008.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	69082  

Name:	frame damage 009.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	69083  
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #828
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Here are some photos of the rotted frame. It's worse than it looks, and looks like about the front 14 feet of frame will have to be rebuilt or replaced.
Wholly mackerel! Something rotten in Denmark, huh?

That looks like a somplete swap-out is the quickest way to go, providing you can find a donor frame.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #829
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
How lucky are you that you made it to California? Everything looked fine when I saw you last week. I wonder if it was just the floor and belly pan holding everything in place then. Best of luck with whatever repair plan you come up with.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #830
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
14 FEET? Wow! Is this only on one side or both? What does the trailer look like underneath with the belly pan on? Does the belly pan look protrude downward toward the ground?

I had some rust damage just forward of the door on the main frame rail on the bottom of the rail (curbside). We took ours out for the first time a couple of weekends ago and I have a slight "downhill" feeling near that area. I've been debating on whether to remove that center-forward piece of the belly pan to check it again. But, we changed several other things (new tires, the way it is parked in the backyard) just before we took it out, so maybe it's nothing. I guess the best idea is to drop that part of the pan again before cold weather sets in.

Great that y'all made it there in one piece. I got a little concerned about you all when we went a couple days without an update here on the thread.

The really good news is that you're in the best place on the planet to take care of a problem like this one. Would make for a great "how to" thread.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #831
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
At this point, no matter what we decide (unless it is a radiator-cap-jack repair), it will have to wait until we no longer occupy Bertha.
We have a complete frame from a 1986 32' Excella sitting in the back lot, there is about 25 feet of 5" frame stock on the shelf, along with outriggers and braces, and I have a lead on a cool Argosy trailer. So, there are several options, depending on how we want to proceed. The Argosy is a 28' or 30' rear twin model (late 1970's). Decisions, decisions. The frame repair would be least excpensive, followed by front frame replacement, followed by complete trailer replacement, followed by full-frame replacement. I wonder who else has done a Monty on a Sovereign...
Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #832
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh my!

It is a miracle you made it out west without even worse happening on the road. I'm so glad you're in California with Inland and some options rather than stranded out in the desert.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #833
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Goodness, Makes me terrified to look under mine to figure out the rear end sag. On the upside, you are located at the right spot in terms of parts. Here is hopping you qualify for massive employee discounts

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #834
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Oh my!

It is a miracle you made it out west without even worse happening on the road. I'm so glad you're in California with Inland and some options rather than stranded out in the desert.
It's either a testament to the engineering of Airstream, or "God protects fools and drunks", depending on your perspective.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #835
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm covering those squares. Plenty of room for compatible souls, too.

Glad you landed well, Terry. Looking forward to news of how you overcome this newest challenge.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #836
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I'm covering those squares. Plenty of room for compatible souls, too.

Glad you landed well, Terry. Looking forward to news of how you overcome this newest challenge.

Pat
At this point, unless someone drops a 29 foot or longer trailer in my lap, I'm leaning heavily toward using the donor frame half to perform the repair. We'll be supporting the front, removing the lower interior panels, disconnecting the outriggers and crossmembers from the floor, removing the bannana wrap, LP lines, LP tanks, remains of the belly pan, and taking a sawzall to the front part of the frame, just forward of the water tank mounts. I don't think this would be possible with us living in the trailer, so it looks like Bertha has made her last trip for a while, probably at least several months. We'l continue living aboard Bertha until we find more permanent quarters, so we'll at least keep up this thread until then. There were several updates and upgrades I was planning, but I think they should be put on hold until the frame issue is sorted out. For example, I won't bother repairing the blanket locker until we are ready to tow again, as it is fine for stationary use. The same for the none-too-good tambours that I haven't replaced yet. Obviously, if something breaks I'm going to fix it, but I won't be continuing replacement of the clearance lights with LEDs, it's pointless on a trailer that can't move.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #837
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ignorance is bliss

It looks to me that you need...
Some POR 15...
Some belly pan rivits...
and a short memory...

Super glad ya'll made it to the new 'home' with a minimal amount of issues.

Sad that we didn't have the chance to meet before ya'll left our neighborhood...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #838
3 Rivet Member

Sorry to hear about the condition of your trailer. It may be better to search for a comparable unit.

Once you get into repairs you may find yourself way over your head as other issues come up. I know, it happened to me once! It became a money pit. By the time I was finished I could have bought a comparable unit for much less.

There are a lot of nice units on the West Coast. In So Cal we don't have the issues so much with frame rot.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #839
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
4- When driving down the street, and you see a sign stating "caution: 11% grade" ahead, it would be a good idea to at least take your foot off the gas. That wasn't thunder y'all heard last night, that was the sonic boom from us going downhill...
I hope you got at least 1 good YEE-HAW!! in.... and then changed your shorts.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #840
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Training Day

No, not the Denzel Washington movie, but our spending most of the day at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum. Many of you know I have more than a passing interest in railroads, and railroad history, and have worked for a railroad museum, as well as being a director for another one. In fact, the proceeds from the sale of most of my toy trains financed the purchase of Bertha, 17 months ago.
We had nothing scheduled for this weekend, so decided to drive over to the museum, located in Perris, California. While traveling to that museum, we passed an air museum near Perris, and will go back there another weekend.
I won't bore you with the majority of the trip, as things like that may not interest you, but we enjoyed ourselves running around and over the equipment, and I got to ride in (and briefly run) a string of locomotives being moved for repair. Normally visitors are not allowed on the equipment, but they made an exception for us. I didn't have much trouble with my hip boarding and detraining, but next time we are going to wear hats, and sunscreen. I was wearing a red shirt, and my head is nearly as red as the shirt. Here's a picture of Frank, one of the diesel repair people on the property, driving our string of engines and cars:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OERMX 003.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	70226  

Tags
1974 sovereign, travel